Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player development
(02-18-2022, 10:36 AM)higgy100 Wrote: True. The real key for both is gaining strength and getting in shape. That's really something the team emphasizes to the nth degreee but it's up to the player and that can be done as well with all the other free time they have. Having HOF type legacy players like Willie who yearns to help younger players simply can't be measured.

The key for Carman from what I hear is to stop believing in his potential and start working on developing it.  The guy appears to think he's all that.

And he's not.   He's all potential at this point and needs to put in a lot of sincere hard study and work

Not all guys with capes are superheroes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was thinking about this yesterday. When do the young guys like Carman and Smith really get to work on improving their game? OTA's are gym short football. Training camp is so watered down now with the rules the Players Association put in place there isn't that much full contact like there used to be. And, during the season practice is mostly installs and walk throughs. These guys need to be spending their summers with Willie Anderson or some other private line coach because during the season isn't going to get it done.

This off-season will be huge for all the guys headed into year two. They find a professional gym, dietarian/nutritionis,t and a personal coach. Carman will have the chance to remake his body and refine the techniques that were taught to him through the previous season. His biggest issues were offseason diet and during the season his hand placement.

Year two is where we usually see Offensive Linemen take a step in the right direction. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 12:13 PM)3wt Wrote: The key for Carman from what I hear is to stop believing in his potential and start working on developing it.  The guy appears to think he's all that.

And he's not.   He's all potential at this point and needs to put in a lot of sincere hard study and work

Not all guys with capes are superheroes.

And that's the issue with lots of players. Playing college ball and coming to the NFL is tough, at least certainly a big jump, for 99% of the players
and Carman even switched from LT to G which is even tougher. You have to be one tough, strong, in-shape SOB to be a good G in the league.

Supposedly, he made a big jump within season but, again, you simply don't have too much time to work on your body/conditioning in season.
We'll know all about his commitment in both 3 months and 6 months.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 08:36 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would look at replacing all five offensive linemen.  Maybe one or two might survive but I wouldn’t count on it.  Free agency is the way to go just like the Bengals did with upgrading the defense last year.

Yep, would say every position is up for grabs and must be won imo. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote