Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM?
(11-23-2018, 05:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I clearly anwsered that by saying he wants to win a championship here.  He doesn't feel like the job here is done.

But he should be honest enough with himself to understand his goal will never be met with him at the helm. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 07:07 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: But he should be honest enough with himself to understand his goal will never be met with him at the helm. 
Do you understand the ego that an NFL Coach has?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 07:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Do you understand the ego that an NFL Coach has?

I do - i am the one in this thread that said it. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: To those who blame Mike Brown at every turn for Marvin being "held back" by his GM that only hands Marvin so called "talent lacking" teams 

You mean guys like this?

(04-30-2018, 04:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: Given the recent O-line problems that have hamstrung the Bengals in recent years, I would lean in the direction of consistently keeping our foot on the gas pedal until the O-line is fixed. I had hoped the Front Office felt the same but they stopped short after good moves with Cordy and Billy.

Will they keep pushing for more, to be Elite on the O-line or do they stop short going forward ?

Not convinced this Front Office will. I see them settling with a middle of the pack O-line and being happy with it longer term. Essentially limiting how successful Pollack could be even if he is only a player or two away from Elite or Top 5 status say in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I clearly anwsered that by saying he wants to win a championship here.  He doesn't feel like the job here is done.

I just wonder at what point he would say enough is enough?

That's when pride/ego/determination take a back seat to collecting a check and settling for the job security.

If it's not... then he's a totally unaware individual who doesn't read, listen, watch any objective scrutiny and understand that his situation is an anomaly that is ridiculous!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The entire Bengals franchise is a victim of Mike Brown's management, not just Marvin Lewis.

But instead of asking why Marv hasn't left, maybe ask why no one has offered Marv a job somewhere else? Remember last year in the final game of the year, it was "Marvin's last game as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals."

That game ended and we were all then talking about who might a good HC for this team. The next day we were talking about who the next coach might be. Marv was available right then and any other team could have at least made overtures toward Marv's agent. I'm guessing no one was.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What if ole Merv is thinking F it my career is ruined why not ride this 10 million a year out as long as I can ? Get my kids set, my kids kids set, buy a small Island in the Pacific and who cares how my legacy goes ?

He knows he is held to zero accountability and doesn't have to worry about getting fired ! Ride er out, 3 more years, 5 ? how ever many ole Mikey will keep playing GM.
Lol i think this is correct
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: There is a very simple answer to why he hasn't left for a better job.

He knows nobody will hire him,the redskins didnt even want him did they
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:58 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: This is EASY MONEY, man! He doesn't even have to win! Just stay mildly relevant every year and he gets an extension. Who wouldn't want a job that pays you millions of dollars to just show up, basically. Marvin is a smart man.

Would marv get a going away interview if he ever left, id like to hear him say his same old cliche stuff like this is unfortanate but ill just have to coach harder and they will have to play better and he will be stuck on repeat till you see marvins head fuse and spark,and he slowly goes out. He might even haywire and start clapping. Then andy dalton will be at the podium and he starts to haywire. Man how funny would that be?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Professional pride; I think he wants to leave this place with a championship. If he had one I think he would have left already.

Well I want to win the lottery too!  At this point my odds are probably as good as ole Marv's.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's no doubt Mike is one of if not the worst GM in the NFL, in many, many ways. But despite that this team has had some pretty good rosters put together more than capable of post season success.

The whole Mike is holding Marvin back from true success is just the last argument the defenders of all things Bengals have to stand on. So they prop it up by it's feeble legs and keep the defense going.

Okay, so Mike is the worst oiwber in the league and marvin is a horrible coach.

Then who gets the credit for the winning record we have since marvin became head coach.

You can try to dismiss regular season success as meaningless, but the fact is it is very hard to win in the NFL.  Half of the coaches are going to fail every week.  Even the best teams don't go undefeated.  And you can act like making the playoffs is easy, but since Marvin became our head coach only 8 teams have done it more often than us.

