Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If I told you once, I told you twice...
(05-08-2019, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be strange at first, watching a Bengals team that doesn't take it's foot off the gas after a couple quick scores.  We haven't experienced that since Coach Wyche was in charge.

Sam Wyche wanted to curb stomp every opposing team he faced. I sure hope whoever donated Sam’s transplanted heart wasn’t a Steelers or a Browns fan.

Remember the 61-7 win over the Oilers? That was beautiful.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 07:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sam Wyche wanted to curb stomp every opposing team he faced.  I sure hope whoever donated Sam’s transplanted heart wasn’t a Steelers or a Browns fan.  

Remember the 61-7 win over the Oilers?  That was beautiful.

I do, although it's been a while.  I also remember the "You're not in Cleveland" speech.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: True, but he can get us to the significantly harder postseason.

Which is more than I can say for some of these other media darling qb, who have gotten 5+ years.

The media was calling for Dalton's head after the 2013 season. He didn't even get 3 seasons. This after 3 straight playoff appearances (and winning seasons). That's why I stand with Dalton. Too many other qb's get passes, longer leashes with far less team success. That's why I bring up Mariota and Winston which people think are still young and on their rookie contracts so shouldn't be considered, yet couldn't sniff Daltons record his first 3 years. Folks forget the heat Dalton took so early in his career. Heat that you'll never see again for a qb who led his team to winning records and playoff appearances back to back to back to start their career.

You'll never see it again. It was unprecedented when it happened to Dalton, and you haven't seen it since (and won't for it's already been 9 years, and any rookie qb with a run like his will surely be considered a future star). For that we should stand with Dalton against this fake news perception.

If other teams have media darling QB’s who can’t get it done and are being given a free pass for whatever reason, then that is good news for us. We should be happy that our competition does not feel compelled to seek an upgrade over their mediocre QB’s. Let’s just let them continue to ride these fake stars who can’t get it done and extend their contracts despite the constant lack of post season production until the wheels fall off......Who wouldn’t want their competition to operate that way?
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be strange at first, watching a Bengals team that doesn't take it's foot off the gas after a couple quick scores.  We haven't experienced that since Coach Wyche was in charge.

Hold that thought....

https://www.bengals.com/news/in-the-situation-room

Quote:“Do you kick or go for it on fourth down?” Simmons asks. “It can be based on how your offense is playing, how your defense is playing. In addition to how your opponent is playing. Maybe the opponent had a good first half, then we made half-time adjustments and we shut them down. Now maybe we kick that field goal because we’re not in a shootout. Analytics has become a big part, but there’s also a feel to it.”

Simmons was in charge of game time decision and is working with Pitcher who is a hold over is taking over now per ZT's request.

If you can ignore the idea of their half time adjustments (during Marvin era) "shutting teams down". This train of thought may not change much. Unfortunately. The offense should in my opinion always operate as if they are in a shootout. Damn Analytics.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 07:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sam Wyche wanted to curb stomp every opposing team he faced.  I sure hope whoever donated Sam’s transplanted heart wasn’t a Steelers or a Browns fan.  

Remember the 61-7 win over the Oilers?  That was beautiful.

In fairness, that was a special "tribute" to Jerry Glanville.  Wyche never ran the score up as a practice.  

I've often wondered if those two ever mended fences.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: At least he led his team to the playoff's to be awful there.

What about the teams who's qb's can't even lead them to the playoffs so that we can see how they play one way (good) or another (bad)? You know, a lot of these media darlings.

Maybe Dalton was better off not making the playoffs in his 8 years so that he wouldn't be criticized for this and still be beloved by the media you know, like Stafford and his 1 playoff appearance (and winning season) in 11 years under him.

There is also something to be said about the coaches putting their players in the best situation to succeed, and not being predictable.....but I digress.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, when you haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years...you're not going to get a ton of positive media attention. I'd say, anecdotally that we have one of the smallest fan bases in the NFL too.

I do agree with the OP that guys like Winston are overrated.

Dalton is good enough to win with IF the Bengals can surround him with an offensive line and weapons at the skill positions. They have the weapons at the skill positions. The offensive line is a work in progress.

I think a good offensive line is what separates most QB's in the NFL from being good or just average. There are a few guys that seem to be able to transcend that though like Aaron Rodgers. But, even he doesn't win consistently.

This is key, unless you're a sure fire HOFer.  I always see the weapons argument, but folks seem to forget when we went 10-5-1 in 2014 with a MASH unit at all of the receiving options.  Eifert was out, Marvin Jones was out, Gresham played hurt, AJ Green missed significant time, and there was a stretch were Mo Sanu was our WR1.  Dalton put up 252 yards and a TD with Sanu, Sanznebacher, and Tate as his primary targets and won 24-10 against ATL.  We hobbled into Indy with Rex Burkhead as WR2 in the playoffs.  He had 25 TDs passing, 5 or 6 rushing, and even caught a TD pass.  That said, the oline played pretty well that season, even with Bodine as the C.  THAT was the difference.  In 2015, with a top 10 oline, AND his weapons, he was surgical in his dissection of defenses.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote