Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Sam Wyche coached that playoff game
(01-17-2016, 08:43 AM)magikod Wrote: Sadly, I never got to see Sam Wyche coach the Bengals, but my Dad has told me plenty about him.
He would agree with you, Sam Wyche was my Dads favorite Bengals head coach.

-Magikod

You missed some fun times.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 10:35 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You missed some fun times.

I was 5 when I started paying attention to football and my ol' man was a Steeler fan from the 50s until the early 80s when they cheered Bradshaw's injury and career end, when he then became a Steeler (fan) hater.  So the Bengals were his favorite team twice a year.

Anyways, I recall him referring to Sam Wyche as "Handshake Sam" because Noll would refuse to shake his hand after a Bengals dismantling of the now-craptastic Steelers.  Ahhh, memories.  Thanks to the internet you can even read the same article I'm sure the ol' man read about it on break at the auto plant (you know, before it was shut down).  Geez, I feel like a relic beyond my years.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19851029&id=-LNRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QG4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5561,7512481&hl=en
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 08:43 AM)magikod Wrote: Sadly, I never got to see Sam Wyche coach the Bengals, but my Dad has told me plenty about him.
He would agree with you, Sam Wyche was my Dads favorite Bengals head coach.

-Magikod

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I was 5 when I started paying attention to football and my ol' man was a Steeler fan from the 50s until the early 80s when they cheered Bradshaw's injury and career end, when he then became a Steeler (fan) hater.  So the Bengals were his favorite team twice a year.

Anyways, I recall him referring to Sam Wyche as "Handshake Sam" because Noll would refuse to shake his hand after a Bengals dismantling of the now-craptastic Steelers.  Ahhh, memories.  Thanks to the internet you can even read the same article I'm sure the ol' man read about it on break at the auto plant (you know, before it was shut down).  Geez, I feel like a relic beyond my years.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19851029&id=-LNRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QG4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5561,7512481&hl=en

Yep.....the sore losing goes way back. Crybaby Chuck wouldn't shake Jerry Glanville's hand either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 10:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....the sore losing goes way back. Crybaby Chuck wouldn't shake Jerry Glanville's hand either.

My family used to gather 'round the TV and root against the Steelers from 84 onward.  As a result I became a Bengals fan and my cousin became an Oilers fan...oof.  But hey, it was solid-gold for a while there. We were straight-up trollin' before it was cool. Ahh, memories of driving back from my uncle's on a Sunday night after a Steelers loss and listening to the local call in and cry hotline shows will always have a fond place in my heart.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:19 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If Sam Wyche coached that playoff game, Mike Brown would have actually fired him......again....

How's that?

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My family used to gather 'round the TV and root against the Steelers from 84 onward.  As a result I became a Bengals fan and my cousin became an Oilers fan...oof.  But hey, it was solid-gold for a while there.  We were straight-up trollin' before it was cool.  Ahh, memories of driving back from my uncle's on a Sunday night after a Steelers loss and listening to the local call in and cry hotline shows will always have a fond place in my heart.

LOL.....that's killer.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: How's that?

Mike Brown is exceedingly biased, I guess?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 04:56 PM)Utts Wrote: 1. He would have been telling his players to keep their poise all day long.

2. When fans started throwing shit on the field, he would have grabbed the mic and told them they don't live in Pittsburgh - they live in Cincinnati.

These two things would have energized and focused the team, resulting in victory.

https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI

I miss Sam.
Reply/Quote
Would Sam have put Rex in on that last series when Gio was out, as opposed to Hill?

This imo is not a bad question cause I woner if Belichick wouldve used Rex instead simply for better ball security skills. Really really good coaches do things like in the big games. But yeah, the discipline of the Bengals was just embarrassing overall from starting with Pekos dumbass penalty.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:23 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Did Hue or Marvin talk to Hill before he went on the field before fumbling on the most important carry for the Bengals in twenty five years?

Yes.  They told him not to fumble.
Reply/Quote
Sam Wyche was a head coach for 12 seasons and only had a winning record THREE TIMES. His career won lost record is 23 games under .500 (84-107), and he made the dumbest coaching call at the end of a game in Bengal history (Trying to run out the clock against Niners by running a toss sweep on fourth down).

He simply was not that good of a coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People will sell their family members for cocaine, so I'm not sure what Sam was supposed to do. 

Funny, but everyone seems to know exactly what Marvin was supposed to do to keep Burfict from making stupid penalties and to keep Hill from fumbling.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sam Wyche was a head coach for 12 seasons and only had a winning record THREE TIMES.  His career won lost record is 23 games under .500 (84-107), and he made the dumbest coaching call at the end of a game in Bengal history (Trying to run out the clock against Niners by running a toss sweep on fourth down).

