Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Bengals win Sunday and Bills lose, #2 seed for us?
I am no expert, but if Bengals win to go to 12-4 and Bills lose to go to 12-4 with both teams having same conference record of 8-3, Bengals would go to the 2 seed over Buffalo due to SOS I believe.

After looking closely at the playoff implications, I just don't see how the NFL can't resume the Cincy/Buffalo game to determine an outcome.

If Bills win this Sunday, then they would lose #1 seed to KC if game is not played.

Of course if KC loses, then #1 seed is really up for grabs.

Too many teams impacted to cancel the game and not play it IMHO

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here's an idea. If our game with the Bills doesn't get finished, and KC, Bills, and Bengals all win Sunday, KC unfortunately gets the 1 seed. Bengals and Bills get 2/3 Seed. If we end up playing the Bills in playoffs, make it at a neutral site like Indy, or Detroit.
Reply/Quote
If Chiefs win Bengals win and get 2 seed. Chiefs lose Bengals win and get 1 seed.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Chiefs win Bengals win and get 2 seed. Chiefs lose Bengals win and get 1 seed.

False. Bengals only have 12wins to chiefs13.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals-Bills game is nulled, then yes. This is the case.

Bengals beat Ravens AND Patriots beat Bills = Bengals as 2-seed, Bills as 3-seed. The Bengals would win the tiebreaker based on strength of victory.
Reply/Quote
The Bills would have the biggest beef if they consider a tie and all win this weekend.

They would have the same number of losses as KC and beat them head to head, yet get #2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The Bills would have the biggest beef if they consider a tie and all win this weekend.

They would have the same number of losses as KC and beat them head to head, yet get #2

Except that would be better for them than playing the Bengals at Paycor and losing and getting the 3rd seed. And if they played the Bengals at Paycor, i fully expect the Bills to lose. So, they would not have the biggest beef. The Bengals would have the biggest beef.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:56 AM)Nepa Wrote: Except that would be better for them than playing the Bengals at Paycor and losing and getting the 3rd seed. And if they played the Bengals at Paycor, i fully expect the Bills to lose. So, they would not have the biggest beef. The Bengals would have the biggest beef.

Nah, yours is a "what if". The Bengals have lost more games than the Chiefs, the Bills have not.

WTS, there's going to be no "right answer". I'm just happy we're talking about where we'll be seeded instead of who we should draft
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:50 AM)Foolishpride Wrote: Here's an idea.  If our game with the Bills doesn't get finished, and KC, Bills, and Bengals all win Sunday, KC unfortunately gets the 1 seed.  Bengals and Bills get 2/3 Seed.  If we end up playing the Bills in playoffs, make it at a neutral site like Indy, or Detroit.

Yeah, this is an idea I liked as well. If we all win on Sunday, we know we can't get the #1 seed, so the Bills game is only important to differentiate the #2 (for us).

If scheduling really cannot work this one out, then I agree that you cannot fairly just make the Bills the #2 and us the #3. The fact they have one more win than us doesn't mean a lot in this case, because that #2 seed was just as much in our hands as theirs. Whoever won the game between us, took the #2 seed (ignoring an unlikely tie here) or them the #1 if they won. 

That said it's not ideal either. Would the Bills concede the idea we should get home advantage? I doubt guys here would be happy with us giving ours up. Would either team be happy with a neutral venue? We all believe we'd have won and would then have a rocking Jungle for hosting the playoff game.

I think whoever sorts this out will be hoping that Sunday's games provide definitive enough results, where the teams look at least a bit like their usual selves. It might be easier to just get Buffalo to forfeit our game, if they lose on Sunday without playing like crap and we/KC win. That way 'all' that's being conceded is the #2 spot in the name of keeping the schedule on track, and then maybe the Bengals/Bills can decide between them as to whether it's fairer to host it in Cincinnati or at a neutral venue if we both win the wildcard games.

In any case I think Sunday will provide some clarity as to where the NFL can go with resolving this one.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:43 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah, this is an idea I liked as well. If we all win on Sunday, we know we can't get the #1 seed, so the Bills game is only important to differentiate the #2 (for us).

If scheduling really cannot work this one out, then I agree that you cannot fairly just make the Bills the #2 and us the #3. The fact they have one more win than us doesn't mean a lot in this case, because that #2 seed was just as much in our hands as theirs. Whoever won the game between us, took the #2 seed (ignoring an unlikely tie here) or them the #1 if they won. 

