Poll: Should the Bengals have traded up past DET to get Ragnow?
Yes!
No, Price is fine and the extra pick(s) not worth giving up
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Ragnow was really the target at 21...
(05-03-2018, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Am I the only one who liked Price better? I read that he was the #1 Center prior to the injury, and the injury will not stop him from suiting up week one. The scouting report says he's "nastier" than Ragnow and also the better run blocker. He won the Rimington award, not Ragnow. He started 55 straight games, which shows durability.

From everything I've read, Price sounds like the better Center...especially if we're planning to be a dominant run team.

Even if you don't agree, it's clear that they were 1A/1B as the top Centers this year. I just preferred Price. I want a dominant run game for the first time since Dillon.

(05-03-2018, 04:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: No, your not. I've been a big Price fan for a couple of years. His freshman year he pancaked a dude and then as the guy was getting up, Billy just leveled him again!! There will be learning pains, but can't wait to see him anchoring the middle!

The way I look at it is that Price or Ragnow were both so much better than Bodine that the team will be better off with either one.

Why nit-pick the finer points when we finally got the team to value the Center position for the first time since Mike Brown inherited the team and appointed himself GM.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Me thinks people put too much stock in mock drafts.

Some of you guyz look at them like grocery lists like the more expensive itemz are best...but dat aint the case.
Reply/Quote
Not getting into who is the better prospect: No the Bengals should not have jumped in front of Detroit. There was no indication that the Lions were going C, so jumping in front of them would have made 0 sense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I misread the poll question. I wanted Ragnow, but no way would've traded up and am content with the Price pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 11:20 AM)Sweetness Wrote: The draft is a crap shoot. It's a guessing game. Why give up a 4th round pick where you've had success finding good players to move up for a guy where there's pretty much no difference between them. Unless you're picking in the top 5-10 it's pretty much luck on whether the player ends up being worth it.

Well..... I'd go more with calculated guess.  crapshoot is TOO random (unless you suck at it). Bill Walsh's drafting for the Niners, was no crapshoot. He saw who a guy could be and had the coaching staff to make it happen.   I'm talking about rd 4 and later they get guys who START in Super Bowls.  A LOT of them.  A GOOD draft can move you up. A GREAT draft... REALLY elevates everything.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They could have been. We won't really ever know for sure.

Definitely could be. I just didn't see RB to be anywhere close to a need before Rd 5 at the earliest. Sometimes it helps not to have too crowded of a stable and there are still some decent vets that one would think would sign for pretty cheap given they are still available in FA in case a big injury to Mixon/Gio did occur.

DET has Ragnow listed at C on their site roster page. The other C is Wesley Johnson. I too would have gone Wynn or Hernandez if the desire really was for G, but I think they wanted a better C than Wesley Johnson. Ragnow gives them that versatility for C and OG just in case, as you said.

True, Price could have been the target all along. However, I think Ragnow was rated higher. The Bengals don't really do well with smokescreens and show their hand easily. Nearly everyone expected them to go Ragnow if he had been there.

My reasoning for trading up a couple spots would have been because I do think Ragnow offers better pass protection than Price while still should be very good in the run game, has longer reach to keep DL at bay, and is already recovered from his injury whereas Price still has that (slight) uncertainty of being ready for TC. Because of those reasons, Ragnow was more like 10 picks higher on my board personally.

Det is moving Glasgow to C and Ragnow to G. Wait Glasgow, Ragnow...What Now! Maybe they have a Linemen named Andthen. No Andthen. Sorry too many beers.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 12:52 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If Billy Price doesnt injure himself who knows the Lions might have picked him first. After hearing Price being so excited about playing for his home team I fell in love with this pick. I know that means nothing if he isnt good, but he is.

Did he grow up a Bengals fan? Being from Youngstown I would have thought Browns more than Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did he grow up a Bengals fan? Being from Youngstown I would have thought Browns more than Bengals.

Worse...He was a Squeelers fan.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I say No, my reason is that I believe Price was the choice all along as on the Draft call we are on the phone to Price telling him we are picking him as it comes up on screen that the Lions pick has came in.
I'm honestly not sure how it works though, do we get a call telling us who the Lions have taken before it is announced on the TV, if not then we had no idea that Ragnow had been taken
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:50 PM)Synric Wrote: Worse...He was a Squeelers fan.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:52 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I say No, my reason is that I believe Price was the choice all along as on the Draft call we are on the phone to Price telling him we are picking him as it comes up on screen that the Lions pick has came in.
I'm honestly not sure how it works though, do we get a call telling us who the Lions have taken before it is announced on the TV, if not then we had no idea that Ragnow had been taken

I always wondered how that works. I always assumed the team picking next would contact the team picking as to who they are taking. I mean the team making the pick really has nothing to gain or lose if their mind is made up. Just a courtesy thing.

I would love to hear draft day phone conversations.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:23 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I always wondered how that works. I always assumed the team picking next would contact the team picking as to who they are taking. I mean the team making the pick really has nothing to gain or lose if their mind is made up. Just a courtesy thing.

I would love to hear draft day phone conversations.

