Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Ryan Tannehill to the Bengals is the KEY move - How would you respond ?
(01-16-2019, 01:50 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We need to start rebuilding n tank for Trevor.    Unless they think Murray is the guy.

No. No tanking. Tanking is stupid. You're asking for a guy who gets his first head coaching gig ever to intentionally mess up his win-loss record just so you get a QB that may or may not pan out. "Hey, we want to fix this culture of mediocrity by turning our team into a losing franchise so that we can draft a QB that has just as much a chance of being a bust as being a hall of famer."

That's not even mentioning the fact that we have enough talent that tanking is going to be difficult to do.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Dolphins appear ready to move on from QB Ryan Tannehill and stories are popping up that reuniting him with Zac Taylor in Cincinnati may be the place Tannehill lands.

Tannehill is a little over a year younger than Andy Dalton and much stranger things than a move like this have happened in the NFL.

Should this QB change occur and with the approval of expected New Head Coach Zac Taylor; What would be your opinion of and reaction to this being Zac Taylor's statement making move ?

Possible Pros & Cons to this move (Draft picks for Dalton/Tannehill's injury history etc) ?

Ryan Tannehill had (still has?) a higher ceiling than Dalton. The difference was Dalton had a higher floor and was more NFL-ready coming out of college. I would expect that Taylor was brought in to help elevate good talent at QB, so perhaps Tannehill could thrive under Taylor's tutelage. If not, high draft pick! Seems like a win-win to me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't see the point in this unless we are moving Dalton to a win now team for picks.  If Taylor comes here and alienates Dalton for Tannehill it'll look like McDaniels wanting Cassel over Cutler the second he arrived in Denver part 2.

In my mind, Zac Taylor would lose his up and coming next Sean McVay, young, Hip & innovative street REP that he just recently found; were Zac to pin his hopes on a Tannehill move.

The Hip & young New Head Coach hype would have all the air let out of it overnight. At least for me.
Reply/Quote
I bet if Tannehill dyed his hair red we wouldn't know which white bread QB we had under center. The Bengals and Dolphins have both been similar as of late. Either miss the playoffs or go into it with a backup and a broken heart.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Dolphins appear ready to move on from QB Ryan Tannehill and stories are popping up that reuniting him with Zac Taylor in Cincinnati may be the place Tannehill lands.

Tannehill is a little over a year younger than Andy Dalton and much stranger things than a move like this have happened in the NFL.

Should this QB change occur and with the approval of expected New Head Coach Zac Taylor; What would be your opinion of and reaction to this being Zac Taylor's statement making move ?

Possible Pros & Cons to this move (Draft picks for Dalton/Tannehill's injury history etc) ?

Dalton is better than Tannehill so why?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:05 PM)depthchart Wrote: In my mind, Zac Taylor would lose his up and coming next Sean McVay, young, Hip & innovative street REP that he just recently found; were Zac to pin his hopes on a Tannehill move.

The Hip & young New Head Coach hype would have all the air let out of it overnight.

He isn't likely to get McVays access to free agents and the flexibility of having a decent QB on a rookie deal, either.  Thsts a key aspect to this young offensive new HC trend that people are over looking.

Just a quick look at the new young offensive HC hiring trends....let's see...

Eagles/Pederson - team traded up for a QB still on rookie deal, high priced backup QB, active in free agency
Rams/McVay - team traded up for a QB still on rookie deal, active in free agency
Bears/Nagy - team traded up for a QB still on rookie deal, active in free agency, made super expensive trade for Mack

and the less successful....

Dolphins/Gase - got 2 disappointing veteran QBs in Tannehill and Cutler, team traded away talent and/or let high priced FA's walk

So, yes Taylor is a young and offensive-minded guy and Dalton is better than Tannehill and a very bored Jay Cutler...but we have to keep in mind that Taylor is going to be walking into a situation more akin to Gase and the Dolphins than the trendy HC hires who made the playoffs this year. A major aspect of this new NFL trend seems to involve saving beaucoups of bucks by picking the right rookie QB (even if it takes extra picks to get him ala Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahommes, Watson) and then NOT pocketing the money saved, but using it to get veteran pieces. Right now, I'd see us doing the opposite, in hoping a new young HC can resurrect our limp offense. It can happen, but it looks more like we are going the Gase route than the more successful ones, thus far.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:41 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yep. Who wouldn’t want an average quarterback who folds in prime time. Great selling point.

The whole team has been average since Marvin arrived under those circumstances. Has nothing to do with Andy - you’ll soon see.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dalton is better than Tannehill so why?

Zac Taylor worked with Ryan Tannehill as his Offensive Coordinator & QB Coach for a few years in Miami. Ryan's best years.

Sometimes Coaches like to bring QBs that they worked with before to teams that they become Coaches for.

I would rather have Dalton as well but we are yet to find out which direction Zac Taylor may push the Bengals towards.