He simply was not that good of a coach.

They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery.  Twenty five years later....the league is STILL using Sam's innovations.  Marvin has none.  Sam was aggressive.  Marvin curls into the fetal position.  Sam had far less talent to work with without a CBA to aid him.  Marvin has led the most talented group in the league to NOTHING. Sam WON when he DID go to the playoffs.  Marv just passed Jim Mora in playoff FUTILITY.  Wyche also drafted the foundation to Tampa's Super Bowl run.

You're just plain wrong.  You wanna defend Mediocre Marv?  That's fine....but no sense attempting to discredit such an innovator of the game to do so.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny, but everyone seems to know exactly what Marvin was supposed to do to keep Burfict from making stupid penalties and to keep Hill from fumbling.

Pretty simple.....get them both off of the field if you have any doubt whatsoever.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty simple.....get them both off of the field if you have any doubt whatsoever.

We are not even in the playoffs with Burfict on the bench.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery.  Twenty five years later....the league is STILL using Sam's innovations.  Marvin has none.  Sam was aggressive.  Marvin curls into the fetal position.  Sam had far less talent to work with without a CBA to aid him.  Marvin has led the most talented group in the league to NOTHING. Sam WON when he DID go to the playoffs.  Marv just passed Jim Mora in playoff FUTILITY.  Wyche also drafted the foundation to Tampa's Super Bowl run.

You're just plain wrong.  You wanna defend Mediocre Marv?  That's fine....but no sense attempting to discredit such an innovator of the game to do so.

How silly of me to use wins and losses to judge a coach.

And Wyche had as much, if not more, talent on nthe only teams he took to winning record than Marvin has ever had here.  The difference is that Narvin wins consistently with the talent while Wyche only had a couple of fluke seasons when he could even make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How silly of me to use wins and losses to judge a coach.

And Wyche had as much, if not more, talent on nthe only teams he took to winning record than Marvin has ever had here.  The difference is that Narvin wins consistently with the talent while Wyche only had a couple of fluke seasons when he could even make the playoffs.

That's all you do is look at stats fred.  You want to look at stats?  Compare the postseason numbers.  More talent?  You can't be serious.  A washed up Collinsworth and no names (outside of Cincy ) at wideout. A good line...a couple good backs.  A 2nd round QB.  Push.

Defense? Not. Even. Close.  Advantage current era.  Also....lest we forget , before 2010 and the roster began to improve top to bottom , Marv's record was about the same.  You also fail to address the benefit of the salary cap and FA that levels the playing field for small market clubs these days.....but that's not surprising. Palmer got a W last night too.....but not Mediocre Marvin Screwus.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:18 PM)Wyche Wrote:   More talent?  You can't be serious.  A washed up Collinsworth and no names (outside of Cincy ) at wideout. A good line...a couple good backs.  A 2nd round QB.  Push.

Yeah, right.  Eddie Brown who was the 13th pick in the first round and went  to the Pro Bowl with 1273 receiving yards and a 24.0 average per catch was a "no name".  And the Hall of Fame left tackle (Munoz) and the four time Pro Bowl RG (Montoya) and the three time Pro Bowl TE (Holeman), and the 4 time RB (Brooks), and the 100 yard rushing Rookie of the year who led the league in rushing TDs (Woods), and the league MVP at QB.

If Wyche was a decent coach then he would have had more good seasons with all of this talent.

(01-17-2016, 04:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Defense? Not. Even. Close.  Advantage current era. 

Two first team All Pro players (SS Fulcher, NT Krumrie) plus Pro Bowler CB Eric Thomas.

(01-17-2016, 04:18 PM)Wyche Wrote:   You also fail to address the benefit of the salary cap and FA that levels the playing field for small market clubs these days.....but that's not surprising. 

Wow, you are really going there.  If you think the Bengal front office benefited from the salary cap and free agency maybe you should look at when that started.  Because based on the won lost records it is clear that the bengals were hurt more by the implementation of free agency than any other team in the league.  In the late 80's we had a front office that was ted team on the field.  When free agency began we did not have anoither winning season for over a decade.
Reply/Quote
If Sam Wyche was the Bengals' coach in 2015-16, the Bengals would have gone 15-1 and had home field privileges throughout the playoffs because Sam would have beat Houston, destroyed Arizona, and smashed Denver.
Reply/Quote