Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If I were in charge of the Bengals today
(02-14-2022, 10:52 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I would be a bad leader because I couldn't yell at anyone. The only thing I could do is ask Zac "What do you need from me in order to make this work? Have you and your staff give me an honest evaluation of each starter and backup and we will work from the bottom up of what we can keep or get rid of. Then we can address needs after the cuts, starting with the o-line. Give me your thoughts on free agents you are considering, cap space being secondary. No more glaring mistakes this next time around, okay?"

Yeah, sorry. I'm bad at this.

Not the worst idea at all. I know my tendency is to be rather direct (I never said yell) and I do demand accountability but the enablement approach is also a valid one. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: How does it crush the culture to make it clear the line performance is unacceptable? Remember I LIKE Pollack. But he has explaining to do when the blocking is THIS bad. 

The worst leaders are the ones who yell at their subordinates when they haven't given them the resources to accomplish their mission.  You suck at leadership.  

Nobody thinks that the Oline that management provided was adequate for the job.  Pretending like it was would be disrespectful and clownish. The fact that they came close is cause for kudos, not bullshit gorilla aggression displays to show what a big winner you are.

No, you sit them down and tell them how proud you are of how far they accomplished this season.  And then you assure them that you're going to do everything you can to give them better players to fix the problem.   Then you meet with Burrow and  you tell him the same thing.   Then you have to execute or Burrow is gone after his rookie contract.  If not sooner.  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:57 PM)Roland Wrote: The worst leaders are the ones who yell at their subordinates when they haven't given them the resources to accomplish their mission.  You suck at leadership.  

Nobody thinks that the Oline that management provided was adequate for the job.  Pretending like it was would be disrespectful and clownish. The fact that they came close is cause for kudos, not bullshit gorilla aggression displays to show what a big winner you are.

No, you sit them down and tell them how proud you are of how far they accomplished this season.  And then you assure them that you're going to do everything you can to give them better players to fix the problem.   Then you meet with Burrow and  you tell him the same thing.   Then you have to execute or Burrow is gone after his rookie contract.  If not sooner.  Nervous

This is the absolute truth ^
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Please tell us what you’d do on day two.

Wipe.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Please tell us what you’d do on day two.

Depends on the outcome of day one. If we come out with a good understanding of things and a preliminary list of target players then day two is calling in the director of scouting and informing them that we will be recruiting at least ten more scouts and need recommendations for candidates. 

I figure day three is for Lou and the defense; map out where we liked what happened and what we need to enhance. The defense is not the big issue hence it not being day one. 

Day four is special teams. 

The idea is at the end of this week of sessions there is a working plan for the offseason which is put into operation at once, as time is of the essence with the short interval until Free Agency starts. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Why? Do you EVER want a championship? The ONLY way to get there is to lower the boom and not settle for crap. 

Then fire Taylor lol.  I mean the guy was the coach of Cincinnati when they made it to the SB, but it's not like he led them to the SB. Lady luck shined on him multiple times that allowed Cincy to ESCAPE his decisions  I'm still not sold on Taylor......not at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:14 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: Then fire Taylor lol.  I mean the guy was the coach of Cincinnati when they made it to the SB, but it's not like he led them to the SB. Lady luck shined on him multiple times that allowed Cincy to ESCAPE his decisions  I'm still not sold on Taylor......not at all.

I'm sold on Taylor the Head Coach. Taylor the play caller not so much. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If I was Pollack I would respond with, why did MB force us to draft a an OT with a bad back to play a totally new position with better players on the board.

If I was Pollack I would continue with why did you you think an aging OT like Reiff was the answer?  I would ask where the olinemen from the last 5-7 year drafts that should be our vets today?  I would ask why are you paying WR3 $10M for 4 catches per game while being pissed that 2 guys on minimum wage are not protecting Burrow from multiple All Pros & Hall of Famers?

If I was Taylor I would ask why you think Callahan isnt a real O Coord that couldnt call the plays? Why do you not know teams are interviewing him for head coach?  And if I let him call the plays next year and he leaves, what then?  We do this as a team and even if he leaves I still have continuity with Burrow.

If I was Taylor I would also ask why you think I should sign any contract extension after taking the worst team in the NFL to the SB in only my 3rd year despite an organization that doesnt provide a scouting department, forces us to draft inadequate players, doesnt provide practice facilities, and decides to chew my ass after I literally kicked the shit out of the Rams and would be holding a SB trophy were it not for the incompetence in drafting and FA signings of this pathetic oline?

I hate you for completely dismantling the anger I had towards those guys in my head up until I read this post. Couldn’t you have at least let me be pissed off at them for at least 48 hours.

I’m still mad at Taylor over his decision with Perine but Zach is young and hopefully he never forgets that when it becomes crunch time you have to stop being cute and put your 11 best players out on the field and let them play.
Reply/Quote
You guys may be overrating Pollack. And I don't want to hear about the Rams HOF's when we know it was more than just that game. What has he done to not be questioned? There may be a reason he has bounced around so much and no new coach opts to keep him on the staff.

