Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Awuzie comes back and we lock down the Chiefs WRs again and advance to the SB how
Do you justify not resigning Awuzie?

With Awuzie(Obviously he didn’t guard every Chief's WR by himself but he was our #1 CB in 2021 so he gets a lot of credit) we held the Chiefs WR core to 1 TD and no WR had 60 yards.

Without Awuzie Marquez Valdez Scantling made us his ***** and he went for 100+ and a TD by himself.

If we make playoffs again and get against the Chiefs again with Awuzie and we win and we go back to locking up the Chiefs WRs, how do we not give him a contract?

At that point his agent would say Awuzie is the reason we can defend the Chiefs and i don’t see how we get around being out of our league price wise.

Do you guys feel Awuzie would have a claim to this if we were able to beat the Chiefs again with him healthy?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 06:28 PM)Housh Wrote: Do you justify not resigning Awuzie?

With Awuzie(Obviously he didn’t guard every Chief's WR by himself but he was our #1 CB in 2021 so he gets a lot of credit) we held the Chiefs WR core to 1 TD and no WR had 60 yards.

Without Awuzie Marquez Valdez Scantling made us his ***** and he went for 100+ and a TD by himself.

If we make playoffs again and get against the Chiefs again with Awuzie and we win and we go back to locking up the Chiefs WRs, how do we not give him a contract?

At that point his agent would say Awuzie is the reason we can defend the Chiefs and i don’t see how we get around being out of our league price wise.

Do you guys feel Awuzie would have a claim to this if we were able to beat the Chiefs again with him healthy?

I think Zac and Lou will give their opinion to Duke and the 3 decide.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
How do they not give him a contract? By giving Chase $35m/yr.

Probably will be CTB and Turner as 1-2 in 2024 and they'll draft another guy and sign another B-C tier guy in FA. They were able to spend a ton of money on their defense the last 3 years because they weren't spending on the big offensive positions. Now they have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Orlando who they all want to have simultaneously paid and that will take away money from the defensive side.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 08:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How do they not give him a contract? By giving Chase $35m/yr.

Probably will be CTB and Turner as 1-2 in 2024 and they'll draft another guy and sign another B-C tier guy in FA. They were able to spend a ton of money on their defense the last 3 years because they weren't spending on the big offensive positions. Now they have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Orlando who they all want to have simultaneously paid and that will take away money from the defensive side.

And fits their strategy with Myles Murphy as well. Chase Brown for Mixon. Charlie Jones for Tyler Boyd. They’d better hit in the draft from here on out if they want to continue to be title contenders.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

This post is kind of disingenuous.  Eli and CTB both played excellent games vs KC.  Unless your plan with Awuzie is to somehow replace Hilton?   Every pass over 5 yards to Marquez Valdez Scantling was against Hilton.  

Reply/Quote
Far be it from me to suggest that money doesn't grow on trees in the middle of Paycore stadium. I've never actually stood in the middle of the stadium so there is a possibility I could be wrong..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We went undefeated without Awuzie in the regular season (including beating the Chiefs) and made it all the way to the AFC title game. We'll bfine.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
My guy Ivey is waiting in the wings to be the next 7th rd superstar!!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My guy Ivey is waiting in the wings to be the next 7th rd superstar!!

Locked on Bengals didn’t really say he was ballin out but i think he did get a pick at camp and the phrase they used was “he doesn’t look lost” which apparently is a really really big compliment to a 7th round rookie.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Regardless of how this season plays out, why would I justify not re-signing him? He's been fantastic for us, so get him extended as quickly as possible.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 09:51 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Regardless of how this season plays out, why would I justify not re-signing him? He's been fantastic for us, so get him extended as quickly as possible.

Personally he’d have to turn into Jalen Ramsey for me to even think about another deal. We just don’t have the money but if he goes crazy it’s gonna be HARD. Would a Awuzie coming off a great year make a guy like Reader, Hubbard or Cappa a cut candidate? It’s easy to say no now but next offseason is gonna be another off-season where we lose multiple guys. And If we thought losing Bates and Bell sucked imagine losing Reader, Cappa, Awuzie, and maybe Hubbard within 2 off seasons.

Shits crazy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 12:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Personally he’d have to turn into Jalen Ramsey for me to even think about another deal. We just don’t have the money but if he goes crazy it’s gonna be HARD. Would a Awuzie coming off a great year make a guy like Reader, Hubbard or Cappa a cut candidate? It’s easy to say no now but next offseason is gonna be another off-season where we lose multiple guys. And If we thought losing Bates and Bell sucked imagine losing Reader, Cappa, Awuzie, and maybe Hubbard within 2 off seasons.

Shits crazy

You scared me there, so I had to look it up.  Hubbard becomes a FA in 2026, so we still have him locked up for 3 more seasons.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 12:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You scared me there, so I had to look it up.  Hubbard becomes a FA in 2026, so we still have him locked up for 3 more seasons.

Hes a cut candidate I think around when Chase is due.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:07 PM)Housh Wrote: Locked on Bengals didn’t really say he was ballin out but i think he did get a pick at camp and the phrase they used was “he doesn’t look lost” which apparently is a really really big compliment to a 7th round rookie.

So in Hobson's world he's the next Charles Woodson?
Reply/Quote

Chido was a huge surprise to me.  I didn't think much of him coming from Dallas, but he has been outstanding.  That being said, there will have to be discussions about which player is more valuable to the team?  Remember how this team looked when they didn't have good LBs?  Logan Wilson is due for an extension.  DJ Reader could make me do the dreaded 3rd contract (dreaded seemingly in the Bengal's eyes), and I REALLY want to have Tee Higgins with Ja'Marr and Joe.  

The fact that the Bengals drafted DJ Turner in Round 2 signals that they will at least try to be prepared for life without Chido.  

It is a really tough call, and I would rank CB as high as any position on the defensive side of the ball but having that cheap contract alternative could be the end of Chido as a Bengal.  That being said:  I sure think he will be outstanding this year and will help the Bengals win a Lombardi before getting huge dollars here or elsewhere.  
Reply/Quote
They drafted DJ Turner and Cam Taylor Britt for a reason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Because the Bengals only have so much money.

Bengals are not realistically going to be able to keep all of Awuzie, Reader, Higgins, Chase, Burrow, and Logan Wilson when they all are up for their next contracts over the next couple years...unless some are willing to take big team-friendly deals.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

As a heads up, MVS had two receptions that game when lined up against an outside CB and both went for less than 8 yards. Every other reception was a large pickup and every one came against Hilton except for one that was a swing pass out of the backfield. Basically, Awuzie not being in the game had nothing to do with MVS's success as he wasn't going to travel into the slot with him. They (Chiefs) were keying on the size speed advantage he had when lined up against Hilton in man coverage.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My guy Ivey is waiting in the wings to be the next 7th rd superstar!!

Sure would be cool, heard some good things about Ivey. Could be the most underrated pick of the Draft.

I also like the Sydney Jones pickup in FA if he can stay healthy. I agree with TLL that we cannot pay everybody. Too bad, love Chido.

We just have to hope Lou does well with the young guys in CTB, Turner, Ivey etc.

I have faith.
Reply/Quote
I think i should make it more specific

Basically the question was asking if Awuzie comes back and has an all pro year how do you justify letting him walk? Not just a solid year or an average year. Like what if he’s comes back and is a top 5 corner? We still happy with letting him go in FA?

I think it would cause some tough conversations
-Housh
Reply/Quote