Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identity Found (Remembered)
If this season turns around, this will be the game that marks the turning point.

This Offense is a pass happy Offense, and it's time to embrace it. Mixon got what 8 attempts and they were all meaningful.

It may be time to embrace this approach and not try to play to the notion of a "balanced" approach.

Throw 85% of the time, remain in shotgun, and embrace it.

I think the Oline has made strides in pass pro and can handle the approach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: If this season turns around, this will be the game that marks the turning point.

This Offense is a pass happy Offense, and it's time to embrace it. Mixon got what 8 attempts and they were all meaningful.

It may be time to embrace this approach and not try to play to the notion of a "balanced" approach.

Oddly enough it was one of Mixon’s better games. If he’s averaging 5 YPC I don’t see no reason to abandon the run game.

Offensive line is continuing to gel more and more each game. NO was way too injured to be super excited to win a close game, but there’s only I think 8 teams with a better record than we have so it’s been a very even year all around the league. We just need to keep ourselves in a good position while the offensive line continues to improve (hopefully) and our defense gets healthy. Atlanta went from a sure fire win to a much tougher game. Although Cleveland is falling apart so maybe we can swap our expectations on those 2.
Reply/Quote
I would be 100% fine with us only running it in short yardage situations like 2nd/3rd and 1s, and at the goal line. I am also fine with all of those runs coming out of the shotgun and not under center, unless it is a QB sneak obviously.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Mixon's 5 YPC was a big contributor to why the passing game was working. You have to have a run threat against those 2 deep safety looks to keep the LBs from getting depth and filling that middle zone.
Reply/Quote
I wish they would have ran more this game tbh. Mixon and the run game has looked great the past two weeks since they have ditched a lot of the outsize zone crap.

This team doesn't need to be one dimensional. They can't just ditch the run because teams will continue to just play cover two against them. Being successful with the run and keeping teams honest is the key to this offense being good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:11 AM)Roland Wrote: Mixon's 5 YPC was a big contributor to why the passing game was working. You have to have a run threat against those 2 deep safety looks to keep the LBs from getting depth and filling that middle zone.

And the thing is you don’t need to run 400 times either. I think Zac for some reason thought he had to run a lot to achieve balance.

No.

If you run only 20% of your snaps but on most of those snaps you are getting 5 YPC the defense will still have to respect the run. We only rushed Mixon 8 times yesterday and it was great
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:53 AM)Garrus Wrote: I would be 100% fine with us only running it in short yardage situations like 2nd/3rd and 1s, and at the goal line. I am also fine with all of those runs coming out of the shotgun and not under center, unless it is a QB sneak obviously.

Yeah we gotta realize our team won’t fit a stencil mold of how football should be played.

A team with 3 elite WRs and a good TE probably shouldn’t have great pass vs run balance. We should also probably be running out the shotgun for more than half our snaps. Don’t even go under center. Run and pass from the shotgun. Teams will not know what to do. And that’s when those Higgins and Chase bombs open back up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Can't go away from the run or opponents will just go back to playing the safeties deep. If Mixon is getting 5 or more per, it would be insane not to run it.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't go away from the run or opponents will just go back to playing the safeties deep. If Mixon is getting 5 or more per, it would be insane not to run it.

Agree with you and Weezy.   You can see a slight renaissance of run-heavy success of late around the league.   Team's that are expected to lose are winning games this way (Falcons, Jets, Giants etc). Mariotta only threw it 14 times. Z Wilson threw it 18.  It can force a team to respect what you are doing, and we have the arial weapons to really make them pay on the opportunities provided when the coverage softens.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: If this season turns around, this will be the game that marks the turning point.

Must be Balance in all Things Daniel-San
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:38 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: Agree with you and Weezy.   You can see a slight renaissance of run-heavy success of late around the league.   Team's that are expected to lose are winning games this way (Falcons, Jets, Giants etc). Mariotta only threw it 14 times.  Z Wilson threw it 18.   It can force a team to respect what you are doing, and we have the arial weapons to really make them pay on the opportunities provided when the coverage softens.  

This offense literally transformed once we were successful running. The second half against Balt and now against the saints. Things have opened up so much. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The speed bump this year seems to be getting over 500 win %. Hope next week we can get over that hump.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I wish they would have ran more this game tbh. Mixon and the run game has looked great the past two weeks since they have ditched a lot of the outsize zone crap.

This team doesn't need to be one dimensional. They can't just ditch the run because teams will continue to just play cover two against them. Being successful with the run and keeping teams honest is the key to this offense being good.

Yep. Pissed me off in the first series with 3rd and less than a yard they did not establish the run. NO was bringing all the heat full well knowing the pass was coming. Maybe JB just refused to audible out of it. Of course, I'm sure the Bengals never expected to five up 230 plus yards on the ground and that their overall number of possession would be so limited.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:48 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Oddly enough it was one of Mixon’s better games. If he’s averaging 5 YPC I don’t see no reason to abandon the run game.

Offensive line is continuing to gel more and more each game. NO was way too injured to be super excited to win a close game, but there’s only I think 8 teams with a better record than we have so it’s been a very even year all around the league. We just need to keep ourselves in a good position while the offensive line continues to improve (hopefully) and our defense gets healthy. Atlanta went from a sure fire win to a much tougher game. Although Cleveland is falling apart so maybe we can swap our expectations on those 2.

They ran EVERY play out of Shotgun except a kneel down at the end and a sneak.

This worked.

They didn't frankenstein things together and run out of under center and pass out of shotgun. ie The playbook being a mess was the issue. This was a step towards correcting it.
Reply/Quote
They ran smart and they ran successfully, and all of the short passes have much the same effect as the run.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote