Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If I were in charge of the Bengals today
(02-15-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carman not playing in the SB is interesting. Why not try him?

The other guys? Idk. They might be outperforming their draft position. 6th round picks are generally special teamers early.

Unless he was injured in warmups or something. but they sounded like he was ok. Carman if you had to choose being the 2nd round pick should have gotten the chance (like Adeniji) to take his lumps if there was lumps they were willing to let be taken. I don't coach Oline, but I did see some good from Carman. I saw better from Adeniji at Tackle in 2020. Then again I saw better from Fred at tackle then Prince so who really knows. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the 2-3 quarters of preseason game and what 3 weeks of training camp he got...developed him?

Can this coach coach the offensive line? They'll have it fixed in 10 days!

I mean he showed better than any of our Oline picks in that small amount of time. Including the 2nd round pick. But he also had mini camps and ota's etc leading up to training camp. 

All I'm saying is that it's a shame we got no development from anyone and really are starting from scratch with building the Oline. 3 picks and none can be relied on for 2022. That is pretty bad (and hard to believe given how great we talk about Pollack being, and his teaching and his billions of dollars worth of training camp equipment). Outside of Williams (who not to start anything is overrated as well around here), and a journey man we treat like a pro bowler that no other team would even sign).

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Unless he was injured in warmups or something. but they sounded like he was ok. Carman if you had to choose being the 2nd round pick should have gotten the chance (like Adeniji) to take his lumps if there was lumps they were willing to let be taken. I don't coach Oline, but I did see some good from Carman. I saw better from Adeniji at Tackle in 2020. Then again I saw better from Fred at tackle then Prince so who really knows. 

I think these guys all have good plays here and there, but the big picture is the issue. And that is, they have a lot of bad plays.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: I mean he showed better than any of our Oline picks in that small amount of time. Including the 2nd round pick. But he also had mini camps and ota's etc leading up to training camp. 

All I'm saying is that it's a shame we got no development from anyone and really are starting from scratch with building the Oline. 3 picks and none can be relied on for 2022. That is pretty bad (and hard to believe given how great we talk about Pollack being, and his teaching and his billions of dollars worth of training camp equipment). Outside of Williams (who not to start anything is overrated as well around here), and a journey man we treat like a pro bowler that no other team would even sign).

Pollack is overrated. He had a line of 1st Round picks in Dallas. But, he's better than Turner and possibly Alexander.

Honestly, I don't know if any coach could make this line that much better.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pollack is overrated. He had a line of 1st Round picks in Dallas. But, he's better than Turner and possibly Alexander.

Honestly, I don't know if any coach could make this line that much better.

Well we have to start drafting better. That's been a problem across all Oline coaches since the twilight years of Alexander. But we don't have time with this window to gamble and develop a young oline now so I hope the draft route is over and FA (legit starters) are the next plan. Time will tell. I think they'll spend the money on the line. Spend the draft on the Defense. 

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well we have to start drafting better. That's been a problem across all Oline coaches since the twilight years of Alexander. But we don't have time with this window to gamble and develop a young oline now so I hope the draft route is over and FA (legit starters) are the next plan. Time will tell. I think they'll spend the money on the line. Spend the draft on the Defense. 

Yes. Drafting won't fix it. Gotta sign a couple proven guys at minimum.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Drafting won't fix it. Gotta sign a couple proven guys at minimum.

Yep! We don't have 3 years to coach up a rook.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well we have to start drafting better. That's been a problem across all Oline coaches since the twilight years of Alexander. But we don't have time with this window to gamble and develop a young oline now so I hope the draft route is over and FA (legit starters) are the next plan. Time will tell. I think they'll spend the money on the line. Spend the draft on the Defense. 

I'd like them to get FA help on the line AND draft their replacements to groom. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is still my major concern going forward. Maybe Burrow is great enough to make a mediocre game plan look good...but maybe against elite teams that won't cut it?

I don't know what Zac and Brian were thinking going into this game after 2 weeks to prepare that is for sure.

They had good game plans for other teams in the season specifically the Ravens and Steelers and in the Playoffs against the 
teams we beat but to not have rollouts, screens and such in the passing game against a front like the Rams is pretty inexcusable. 
That and giving up on the running game with Mixon when it was working. The Rams aren't anymore elite than we are as we saw 
with the score.