Yeah I've never known how it works. I thought maybe once a team makes a pick, some official might call the next team to let them know who was picked and that they were on the clock as like I said Marv was already telling Billy we were picking him as it came up on the screen that the Lions pick was in.

I maybe thought some of you guys in the states would know how it works
Reply/Quote
Drafting at 21, you don't always get your choice of prospects.  Drafting scared and trading up a few spots every draft would result in a lot of wasted draft capital.  I could see offering the Lions pick 21 and another pick if they were really high on him immediately after they drafted Ragnow.  I do not think that they made a mistake by sitting pat at 21.  
Reply/Quote
Either one of the top three centers Im fine with. The only people crying are the ones that fell in love with Ragnow, but in all actuality not a single one of the three guys really stood out head and shoulders above the other two. They all were equally good, and will immediately come in and make the offensive line better.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 06:04 PM)redwood Wrote: Well..... I'd go more with calculated guess.  crapshoot is TOO random (unless you suck at it). Bill Walsh's drafting for the Niners, was no crapshoot. He saw who a guy could be and had the coaching staff to make it happen.   I'm talking about rd 4 and later they get guys who START in Super Bowls.  A LOT of them.  A GOOD draft can move you up. A GREAT draft... REALLY elevates everything.

It is not just about selecting the right players.  It is also about coaching them up and using them properly.  A lot of those picks that flourished under Walsh and his staff might have flopped somewhere else.  When you look at how every QB has failed for the Browns I think some of those guys might have turned out alright on other teams.

But even Walsh had a lot of misses.  the year they took MOntana in the third their second round pick was an unknown RB named James Owens.  The next year he used a first round pick on a DE named Jim mStucky who never became a starter.  Even the amazing '81 draft that feautured 3 DBs who all started as rookies for a Super Bowl Champion team had a second round pick used on NT Jim Harty.  In '84 his first and second round picks were both flops (LB Todd Shell, TE John Frank).

Some teams are better than other at picking players, but it is still a big crapshoot even for the best teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:05 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Yeah I've never known how it works. I thought maybe once a team makes a pick, some official might call the next team to let them know who was picked and that they were on the clock as like I said Marv was already telling Billy we were picking him as it came up on the screen that the Lions pick was in.

I maybe thought some of you guys in the states would know how it works

That's exactly how it works. As soon as the team picking submits their pick to the league, the next team in line is notified who they took so they can decide, as they go on the clock at that point. They have to be notified so they don't waste their time picking a player who is about to be announced.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 07:49 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Det is moving Glasgow to C and Ragnow to G. Wait Glasgow, Ragnow...What Now! Maybe they have a Linemen named Andthen. No Andthen. Sorry too many beers.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Am I the only one who liked Price better? I read that he was the #1 Center prior to the injury, and the injury will not stop him from suiting up week one. The scouting report says he's "nastier" than Ragnow and also the better run blocker. He won the Rimington award, not Ragnow. He started 55 straight games, which shows durability.

From everything I've read, Price sounds like the better Center...especially if we're planning to be a dominant run team.

Even if you don't agree, it's clear that they were 1A/1B as the top Centers this year. I just preferred Price. I want a dominant run game for the first time since Dillon.

This is all understandable, i still like Ragnow better than Price cause he is healthy right now and was a mulitiple
year starter in the SEC unlike Price who only played Center last season.

More upside for Price though, i truly believe and you are right Price is the more nasty run blocker.

(05-03-2018, 03:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I like the Price pick.  it was obvious the Bengals needed help at Center. but I just watched tape on Ragnow damn hes good. never allowed a sack or pressure.   damn hes a stud.  for such a big guy he can really move

Yeah, Ragnow is good at everything and was the best pass blocking Center in the Draft.

(05-03-2018, 04:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm seeing some people not following the purpose of the thread, as they are saying they think Price is better than Ragnow so they are glad the Bengals didn't go after Ragnow.
However, that was not the question...
This was not really meant to be a debate of Ragnow vs Price but rather should the Bengals change their drafting philosophy of "We'll take whoever is available at our pick!" vs "Let's trade up to ensure we get our guy!"

Well in this case i don't think the Bengals thought Ragnow was going to go before their pick but if he did Price
would be there and is just as good. Still vote no in this instance.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm seeing some people not following the purpose of the thread, as they are saying they think Price is better than Ragnow so they are glad the Bengals didn't go after Ragnow.
However, that was not the question...
This was not really meant to be a debate of Ragnow vs Price but rather should the Bengals change their drafting philosophy of "We'll take whoever is available at our pick!" vs "Let's trade up to ensure we get our guy!"

Yeah but answering Ragnow vs Price also (partly) answers your question. I valued the guy we got over the guy ahead of us, so why trade up (in this instance)?

In general though, I'm all for trading up for "your guy", provided he's a perfect fit and far better than the alternatives. That said, if there isn't much gap between the players you're looking at, why sacrifice draft picks? In this particular scenario, I think the Bengals made the right choice standing pat. That said, there has been times where I wished they would've moved up or not traded back. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would have been happy wit either.

Sometimes we put too much into these mock drafts that circulate.

Look a guy like Kolton Miller went higher in the 1st Round. He was projected to be a 2nd rounder in some.
Reply/Quote