Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Power football and screens anyone?
In no way is it certain but the Rams celebrated (excessively) DL is also something else - it is a bit smaller and lighter. We do have the horses to go with a more power look up front and play downhill smash mouth running. We also excel at screens and the Rams are not at all good at defending them. Carman starting would support this idea as he is rather more powerful then Adeniji.

If it works the Rams have to come up with LB and safety help which opens up better passing.

Just speculating.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes the D line is on the small side (but obviously very athletic), so this game calls for power running, all types of screen passes (RB, WR, Bubble, etc.), quick slants, outlet passes. This will slow down the pass rush of the Rams.

I thought the offensive game plan in this regard was much better against KC as opposed to the Titans pass rush debacle.

I'm expecting this to carry over into this game and people will quickly realize the overwhelming advantage of the Rams D line is being greatly mitigated by the scheme and game plan that Zac Taylor and company came up with.
Reply/Quote
Believe Carman starting leads me to believing that running game may be a focal point on Sunday.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing JoeM and Perine have been doing their due diligence at practice and are fully ready to run over some ram defenders.. Let's certainly hope so.. Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Carman starting leads me to believing that running game may be a focal point on Sunday.

I think it's important to wear their D down.  Also with the heat being what it is.  (I know it's in a dome, but we're still not used to 72).  We need to shorten the game and run clock too.  It will be interesting to see the Bengals' coaches' game plan in this one.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: In no way is it certain but the Rams celebrated (excessively) DL is also something else - it is a bit smaller and lighter. We do have the horses to go with a more power look up front and play downhill smash mouth running. We also excel at screens and the Rams are not at all good at defending them. Carman starting would support this idea as he is rather more powerful then Adeniji.

If it works the Rams have to come up with LB and safety help which opens up better passing.

Just speculating.

There isn't any evidence that running the ball helps your passing game. Think about a cover 3 or cover 1 look - both are single safety high. A safety is already "brought up". These coverages are the most common coverages in the NFL, yet they aren't easier or better to pass on. 

Just like the rest of the playoff games, I really don't care about the run game at this point. It just stinks. They can run more power plays, if they'd like, or they can continue running zone. I'm not expecting much out of them. This game is still on Burrow. I do expect Cincinnati to utilize screens, though. Get the ball in Chase's hands/Mixons hands out in space. I would really love to see Mixon utilized as a receiver more in this game. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 09:46 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: There isn't any evidence that running the ball helps your passing game. Think about a cover 3 or cover 1 look - both are single safety high. A safety is already "brought up". These coverages are the most common coverages in the NFL, yet they aren't easier or better to pass on. 

Just like the rest of the playoff games, I really don't care about the run game at this point. It just stinks. They can run more power plays, if they'd like, or they can continue running zone. I'm not expecting much out of them. This game is still on Burrow. I do expect Cincinnati to utilize screens, though. Get the ball in Chase's hands/Mixons hands out in space. I would really love to see Mixon utilized as a receiver more in this game. 

The Rams strength is their penetrating defensive line. If the Bengals can get the running game going it will force them to plant their feet and 2 gap. Also a consistent run game leads to more 3rd and shorts instead of the 3rd and longs we have seen the last couple of weeks.

As for the run helping the pass it's a given a balanced offense helps both the run and pass.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Carman starting leads me to believing that running game may be a focal point on Sunday.

The running game should be a focus of both teams on Sunday.

Whichever team runs the best wins this game.  No other way to let either Burrow or Stafford do what they do.

For the Rams, Henderson is back off IR, Michel has been pretty idk kinda good (smile) and Akers is still an unknown completely as to what he can do.  He had some drops in the play-offs, but dude had just come back to us off IR.
Reply/Quote
Also, before I say more.

I am a Rams fan. Have enjoyed learning about the Bengals this couple weeks...since here we are.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 10:11 AM)Synric Wrote: The Rams strength is their penetrating defensive line. If the Bengals can get the running game going it will force them to plant their feet and 2 gap. Also a consistent run game leads to more 3rd and shorts instead of the 3rd and longs we have seen the last couple of weeks.

As for the run helping the pass it's a given a balanced offense helps both the run and pass.

Sure, I'm not saying that a run game is useless. If it is working, then it helps. Cincinnati's doesn't work very well is really all I am saying. Cincinnati doesn't have a consistent run game, generally speaking. Sometimes it shows up. 

For your last point, that isn't quite the argument I make. A balanced offense is a necessity - if you throw the ball without concern for the run, defenses get into their pressure packages and can wreak havoc on your QB. This was something the Bills found themselves struggling with this season.  What I am saying is that the effectiveness of your run game matters not for the effectiveness of your pass game. As you run the ball better, your QB doesn't perform better. His rating doesn't go up, his success rate doesn't go up, his YPA doesn't go up, he doesn't throw for more TDs, on and on. The inverse is true as well. As your running game doesn't perform, your QB doesn't play worse. There is zero correlation to QB play and RB play. They are independent of each other. 

What a balanced offense helps with is ambiguity within your playcalling. There has to be variety for effectiveness, unless your in a special situation where you have Tom Brady or something along those lines.
Reply/Quote
It would be amazing to see the Bengals OL get push, I can't recall the last time I have seen that. Mixon normally has no hole.. Not even a little slit. I am not sure a coked up chicken could run behind the Bengals OL. Hopefully they can do some power running, not holding my breath.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 10:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sure, I'm not saying that a run game is useless. If it is working, then it helps. Cincinnati's doesn't work very well is really all I am saying. Cincinnati doesn't have a consistent run game, generally speaking. Sometimes it shows up. 

For your last point, that isn't quite the argument I make. A balanced offense is a necessity - if you throw the ball without concern for the run, defenses get into their pressure packages and can wreak havoc on your QB. This was something the Bills found themselves struggling with this season.  What I am saying is that the effectiveness of your run game matters not for the effectiveness of your pass game. As you run the ball better, your QB doesn't perform better. His rating doesn't go up, his success rate doesn't go up, his YPA doesn't go up, he doesn't throw for more TDs, on and on. The inverse is true as well. As your running game doesn't perform, your QB doesn't play worse. There is zero correlation to QB play and RB play. They are independent of each other. 

What a balanced offense helps with is ambiguity within your playcalling. There has to be variety for effectiveness, unless your in a special situation where you have Tom Brady or something along those lines.

I disagree and always will because your numbers are skewed by spread shotgun teams like the Bill's and Chiefs that have a high play action percentage but do it mostly because of the design. They will even pretend to hand it off when the running back runs the other way on a swing route. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Samaje. Perine.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:08 AM)Synric Wrote: I disagree and always will because your numbers are skewed by spread shotgun teams like the Bill's and Chiefs that have a high play action percentage but do it mostly because of the design. They will even pretend to hand it off when the running back runs the other way on a swing route. 

Play-action does work, and it works well. Play-action doesn't work well because your running game is working well, though. Passing performance doesn't correlate to running performance. Play-action works because the threat of a run exists, they have to play their run fits. If a team is showing run (whether it be genuine or a PA fake) and the defense doesn't play their run fits, then the offense runs the ball down their throat. 

For every team that has a good run game and a good play-action pass game, I can show you a team that has a bad run game and good play-action pass game. You can take the inverse of that, too. 

Joe Burrow ranked 2nd in YPA on play-action passes despite Cincinnati having an inconsistent/below average run game.

Derek Carr was 7th in YPA on play-action passes despite the Raiders having an inconsistent/below average run game.

Zach Wilson ranked next to last in YPA on play-action passing despite the Jets having an above average run game.

Carson Wentz was solidly middle of the pack despite Indy having the best run game in the league. 

The examples continue. I'm not sure if that addresses your point, I think you're arguing that a good run game makes your PA passing better, but it doesn't. You don't see PA passing improve if you have a strong run game. 
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling we will be Mixon it up quite a bit. I feel like I have seen different levels of explosiveness from Mixon this year. Idk if that is from injuries mental or my imagination. But if we have full strength explosive Joe we are in really good shape.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:58 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I think it's important to wear their D down.  Also with the heat being what it is.  (I know it's in a dome, but we're still not used to 72).  We need to shorten the game and run clock too.  It will be interesting to see the Bengals' coaches' game plan in this one.  

I don't know where fans get the idea the temperature will be 72 and that it's a fully domed stadium. It's an open-air stadium, with a canopy, and it does not have air-conditioning. The temperature that day may set a record. At this point, it is projected to be 87 degrees outside and there is a heat advisory. I suspect the temperature inside, even with the panels designed to create air flow, will be considerably higher than 72 degrees. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:00 AM)M.W. Wrote: It would be amazing to see the Bengals OL get push, I can't recall the last time I have seen that. Mixon normally has no hole.. Not even a little slit. I am not sure a coked up chicken could run behind the Bengals OL. Hopefully they can do some power running, not holding my breath.

Joe Mixon did some amazing running against the Steelers this year and Pittsburgh’s defense looks a lot like the Rams. Think of Cameron Hayward as analogous to Aaron Donald and TJ Watt as a parallel to Von Miller. Now how did Lou Anarumo scheme against those guys?

Counter plays. Block one way, fake in the same direction, start Mixon that way, then he cuts back against the grain, so to speak, and off he goes. Once the Rams get used to responding sideways then you change it up, directionally block, and run north and south through the A- and B-gaps.

Then you start throwing quick slants and screens. Then run a counter play again. Then take a shot. Be unpredictable.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 10:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Mixon did some amazing running against the Steelers this year and Pittsburgh’s defense looks a lot like the Rams.  Think of Cameron Hayward as analogous to Aaron Donald and TJ Watt as a parallel to Von Miller.  Now how did Lou Anarumo scheme against those guys?  

Counter plays.  Block one way, fake in the same direction, start Mixon that way, then he cuts back against the grain, so to speak, and off he goes.  Once the Rams get used to responding sideways then you change it up, directionally block, and run north and south through the A- and B-gaps.

Then you start throwing quick slants and screens.  Then run a counter play again.  Then take a shot.  Be unpredictable.

Sounds logical my friend!  Dilly Dilly!!!
Reply/Quote
Outside of CJ, Mixon may be the biggest beneficiary of the week off. He may take a pounding in the 1st half between getting hit at the line, being used as a blocker and screens. It would open up so much if he could just bust one run for 20+ early in the game.
Reply/Quote