Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Taylor fails to win a single game
I was thinking if Taylor’s Bengals go 0-16 would it change the way you view Marvin as a HC. May not be fair since Taylor has a different staff but many of the key players are the same. I don’t think Marvin is with any team at the moment but maybe Marvin will actually benefit from a winless season. I’ve been as critical as anyone wanting Marvin gone years ago. In no way what so ever am I suggesting we bring him back, or if we are better with or without Marvin. I know there are a few here that think any kind of signification change with this organization will automatically damn us back to the 90’s. I’m Just curious what everyone thinks.
Reply/Quote
No, 16 years of Marvin and we know exactly what he is. What a rookie HC does with a worse OL won’t change a thing about Marvin. For gods sake we had him for 16 years! How could anyone not still not know who/what Marvin is. Nothing will change that
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So the question is, IF Taylor wins 0 games this year, would that make him a worse coach than Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 04:52 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: No, 16 years of Marvin and we know exactly what he is. What a rookie HC does with a worse OL won’t change a thing about Marvin. For gods sake we had him for 16 years! How could anyone not still not know who/what Marvin is. Nothing will change that

Yep  :andy:
Reply/Quote
This is silly. IF Taylor goes 0-16 he is a terrible coach independent of anything Lewis did as a coach.

Lewis couldn't take this team to the next level and win a playoff game. Lets keep it in context.

It was well beyond time for a change...but the question remains as to IF ZT is the right guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 04:47 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was thinking if Taylor’s Bengals go 0-16 would it change the way you view Marvin as a HC. May not be fair since Taylor has a different staff but many of the key players are the same. I don’t think Marvin is with any team at the moment but maybe Marvin will actually benefit from a winless season. I’ve been as critical as anyone wanting Marvin gone years ago. In no way what so ever am I suggesting we bring him back, or if we are better with or without Marvin. I know there are a few here that think any kind of signification change with this organization will automatically damn us back to the 90’s. I’m Just curious what everyone thinks.

Absolutely not. I don't care if ZT goes 0-16 and Marv would have gone 8-8. I'd still rather have ZT. Because with ZT there's potential. Marv had no more potential.

And there's no freaking way we go 0-16. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 05:39 PM)Adamantium Wrote: Absolutely not. I don't care if ZT goes 0-16 and Marv would have gone 8-8. I'd still rather have ZT. Because with ZT there's potential. Marv had no more potential.

And there's no freaking way we go 0-16. 

If a HC takes a team Marvin Lewis could get 8 wins out of and gets 0 wins out of them I would seriously doubt said HC with 0 wins would have much potential, at all.  I also don't think ZT goes 0-16, but if he were actually good for 8 fewer wins than Marvin Lewis I'd say we'd be insane to NOT fire him.

I beyond fine with Marvin being gone, but if ZT goes 0-16 and we are still hyped about how much "potential" he has, then we are bordering on crazy.
Reply/Quote
Regardless if we don't win a game all year or don't lose another, my opinion of Marvin will be unchanged. He was a class act in a mom and pop organization.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The reason I asked this is because even though Marvin had his flaws, he did bring this team back to being competitive. I just think Brown kept him on almost a decade too long just because he was comfortable with him. I know he’s highly regarded around the league by owners and other coaches. I think it we go 0-16 or only win a couple games, some organization will pick up Marvin with the mindset he was able to get more out of the players then Taylor could. That’s all. I’m not ready to throw Taylor under the bus, I like that he’s aggressive and a former QB which can help us in the next year or so when we select one high. I do wonder how much control he really has, and if it’s as much as Marvin had in his final years.
Reply/Quote
Can't judge someone that quickly, No matter the record this year Ill need to see atleast 15-16 more years before I can make a final decision on ZT.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 05:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If a HC takes a team Marvin Lewis could get 8 wins out of and gets 0 wins out of them I would seriously doubt said HC with 0 wins would have much potential, at all.  I also don't think ZT goes 0-16, but if he were actually good for 8 fewer wins than Marvin Lewis I'd say we'd be insane to NOT fire him.

I beyond fine with Marvin being gone, but if ZT goes 0-16 and we are still hyped about how much "potential" he has, then we are bordering on crazy.

LOL. My how some have shifted the target once the arrow was launched.