I don't think he's earned the jungle circling the wagon around him. It isn't just Carman that hasn't developed. Who has? None of the young guys.... Why was Fred benched. He was a much better tackle then guard, and held down the LT spot just as good as Williams for stretches when forced into action. He was benched for a player that missed a year after all the reps he got? Why was Carman benched for Adeniji? Cowboys fans said he drove their lambo into a ditch after taking over the line. JET's line never improved and his 1st round pick was benched (can he evaluate talent?). I think there's more questions there then people are ready to discuss.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: You guys are severly overrating Pollack. And I don't want to hear about the Rams HOF's when we know it was more than just that game. What has he done to not be questioned? There may be a reason he has bounced around so much and no new coach ops to keep him on the staff.

I don't think he's earned the jungle circling the wagon around him. It isn't just Carman that hasn't developed. Who has? None of the young guys.... Why was Fred benched. He was a much better tackle then guard, and held down the LT spot just as good as Williams for stretches when forced into action. He was benched for a player that missed a year after all the reps he got? Why was Carman benched for Adeniji? Cowboys fans said he drove their lambo into a ditch after taking over the line. JET's line never improved and his 1st round pick was benched (can he evaluate talent?). I think there's more questions there then people are ready to discuss.

I'm not ready to get rid of him but I would want him to stand up there and explain exactly what his philosophy is, why these players seem unable to execute it and if they can't then what CAN they execute? If he can't answer these then there is a bigger problem. 

I'm a little less down and angry over the game but I know how freaking difficult getting to the SB is and they were there and THEY BLEW IT. It just feels like chapter three of the Bengals rip out the hearts of their longest suffering fans. 
Reply/Quote
It is difficult. We can be proud they made it, but it's a once a generation chance for many teams. Now that we made it to the SB, we can look at all the teams that haven't in the last 20 years to remind us how hard this journey really is.

I don't think it's time to call for Pollack to be fired. But certain questions are in order given the lack of progress and Burrow's having to manage a 2nd bum knee for the rest of his career.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:15 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: I hate you for completely dismantling the anger I had towards those guys in my head up until I read this post.  Couldn’t you have at least let me be pissed off at them for at least 48 hours.  

I’m still mad at Taylor over his decision with Perine but Zach is young and hopefully he never forgets that when it becomes crunch time you have to stop being cute and put your 11 best players out on the field and let them play.

LOL it perfectly acceptable to question Zac's usage of Perine over Mixon, lack of screens, and just tightening up in the 2nd half, thats what we fans do.  We had the Rams beat... it is definitely frustrating. 
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Joe if you were in charge of the Bengals you'd have some people in the Owner suite with you in these big games. Poor MB be so lonely looking. All the other owners be sourounded by family high fiving their kid's and grandkids. Hugging wives. I be waiting for MB to blink to make sure he alive.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm sold on Taylor the Head Coach. Taylor the play caller not so much. 

I agree with this. It's kind of a fear. That the team will get to good, but not great.

But, Lou somehow turned from a bad coach to a good one...and don't just say they added players. He used an innovative scheme against the Ravens and Chiefs going against how the league defended those teams for instance.

I'd say for 2.5 seasons, we got outclassed in most games...then all of the sudden they weren't getting outclassed. Hopefully, they can build on that and keep improving. Have an elite qb helps.

The offense...is still off. It wasn't good in the playoffs.

These guys are going to get big extensions, so we gotta just hope they keep developing 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Why? Do you EVER want a championship? The ONLY way to get there is to lower the boom and not settle for crap. 

This is also why there is no cure for cancer.

No one has yelled enough at the researchers who have failed so far.

Why can't everyone see how simple the answer is.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:15 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: I hate you for completely dismantling the anger I had towards those guys in my head up until I read this post.  Couldn’t you have at least let me be pissed off at them for at least 48 hours.  

Not defending Zac, but someone posted pff grades...and Mixons pass blocking grade was bad. So you put Perine in on that last drive.

On 2nd down, that was a weird call. Then on 4th down, I don't know what the play was...but sending Chase deep...not sure that's a good move.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is difficult. We can be proud they made it, but it's a once a generation chance for many teams. Now that we made it to the SB, we can look at all the teams that haven't in the last 20 years to remind us how hard this journey really is.

I don't think it's time to call for Pollack to be fired. But certain questions are in order given the lack of progress and Burrow's having to manage a 2nd bum knee for the rest of his career.

I think a better question is to evaluate how we scout lineman. It's not working.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think a better question is to evaluate how we scout lineman. It's not working.

This too. I think Alexander is still scouting them quietly. And he was missing badly in his final years. 

I feel like I read Carman was his pick. Or Adeniji. Or someone. But I remember feeling like he is more involved then we'd like to think. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: You guys may be overrating Pollack. And I don't want to hear about the Rams HOF's when we know it was more than just that game. What has he done to not be questioned? There may be a reason he has bounced around so much and no new coach opts to keep him on the staff.

Oh I don't think he's some great coach...but like Fred was signed off of waivers from Steelers. Same with Spain. Hopkins was coming off a major injury. Same with Adeniji and he's a late round pick.

It's largely a talent issue. You can't build a line of late round picks and undrafted free agents and waiver claims and have a great line.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm not ready to get rid of him but I would want him to stand up there and explain exactly what his philosophy is, why these players seem unable to execute it and if they can't then what CAN they execute? If he can't answer these then there is a bigger problem. 

I'm a little less down and angry over the game but I know how freaking difficult getting to the SB is and they were there and THEY BLEW IT. It just feels like chapter three of the Bengals rip out the hearts of their longest suffering fans. 

Believe me...the coaches know his philosophy.

And believe me, their last oline coach yelled and swore at players and the line was bad.
Reply/Quote