If we would of had a better game plan we would be Champs not them. Hopefully Zac and Brian stew on this big time and learn 
from it. I think they will, that is the biggest game of their lives that they screwed up. It will haunt them all Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: He did have him all training camp

From your training camp notes, please detail the areas of Ossai’s development over the 24 days from the start of training camp to when he was injured during the second preseason game.

Quote:and yes Ossia was thought to need developing,

That’s true of almost all rookies. Including the Olineman drafted after him in the 4th and 6th rounds whose development you’re questioning.

Quote:as he was new to the position after playing rush OLB with Texas 3-4 defense. 

Really?

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/joseph-ossai/9802

A three-year defensive lineman and linebacker

honorable mention as the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year

And Lou’s defense uses multiple fronts including rushing OLBs from 3-4 looks.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Unless he was injured in warmups or something. but they sounded like he was ok. Carman if you had to choose being the 2nd round pick should have gotten the chance (like Adeniji) to take his lumps if there was lumps they were willing to let be taken. I don't coach Oline, but I did see some good from Carman. I saw better from Adeniji at Tackle in 2020. Then again I saw better from Fred at tackle then Prince so who really knows. 

Wasn't Carman limited in practice Wednesday? Full practice Thursday? And then limited on Friday after being full practice the day before? Why would a fully healthy player be limited a day after a full practice? Jinkies, this sounds like a job for Scooby and the gang.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is difficult. We can be proud they made it, but it's a once a generation chance for many teams. Now that we made it to the SB, we can look at all the teams that haven't in the last 20 years to remind us how hard this journey really is.

I don't think it's time to call for Pollack to be fired. But certain questions are in order given the lack of progress and Burrow's having to manage a 2nd bum knee for the rest of his career.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2022/2/15/22935928/joe-burrow-injury-news-bengals-qb-knee-rams

One less thing for you to overreact to, maybe.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2022/2/15/22935928/joe-burrow-injury-news-bengals-qb-knee-rams

One less thing for you to overreact to, maybe.

What exactly is your point?  A link about Burrows injury news? When it's already a thread with that update. Are you saying you want me to comment in that thread? As if distracting from the debate on Pollack with trying to argue about the specifics on Ossai wasn't enough. You bring up Burrow's injury. Are you saying the Oline no longer is an issue since he doesn't need surgery? 

Yall love to hate me, but can't seem to quit me. But feel free to discuss who Pollack has developed.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 01:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yeah y’all are right. I’m a bit more mellow now and realize that the approach I outlined is too rough. I should have chilled out before writing it, my error.

Reflecting this, I would still have the week of meetings, but start by thanking the coaches for overachieving versus expectations. Then deep review by position group to include starting the process of identifying free agent targets with the emphasis being on system fit and with a specific direction not to worry about the cost right now. And the announcement of adding at least ten scouts stands.

I still want the meeting because I want the team ready to move fast in free agency.

Good on you JL. I'd give you rep but Holic says it costs me $0.50 per rep point awarded.

During your newly earned ownership; stop by Elizabeth's office and tell her bfine said "what's up".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, Bengals management drafted Carman and didn't sign a veteran Guard like Zeitler or Turner. Only so much a coach can do.

Maybe different playcalls help? I don't know. It's over. Can't go back now.

That game was 100% winnable with better play calling in the 4th. That’s on the coaches. 

At this point my concern is more about keeping Burrow protected, the rest will come. But y’all shouldn’t fall into the trap of “we went to the Super Bowl” as justification that shit doesn’t need to change, now. Your franchise QB was sacked 7 times and got an MCL sprain. One more year like this and his career might be toast. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:49 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: That game was 100% winnable with better play calling in the 4th. That’s on the coaches. 

At this point my concern is more about keeping Burrow protected, the rest will come. But y’all shouldn’t fall into the trap of “we went to the Super Bowl” as justification that shit doesn’t need to change, now. Your franchise QB was sacked 7 times and got an MCL sprain. One more year like this and his career might be toast. 

A broken record repeats itself less than you. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A broken record repeats itself less than you. 

Get off my cajones 
Reply/Quote