That said it's not ideal either. Would the Bills concede the idea we should get home advantage? I doubt guys here would be happy with us giving ours up. Would either team be happy with a neutral venue? We all believe we'd have won and would then have a rocking Jungle for hosting the playoff game.

I think whoever sorts this out will be hoping that Sunday's games provide definitive enough results, where the teams look at least a bit like their usual selves. It might be easier to just get Buffalo to forfeit our game, if they lose on Sunday without playing like crap and we/KC win. That way 'all' that's being conceded is the #2 spot in the name of keeping the schedule on track, and then maybe the Bengals/Bills can decide between them as to whether it's fairer to host it in Cincinnati or at a neutral venue if we both win the wildcard games.

In any case I think Sunday will provide some clarity as to where the NFL can go with resolving this one. 

I, and I am sure a lot of people and commentators, will be extremely pissed at the NFL if the NFL officials decide after the weekend whether or not to play the Bengals-Bills game. It means they are deciding what seedings they want. This cannot be emphasized enough. Numerous potential outcomes of the weekend lead to this criticism.

Example 1. KC and Buffalo win. If the league decides not to have the Bills-Bengals conclude their game, then they are fine with KC being the #1 seed. If they decide to play the game, they are saying they want the Bills to have a chance for the #1 seed. If KC and Buffalo lose and Cincinnati wins, then by some tie-breaker scenarios, the Bengals are #1 seed, Buffalo #2, and KC #3. If the league decides to finish the Bills-Bengals game then they signal they are not happy with that scenario. If they decide not to play the game, they signal the opposite. If the Ravens beat the Bengals, then what the league decides is whether or not they are happy with the Bengals winning the division. I can't think of a single scenario where it doesn't look like the NFL is choosing winners and losers after the fact if they don't tell the rules ahead of time.

The NFL will inescapably look like their rigging the results they want if they do not tell teams before Saturday whether or not the Bengals-Bills game will be played. You do not wait for the results to tell teams the rules. You tell the teams the rules before the weekend games.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, yours is a "what if". The Bengals have lost more games than the Chiefs, the Bills have not.

WTS, there's going to be no "right answer". I'm just happy we're talking about where we'll be seeded instead of who we should draft

Of course it's a "what if." Yours is literally a "what if" also. The whole thread is a "what if." 

What I want is the league to tell us the rules so that the "what if" scenarios are clear before the games, not decided by league bureaucrats after looking at the results and deciding what they want.
Reply/Quote
I'm over this, I'm ready for the games to be played so we know how we're screwed. If KC loses, I'm gonna riot (assuming they don't resume our MNF game).
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Cincinnati Bengals. Out of that list, who do you think Roger Goodell is going to screw? Get ready for it, cuz it's coming.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am no expert, but if Bengals win to go to 12-4 and Bills lose to go to 12-4 with both teams having same conference record of 8-3, Bengals would go to the 2 seed over Buffalo due to SOS I believe.

After looking closely at the playoff implications, I just don't see how the NFL can't resume the Cincy/Buffalo game to determine an outcome.

If Bills win this Sunday, then they would lose #1 seed to KC if game is not played.

Of course if KC loses, then #1 seed is really up for grabs.

Too many teams impacted to cancel the game and not play it IMHO

Thoughts?
This is where I am at now after a couple days.  I still believe the easiest, least painful solution is for the Bills to forfeit.  With that said I would much rather see the game played.  I know some are worried about injuries or rest, but not playing this game just feels so not right.  There has to be an outcome based on an actual game.  

You are talking about a game determining the 1, 2, and 3 seeds.  Bills shouldn't have to give up #1 and we should have the chance to be in the mix for the #1 as well if KC loses.  KC shouldn't be handed #1 either.  This just really sucks.

As others have said, I hope the NFL announces today what their plans are because if they wait until after the games Sunday, that is rigged to me.  You HAVE to make a decision before the games or the NFL is going to look like the WWF imo.

This also is very not fair to the Ravens who are waiting for the chance to come into Paycor and try to win the division if we had lost to the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:45 AM)Nepa Wrote: I, and I am sure a lot of people and commentators, will be extremely pissed at the NFL if the NFL officials decide after the weekend whether or not to play the Bengals-Bills game. It means they are deciding what seedings they want. This cannot be emphasized enough. Numerous potential outcomes of the weekend lead to this criticism.