Offseason: ANY Coach is an upgrade to Marvin. The new staff will coach these guys up as Marvin and company failed at developing players. The new coaching staff will improve our Win/Loss Record.

2 games into the season: Our roster lacks talent. Even if Taylor goes 0-2, he's better than Marvin.

A lot of fans don't hold the team accountable. They just shift what they consider success. Now apparently 0-16 would be success for atleast some fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 07:31 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Can't judge someone that quickly, No matter the record this year Ill need to see atleast 15-16 more years before I can make a final decision on ZT.

My thoughts exactly. Way too early to judge ZT after only 2 games. Heck, we might turn things around this week.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 08:03 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My thoughts exactly. Way too early to judge ZT after only 2 games. Heck, we might turn things around this week.

The Bengals version of turn things around is the defense playing great and the offense playing very bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 04:47 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was thinking if Taylor’s Bengals go 0-16 would it change the way you view Marvin as a HC. May not be fair since Taylor has a different staff but many of the key players are the same. I don’t think Marvin is with any team at the moment but maybe Marvin will actually benefit from a winless season. I’ve been as critical as anyone wanting Marvin gone years ago. In no way what so ever am I suggesting we bring him back, or if we are better with or without Marvin. I know there are a few here that think any kind of signification change with this organization will automatically damn us back to the 90’s. I’m Just curious what everyone thinks.

If ZT goes 0-16 I will commend him. 6-8 wins in the nfl is THE WORST place to be. I don’t understand that’s so hard to comprehend. Marvin Lewis was an 8 win specialty and some how we were ok with that for 16 years.... Strive for more...
Reply/Quote

If ZT goes 0-16 I will commend him. 6-8 wins in the nfl is THE WORST place to be. I don’t understand that’s so hard to comprehend. Marvin Lewis was an 8 win specialty and some how we were ok with that for 16 years.... Strive for more...
Reply/Quote
I don't think any coach would be successful with this beat up rag-tag offensive line of ours. Not Taylor, Lewis or even Belichick. Marvin had brought us back to respectability, but grew stale and needed to go. I only hope that if Taylor doesn't seem to be working out, we replace him in a timely manner and NOT keep him as long as we did David Shula.
Reply/Quote

He's not going to go 0-16 and no it would not change my opinion that he was way beyond stale and needed to go, quite some time ago. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Stick357 Wrote: If ZT goes 0-16 I will commend him. 6-8 wins in the nfl is THE WORST place to be. I don’t understand that’s so hard to comprehend. Marvin Lewis was an 8 win specialty and some how we were ok with that for 16 years.... Strive for more...

You would have been thrilled with Hue Jackson as our head coach.
Reply/Quote
So people would rather go 0-16 with "not Marvin" than go 8-8 with Marvin as the HC? Geez, I'm glad Marvin is gone but this is insane.

As it has been pointed out, we've gone from "We're already X amount of games better due to the coaching" to "Even if we go 0-16 ZT is better than Marvin." So if the Steelers fire Tomlin and their next HC goes 0-16 we're going to be worried he's going to be better than Tomlin? We aren't going to laugh? What the hell, folks!? This is getting wacky.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So people would rather go 0-16 with "not Marvin" than go 8-8 with Marvin as the HC?  Geez, I'm glad Marvin is gone but this is insane.

As it has been pointed out, we've gone from "We're already X amount of games better due to the coaching" to "Even if we go 0-16 ZT is better than Marvin."  So if the Steelers fire Tomlin and their next HC goes 0-16 we're going to be worried he's going to be better than Tomlin?  We aren't going to laugh?  What the hell, folks!?  This is getting wacky.

Moving the target for success after the season started.

It's pretty funny though. During the offseason I was like We need to upgrade the roster. And then we didn't. And people were all like the new coaching staff is an upgrade and they will 'coach up' the players.

Well guys like Jefferson must not have been coachable because they are gone. And the defense looked just as lost as it did last year.

Now, people are worried we'll go 0-16 and ZT will look like a failure.

To me, IF he doesn't win atleast as many games as they did under Marvin, then the new staff failed.

Don't forget Marvin started 4-1 last year with this roster when healthy. Then the roster was devastated with injuries.

The Seattle game was winnable...and the loss was mainly on the coaches. And fans were just thrilled we only lost by 1. Same with the 49ers game.
Reply/Quote