Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Ogbuehi and Fisher Miss Week One
What is our best starting OL combo? Because if it includes Winston I disagree. Dude couldnt handle some backup Detroit DE.

We should be preparing now. Give Westerman LG reps and kick Boling out to RT.

Winston playing any snaps is bad news for our season. We are lucky Dalton has a light speed delivery. Winston may be able to pass protect for 1 second. Asking anything more from him and we are risking our QBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 10:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What is our best starting OL combo? Because if it includes Winston I disagree. Dude couldnt handle some backup Detroit DE.

Winston playing any snaps is bad news for our season. We are lucky Dalton has a light speed delivery. Winston may be able to pass protect for 1 second. Asking anything more from him and we are risking our QBs.

Eh, you lose your starting tackle and the guy that backs him up, the 3rd guy is bound to be meh. Just the way the cookies crumbled so far. I wouldn't worry too much about it until week 1 is actually happening.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 10:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What is our best starting OL combo? Because if it includes Winston I disagree. Dude couldnt handle some backup Detroit DE.

You think Boling could hack it at tackle?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 11:41 PM)treee Wrote: You think Boling could hack it at tackle?

He has done it before. I dont think he would be a stud. But i think he would be better than Winston and Westerman would hold his own.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 11:41 PM)treee Wrote: You think Boling could hack it at tackle?

I'd prefer someone else at tackle. Boling is the second best player on the OL and an elite pulling guard. He loses that and they get weaker at two spots rather than one if they move him to tackle.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Eric Winston is our best option
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I think you are way overreacting, Winston performed decent as a starter two years ago, he is experienced and knows the schemes, preseason is preseason... I rather have him than some rookie or player that you are moving into a position they have not played much.  Also it is not like a tackle is always solo, the team can adjust their formations to help protect or give extra support to a tackle especially with a tough matchup, happens all the time in the football
Reply/Quote
I knew we should have drafted 3 O-linemen in 2015.
Reply/Quote
Is it lookin like this will be the case? I know fisher has a sprain. Never found out ceds injury details I just heard it was his foot. I hope it's not turf toe.
Reply/Quote
Both are expected to be back before week 1
Reply/Quote

Winston is good enough as a veteran 4th tackle short term.  I thought it was Zeitler they were looking at as an emergency option at RT when he was a young starter.  In theory, if Winston...well I'm sorry if you know what happens lets just say then maybe you slide Zeitler over and see if Westerman can hang at RG.  Thankfully we shouldn't have to worry about that.  I think the way injuries have been handled/announced we are keying ourselves up for worst case scenarios all over.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 12:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you are way overreacting, Winston performed decent as a starter two years ago, he is experienced and knows the schemes, preseason is preseason... I rather have him than some rookie or player that you are moving into a position they have not played much.  Also it is not like a tackle is always solo, the team can adjust their formations to help protect or give extra support to a tackle especially with a tough matchup, happens all the time in the football

The key part of your response is "two years ago"... he was what, only 47 or 48 then?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 01:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: The key part of your response is "two years ago"... he was what, only 47 or 48 then?

30... Now only 32 or 2 years younger than whit.  He is the 4th OT on the team and probably one of the best 4th OT in the league.  

He is fine for a game or two but I would bet ced or fisher are back by week 1 anyway so it is a moot point
Reply/Quote
I'm more concerned with our starting center than I am with Winston playing at RT.

PFF provides a nice summary of Bodine's performance in his time during the first two preseason games thus far...
Quote:On the other sideline, the biggest takeaway came along the offensive line. The Bengals had multiple running plays beautifully blocked for, only for a whiff by center Russell Bodine to blow it up. It may only be preseason, but it is abundantly clear after two awful grades in two games from Bodine that he hasn’t made the necessary improvements; it may be time for Cincinnati to find a new center.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-preseason-week-2-wrap-up-positive-outings-from-qbs-rg-iii-jimmy-garapppolo/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 01:20 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: 30... Now only 32 or 2 years younger than whit.  He is the 4th OT on the team and probably one of the best 4th OT in the league.  

He is fine for a game or two but I would bet ced or fisher are back by week 1 anyway so it is a moot point

Big, giant difference between Winston and Whit.  Whit is widely regarded as one of the best tackles in football, while Winston was on the street and basically retired when the Bengals picked him up.  That said, I am extremely surprised that he is 32... he looks much older.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 01:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Big, giant difference between Winston and Whit.  Whit is widely regarded as one of the best tackles in football, while Winston was on the street and basically retired when the Bengals picked him up.  That said, I am extremely surprised that he is 32... he looks much older.

Only used whit as a comparison to age.but I agree Winston looks old and he is also president of nflpa So that makes him seem older too. 

It was only a few years before he came here that he was typically a good player that no one would commit any type of long term deal to him

This was 4 years ago and regarded as a top RT

https://www.profootballfocus.com/eric-winston-hits-the-market/
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 01:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm more concerned with our starting center than I am with Winston playing at RT.

PFF provides a nice summary of Bodine's performance in his time during the first two preseason games thus far...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-preseason-week-2-wrap-up-positive-outings-from-qbs-rg-iii-jimmy-garapppolo/

I'll wait for a "legit" analysis
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Winston is our best option at RT. No need to move Boling out there and weaken our interior. Plus, Boling hasn't played against edge rushers.

Keep Winston at RT. When you lose your starter and backup, of course you're not going to have the greatest option. But Winston isn't really that terrible.

And take everything in preseason with a grain of salt.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Let's plug Margus Hunt in at RT.
He doesn't seem to move, very much.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 01:10 AM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Is it lookin like this will be the case?  I know fisher has a sprain. Never found out ceds injury details I just heard it was his foot. I hope it's not turf toe.

Ced has turf toe expected to be fine for the opener.

If neither can go....  (who was the one tackle everyone loved a few years ago and then went to tampa then disappeared?)

But Winston would be the first off the bench.   I believe we have another OG that can swing out to T possible with a guy like Hopkins.  Westerman I'm hoping slides 1 spot inside if anything.
Reply/Quote