Example 1. KC and Buffalo win. If the league decides not to have the Bills-Bengals conclude their game, then they are fine with KC being the #1 seed. If they decide to play the game, they are saying they want the Bills to have a chance for the #1 seed. If KC and Buffalo lose and Cincinnati wins, then by some tie-breaker scenarios, the Bengals are #1 seed, Buffalo #2, and KC #3. If the league decides to finish the Bills-Bengals game then they signal they are not happy with that scenario. If they decide not to play the game, they signal the opposite. If the Ravens beat the Bengals, then what the league decides is whether or not they are happy with the Bengals winning the division. I can't think of a single scenario where it doesn't look like the NFL is choosing winners and losers after the fact if they don't tell the rules ahead of time.

The NFL will inescapably look like their rigging the results they want if they do not tell teams before Saturday whether or not the Bengals-Bills game will be played. You do not wait for the results to tell teams the rules. You tell the teams the rules before the weekend games.

I wish I would have read your post before I posted.  lol.  Would have saved me some typing!

You explained WAY better what I was trying to convey in my post #14.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 08:45 AM)Nepa Wrote: I, and I am sure a lot of people and commentators, will be extremely pissed at the NFL if the NFL officials decide after the weekend whether or not to play the Bengals-Bills game. It means they are deciding what seedings they want. This cannot be emphasized enough. Numerous potential outcomes of the weekend lead to this criticism.

In the following (not unlikely) scenario:

1) KC wins.
2) Bengals Win.
3) Bills lose.

Then the only thing riding on the Bills-Bengals game would be the #2 no? Not nothing, as it impacts the wildcard matchups as well, but far less is to be resolved by the above scenario than any other. #1 Seed already wrapped up by the above. AFCN already wrapped up by the above.

I'm not saying any of this happens, and of course it's far more murky if different results happen, but Sunday's results could work out in a way which makes a decision easier for the NFL to come to.

I do agree a decision before the weekend's games is the far better approach. Gotta try and let teams know what they're playing for.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:31 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: This is where I am at now after a couple days.  I still believe the easiest, least painful solution is for the Bills to forfeit.  With that said I would much rather see the game played.  I know some are worried about injuries or rest, but not playing this game just feels so not right.  There has to be an outcome based on an actual game.  

You are talking about a game determining the 1, 2, and 3 seeds.  Bills shouldn't have to give up #1 and we should have the chance to be in the mix for the #1 as well if KC loses.  KC shouldn't be handed #1 either.  This just really sucks.

As others have said, I hope the NFL announces today what their plans are because if they wait until after the games Sunday, that is rigged to me.  You HAVE to make a decision before the games or the NFL is going to look like the WWF imo.

This also is very not fair to the Ravens who are waiting for the chance to come into Paycor and try to win the division if we had lost to the Bills.

And if they do not announce something prior to the game, and Baltimore comes into Paycor fired up and the Bengals are still walking around in a funk and they lay an "L" on us, then the league saying don't play the Bills game is saying they are picking the Ravens winning the AFCN. 
Reply/Quote
Sounds like the extent of the damage from a "No Contest" is ultimately this:

1) Bengals have no shot at the #1 seed.
2) Ravens have no shot at the division.

With the #2 seed still in play, I think I can come to terms with that. Kinda sucks for the Ravens, but if that fanbase is being honest with itself that team has hardly looked like a division winner since like Week 6.

Now, if the Bills held onto the #2 seed this weekend, I do think it'd be a gesture of good faith by the NFL to arrange a Bills/Bengals matchup in the post-season to be played at a neutral site with both teams receiving 50% of tickets. But I don't know what the logistics of that would look like.

Going back to Arrowhead in a potential AFCC game is hardly ideal, but you never know. Chiefs could get knocked out in their first game and then the path to the Super Bowl runs through Paycor.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:19 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Sounds like the extent of the damage from a "No Contest" is ultimately this:

1) Bengals have no shot at the #1 seed.
2) Ravens have no shot at the division.

With the #2 seed still in play, I think I can come to terms with that.  Kinda sucks for the Ravens, but if that fanbase is being honest with itself that team has hardly looked like a division winner since like Week 6.

Now, if the Bills held onto the #2 seed this weekend, I do think it'd be a gesture of good faith by the NFL to arrange a Bills/Bengals matchup in the post-season to be played at a neutral site with both team's receiving 50% of tickets.  But I don't know what the logistics of that would look like.    

Going back to Arrowhead in a potential AFCC game is hardly ideal, but you never know.  Chiefs could get knocked out in their first game and then the path to the Super Bowl runs through Paycor.

This exactly...good post. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Cincinnati Bengals. Out of that list, who do you think Roger Goodell is going to screw? Get ready for it, cuz it's coming.

This. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote