Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Lazor calls a game as good as he interviews...
Being good at interviews means exactly nothing when it comes to actually winning games especially given that the interviews we're privy to are with people who are skilled at the art of the spin.. 
If we only went with the spin put out by one Geoff Hobson the greatest players in Bengals history might have been the guys cut in preseason.. How many glowing reviews of guys who never panned out have we been privileged to read about over the years? 
I'm not blaming Hobson for that. His job is to try to get us excited about stuff that we probably shouldn't be excited about.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he's as good at designing game plans and getting the offense to execute them, as he is at explaining his position?  We are in for a fun ride.  

I like the idea of RPO and use of the no-huddle.  If they find a defensive matchup that they like, they can exploit the heck out of it, all the way down the field.  Keeping in mind, no-huddle doesn't have to be "hurry up" style, either.  A team can still use a good portion of clock, while ripping off chunks of yardage down the field.

Exactly, no one says you have to snap the ball as soon as you walk up to the LOS.  Just stay out of the huddle to prevent substitutions, and you can still burn clock.

As for Lazor, if he does nothing else shy of what he has already done regarding getting dead weight out of here, he's already ok in my book.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Like anyone else I like to hear a coach who actually gives some information in his interviews instead of just "coach speak".  But I also realize that has zero to do with how good of a coach he is.  Many great coaches give the worst interviews/pressers and some guys that love to talk suck as coaches.

A lot of people think that just because a coach does not go into detail with the press about why he is losing that means he does not know why he is losing, but that is not always true.

Indeed.

I'm always a bit sceptical of the HC/Assistant coach who the national press probably love because they're always ready with some quotes....Talking a good game to say Michael Silver does not mean you have more passion or smarts (hello Rex Ryan...)
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 02:16 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Yea, giving some informative answers in an interview is cool but I don't know how impressed I am with him considering the offense was still trash after he took over. 

Yep, I'm fully aware that I'm probably trying to read too much into this considering he piloted the #32 ranked offense for most of this year!!.....but hey our season is over and its a long time till the Draft :)
Reply/Quote
If absolutely nothing else Lazor has managed to get us to move on from thinking we're absolutely doomed forever more.. That's not nothing.. It's not the super bowl, but it's not nothing. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Quote:The coaches have this week off, but Lazor has been in the office running numbers on the Bengals’ dead last ranked offense in the context of recent NFL performance and one of the more disturbing items for him is the recent yards per rush numbers. This year they finished next to last with 3.6 yards per carry, but that’s nothing new. In the last 10 seasons they’ve hit that number four times and have finished in the bottom 10 in yards per rush nine times and have hit 4.0 yards per rush just four times.

Now that we KNOW Ludwig Van was coordinating the run game.....I think we can safely say Shake and a few others of us were correct in our assertion that our line coach was stifling the offense in some regard.  The game had passed him by.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 02:36 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Indeed.

I'm always a bit sceptical of the HC/Assistant coach who the national press probably love because they're always ready with some quotes....Talking a good game to say Michael Silver does not mean you have more passion or smarts (hello Rex Ryan...)

I agree, but Lazor isn't talking shit, he's talking more x's and o's and giving an insight into his evaluations (he also isn't afraid to take some folks to task).  I've liked what I've heard from him, time will tell if I like what I see.

Reply/Quote
I’m willing to give Lazor a pass on this last season because he came in after it started and the horrid Offensive Line handicapped everything. Remember the run game didn’t start to revive until Lazor (in what may have been an ongoing fight for weeks from what we have seen) finally got Marvin to overrule Piano Man and change the blocking scheme.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 02:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Now that we KNOW Ludwig Van was coordinating the run game.....I think we can safely say Shake and a few others of us were correct in our assertion that our line coach was stifling the offense in some regard.  The game had passed him by.

When I read that, I was shocked a little. 9 times in 10 years we were in the bottom 10 in rushing...How the hell does a coach keeps his job?  Definite head scratcher...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Like anyone else I like to hear a coach who actually gives some information in his interviews instead of just "coach speak".  But I also realize that has zero to do with how good of a coach he is.  Many great coaches give the worst interviews/pressers and some guys that love to talk suck as coaches.

A lot of people think that just because a coach does not go into detail with the press about why he is losing that means he does not know why he is losing, but that is not always true.

Yeah, Rex Ryan fits this mold. He talks a good game but didnt deliver much, at least lately.
Reply/Quote
I am curious after reading what he said about not being scared to make a change, because it was needed, how that sat with MB at first? You know, the man that hates change.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 03:19 PM)sandwedge Wrote: When I read that, I was shocked a little. 9 times in 10 years we were in the bottom 10 in rushing...How the hell does a coach keeps his job?  Definite head scratcher...

Yeah man.....Shake has been hammering those stats for years regarding the offensive line performance being overrated, and needing a change at the coaching of them.  He was right.....and it's good to see another coach and even Hobs confirming it. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 03:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am curious after reading what he said about not being scared to make a change, because it was needed, how that sat with MB at first? You know, the man that hates change.

I'd say he choked on his Baconator. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 02:16 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Yea, giving some informative answers in an interview is cool but I don't know how impressed I am with him considering the offense was still trash after he took over. 

Consider he didn't have time to install his own plays and was basically running of the jay/hue/zampese playbook for most of it...  I give him a shot.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 03:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am curious after reading what he said about not being scared to make a change, because it was needed, how that sat with MB at first? You know, the man that hates change.

me too its always jingling in my pocket lol
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 03:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah man.....Shake has been hammering those stats for years regarding the offensive line performance being overrated, and needing a change at the coaching of them.  He was right.....and it's good to see another coach and even Hobs confirming it. :andy:

Lol yeah, that was my favorite stat to hammer PA with. We went through 5 o coordinators, 3 RB coaches and probably more than a half dozen starting RBs. It was easy to see that all that failure only had one thing in common. Still it's nice to see it get confirmed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 06:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol yeah, that was my favorite stat to hammer PA with. We went through 5 o coordinators, 3 RB coaches and probably more than a half dozen starting RBs. It was easy to see that all that failure only had one thing in common. Still it's nice to see it get confirmed.

If Jim Anderson couldn't get RBs to perform, then you know the problem was somewhere else..
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 06:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol yeah, that was my favorite stat to hammer PA with. We went through 5 o coordinators, 3 RB coaches and probably more than a half dozen starting RBs. It was easy to see that all that failure only had one thing in common. Still it's nice to see it get confirmed.

Right on brother....it was pretty much common sense....but you had it nailed, countersunk. You drove that shit home like John Daly on a woman's tee....lol.

Reply/Quote