So if we have the worst owner and a horrible coach then someone somewhere is doing an elite job to produce a winning record.

Who is that?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, so Mike is the worst oiwber in the league and marvin is a horrible coach.

Then who gets the credit for the winning record we have since marvin became head coach.

You can try to dismiss regular season success as meaningless, but the fact is it is very hard to win in the NFL.  Half of the coaches are going to fail every week.  Even the best teams don't go undefeated.  And you can act like making the playoffs is easy, but since Marvin became our head coach only 8 teams have done it more often than us.

So if we have the worst owner and a horrible coach then someone somewhere is doing an elite job to produce a winning record.

Who is that?

I believe even you have said mike brown is not a good owner.

And a career record barely over .500 and no playoff wins is far from elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you can act like making the playoffs is easy, but since Marvin became our head coach only 8 teams have done it more often than us.

Patriots. Steelers. Ravens. Broncos. Colts. Eagles. Packers. Seahawks.
Panthers have made the playoffs as many times as the Bengals.

Notice how every team that has made it to the playoffs more has won a Super Bowl.
If you include teams that are tied, then every team has made a Super Bowl.

Since Marvin became HC, there have been 19 difference teams in the Conference Championship game.
Since Marvin became HC, 26 different teams have won a playoff game.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
He really wants to win in Cincinnati and has a great relationship with everyone on the team. The players absolutely love him and he loves them (This does not mean he's a great coach). That going along with the fact that he has the job security any man would dream of. He definitely tries his best despite his stubbornness (punting vs KC), but if you could get paid a few mil a year and get all the time in the world to do what you think is best for the organization then you would stay too
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 03:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Notice how every team that has made it to the playoffs more has won a Super Bowl.
If you include teams that are tied, then every team has made a Super Bowl.

Exactly.  The very best teams make the playoffs the most often.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 02:58 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I believe even you have said mike brown is not a good owner.

And a career record barely over .500 and no playoff wins is far from elite.

Yes,  I agree that Mike Brown is the worst owner.

And I never said that our record under Marvin has been elite.  But our record under Marvin is better than most other teams, and that just would not be possible if every aspect of our team was horrible.  So to offset the worst owner and a horrible coach someone somewhere has to be doing something at close to an elite level for us to outperform most of the other etams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 11:07 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: He knows nobody will hire him,the redskins didnt even want him did they

They essentially got him in Jay Gruden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:53 PM)depthchart Wrote: Because he likes the stability in knowing he will NEVER BE FIRED,,,,,,
Its like a cush Pre Trump era GOvmt job 
im sure he chuckles himself to sleep everynight thinking that he still gets paid to do this....
….
So he must then think that the situation here is not so bad that he can't ultimately win a Championship.

Would he then feel that his potential Greatness as a Head Coach can overcome the GM that is "holding him back" -OR- that he has enough influence over his GM that he can still influence things to a Championship level ?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 03:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  The very best teams make the playoffs the most often.

They can also at least trip into a playoff win once. 

Almost every year in the Dalton era sans 2015, I think Cincy has been between 14-20 in DVOA. We are pretty consistently average where the difference in our year comes from close wins, beating teams we are supposed to, and getting the occasional win over a playoff team.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2018, 03:34 PM)eoxyod Wrote: They can also at least trip into a playoff win once. 

Almost every year in the Dalton era sans 2015, I think Cincy has been between 14-20 in DVOA. We are pretty consistently average where the difference in our year comes from close wins, beating teams we are supposed to, and getting the occasional win over a playoff team.  

Okay then.  We can't just pretend that 2015 did not happen and even in the other seasons they are ahead of around half the league.

If we have the worst owner and a horrible head coach then who gets credit for being better than all those other teams?  Soemone has to be producing at an elite level to iovercome the worst owner and a horrible head coach.

Have the coordinators and position coaches really been that good?
Reply/Quote