Within the realm of possibility that Zac could want Tannehill.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No. No tanking. Tanking is stupid. You're asking for a guy who gets his first head coaching gig ever to intentionally mess up his win-loss record just so you get a QB that may or may not pan out. "Hey, we want to fix this culture of mediocrity by turning our team into a losing franchise so that we can draft a QB that has just as much a chance of being a bust as being a hall of famer."

That's not even mentioning the fact that we have enough talent that tanking is going to be difficult to do.

Agreed. You don't tank. You try to build the right culture with the right coach, and the rest seems to fall into place. Anyways, here's where the best QB's in the NFL were taken:

Pat Mahomes - 12th overall
Tom Brady - 6th round
Drew Brees - 2nd round
Aaron Rodgers - 24th overall
Ben Turdburdler - 11th overall
Deshaun Watson - 12th overall
Russell Wilson - 3rd round
Derek Carr - 2nd round

You do have good QB's taken high:

Cam Newton - 1st overall
Matt Ryan - 1st overall
Andrew Luck - 1st overall
Matt Stafford - 1st overall
Baker Mayfield - 1st overall
Jared Goff - 1st overall
Carson Wentz - 2nd overall 
Phillip Rivers - 2nd overall

But tbh, I'd take the first group over the 2nd. Just goes to show you don't have to totally tank to find a top QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 01:50 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We need to start rebuilding n tank for Trevor.    Unless they think Murray is the guy.

Yeah, great idea!  Welcome aboard Coach Taylor, now go out there and lose!   Whatever
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
No way, if we are going to replace Dalton I would rather just trade him and draft a QB and start him. I can't stand the Ideal of a retread QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So, yes Taylor is a young and offensive-minded guy and Dalton is better than Tannehill and a very bored Jay Cutler...but we have to keep in mind that Taylor is going to be walking into a situation more akin to Gase and the Dolphins than the trendy HC hires who made the playoffs this year.  A major aspect of this new NFL trend seems to involve saving beaucoups of bucks by picking the right rookie QB (even if it takes extra picks to get him ala Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahommes, Watson) and then NOT pocketing the money saved, but using it to get veteran pieces.  Right now, I'd see us doing the opposite, in hoping a new young HC can resurrect our limp offense.  It can happen, but it looks more like we are going the Gase route than the more successful ones, thus far.

I guess Zac could try to have the best of both worlds.

Use Dalton for the next season or two while eyeing the next two Draft classes for who Zac would want as his rookie.

Hopefully having success with Dalton & then pulling the trigger to get the rookie of his choosing.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:27 PM)depthchart Wrote: I guess Zac could try to have the best of both worlds.

Use Dalton for the next season or two while eyeing the next two Draft classes for who Zac would want as his rookie.

Hopefully having success with Dalton & then pulling the trigger to get the rookie of his choosing.

That's what I see happening, but in the context of this topic I'm just thinking of how we could end up with Tannehill and it not be a head-scratching debacle.  Dalton to Washington for some picks or one decent pick, take Drew Lock or something with our 1st round pick and then use Tannehill as the system-familiar bridge to the future.

THEN we have extra picks from Dalton instead of letting him walk as a FA or keeping him here for another 4-8 years and THEN we get a rookie QB on a rookie QB deal and we look more like the young new offensive HC franchises that are winning and less like the one that just fired Gase to send him to a franchise that has a...you guessed it....QB on a rookie deal.
Reply/Quote
NO to Tannehill, but do the Dolphins have any GOOD Olinemen who'd like to work for Taylor? How about Kiki Alonzo or some other LB worth a damn?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I am at the point now that I want an Elite QB, a young stud. Now, I don't know if Haskins is that stud but damn near. 2020 may be the year the Bengals draft Dalton's replacement. But please no more retreads.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

well I'm also seeing things about Wentz being up for trade considering his contract Wentz would be a target..

Not sure if we are willing to pay more for Tannenhill than we Do Dalton  if that's the plan might as well keep Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am at the point now that I want an Elite QB, a young stud.  Now, I don't know if Haskins is that stud but damn near.  2020 may be the year the Bengals draft Dalton's replacement.  But please no more retreads.

Drew Lock sounds like the off-brand version of Andrew Luck, to me...that's good enough.  If Andrew Luck is a transformer, Drew Lock is a Go-Bot.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:33 PM)Shady Wrote: NO to Tannehill, but do the Dolphins have any GOOD Olinemen who'd like to work for Taylor? How about Kiki Alonzo or some other LB worth a damn?

Good point.  Put Tannehill behind our Oline and see what you get.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:39 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good point.  Put Tannehill behind our Oline and see what you get.

A 4th losing season in a row, I'd assume.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 01:04 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Yuck. Not just yuck...YUCK! Why would they do that? Tannehill has never struck me as anything special. He's like a less talented, less intelligent version of Jay Cutler.

See, I was going to say a slightly lesser version of Alex Smith, but without the low turnover numbers to feel good about.

(Tannehill has also missed 21 out of his last 32 games and has a $26.6m cap hit in 2019.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote