Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If We Go Into the Season with Uzomah and Sample...
(03-18-2021, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still, that is a long time in between McGee and Eifert.

Eifert only had one elite season too. I want us to make the Reiff signing official so Pitts is a possibility.
Very True, and was kind of my point  Wink
(03-18-2021, 07:07 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Very True, and was kind of my point  Wink

It is a very good one.
(03-18-2021, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I will dispute that.  Despite missing our #1 TE for 14 gaes last year Bengals TEs still had more receptions than TEs from Buffalo, Carolina, Arizona, and the Jets.

I don't think you know what bottom of the barrel means.  It doesn't mean last, it means near the bottom. 

You just named 4 teams that fared worse in one specific stat.  That means 27 teams had more receptions from the positon.

Also, since when is receptions the only metric?  Yards?  TD's?  I'm sure you specifically chose receptions because that was the our best category.  Sad thing is, even in doing that we ranked 28 out of the 32.

Last year Sample had more receptions (40) than the top TE on 11 other teams.  Uzomah's career best is 43.

Here we go again.  Typical Fred move to pull the very best statistic to make his case better (which is still weak). 

Why aren't you using Yards or TD's  Where does he rank there?

We've gone over this before, but I guess I'll have to do it again.  Sample was like 5th in the league in snaps at the position.  He shared very little time with anyone the last 14.5 games of the year.  While 11 other teams might have had #1 Tight Ends with less receptions, you may find that also had #2 Tight Ends that put up numbers as well, thus eating in to both the snaps and numbers of TE1.  That wasn't the case here.  It was Sample's show.

Also, holding up finishing 21 in receptions (best stat for Sample) among the TE1 is so pathetic.  This is what you do with Bobby Hart too ("He's ranked as the 40th best OT").  You're only proving my point.  This numbers are below average, and given proper context they flat out stink.

Total 100% bullshit.  There were only 30 TEs in the entire league who had more than 30 receptions last year.  Only 24 who had more than 400 receiving yards.  In 2018 Uzo had 43 receptions for 439 yards.  If he is healthy this year he not only makes the roster of every NFL team, but he would be the starter on several of them.

Only 30?  Only??? 

There's only 32 teams in the league.  That means all but two had at least 30 receptions.

Again, some teams have multiple Tight Ends who play a significant amount.  Sometimes they even play at the same time.  that was not the case here.  It was the Drew Sample show from the 2nd half of the 2nd game and on.

You bring up Uzomah in 2018 (one year out of six).  So you pick a career year.  That's fine I suppose.  But that really doesn't mean much when we're evaluating him now coming off an achilies tear and a decent cap hit now does it.

If you're trying to convince that a guy who is coming off a significant injury once has statitistics that would have put him 25th in the league in receiving yards then you're doing a terrible job.

Fwiw, I'm not saying he doesn't make a roster elsewhere or he gets cut if he goes elsewhere.  I'm saying if he was on another team in these exact circumstances (due over 6 million, coming off injury, in final year of contract, small amount of dead cap). 

You are completely clueless about the level of TE production in the NFL.  You are just so desperate to find something to squeal and cry about that you are making shit up out of thin air.

You can think whatever it is you like, but I promise you that there's people that are reading this also thinking how ridiculous all of your arguments are. (Not unlike many of your other posts)

"Our TE who was 5th in the league in snaps, who played on a team with the 13th most pass attempts, finished 24th in receptions!!!  Why would we want to upgrade here???"

"Bobby Hart is underrated.  Did you know he's the 40th best OT????"

Do you know how foolish you sound?

Would I complain about the Bengals getting an upgrade at TE?  No.  I admit that our TEs are not among the best in the league.  But they are far from the worst and this is one of the most over-the-top ridiculous hater threads I have ever seen.

I didn't say they were the worst, I said they were one of the worst.  And they are.  They're not good.

I don't care what stats you wanna pull out of your ass to say they could be ranked 27th, or 29th, or 25th, or whatever.  The fact of the matter is their well below average.  Not just below average, well below average.

If pointing this out is "squeeling", it's "over the top", or it makes me a "hater" to you then so be it.  I coudn't care less.
(03-18-2021, 06:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's almost as if the more good moves the Bengals make, the more desperate posters become to find something to complain about.

Well, if you had previously read the boards (you did), and were interested in having an unbiased and honest conversation about this (you're not), then you'd know I've been saying this for over 6 months now.

You can't pretend I'm saying this or doing anything because you think I'm trying to take away from good news when I've literally been having the same exact conversation for months.  This is not a new take. I've been beating the "cut Uzomah and sign a FA/draft Pitts drum forever.

I feel like it deserves it's own thread now that we're in free agency.  It's as simple as that.

PS You know what's funny, is that you had a leg to stand on or you really were capable of offering anything to this board instead of the defender of all things Bengals, you'd try to dispute what I said.  But you never do, with me or anyone else.  You make your little snarkey comment and add absolutely zilch to the discussion.
We got so many holes I don't see them signing a free agent tight end . But there will be plenty of tight ends in the draft we will end up with one.
(03-18-2021, 07:04 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Tony McGee was pretty good too, by todays standards none of them were elite though, for their time those guys were very good though.

Even if Reiff signs, they still need a minimum of 2 more quality starters. If Pitts is the pick at 5, they need at least 2 quality OL FA and then need to spend their 2nd on OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I just don't know how anyone can say that our TEs are not a weakness.

Think about it.

Breathe...

Now slap yourself.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Fwiw, CJ Uzomah is the 15th highest paid Tight End in the NFL right now.

Take a look at those career stats, his injury he's coming off, and explain to me how that makes any sense.
(03-18-2021, 08:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, CJ Uzomah is the 15th highest paid Tight End in the NFL right now.

Take a look at those career stats, his injury he's coming off, and explain to me how that makes any sense.

I think Uz has talent, but none of it adds up to his sum worth.

Too many negatives sink his value.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
(03-18-2021, 07:48 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: We got so many holes I don't see them signing a free agent tight end . But there will be plenty of tight ends in the draft we will end up with one.

I mean, you do realize that by cutting Uzomah we're can pretty much pay for another Tight End, right?  (Doesn't affect our ability to fill other holes whatsoever)

You can trade for Evan Engram right now (probably a late round pick) and spend an extra 700k vs. what you're saving from CJ.  (CJ saves 5.3 mil, Engram costs 6 mil)

I wouldn't be surprised that once Kyle Rudolph's 2 years "up to 16 million" deal's details get released that we'll find he's making under 6 mil per in 2021 either.

As far as the draft, I'm not so sure I have a lot of faith in Duke Tobin to land a decent one unless we go Pitts.  Here's our TE draft history past the 1st round since he's been here:

Brad St. Louis (7th)
Sean Brewer (3rd)
Matt Schobel (3rd)
Matt Sherry (6th)
Chase Coffman (3rd)
Orson Charles (4th)
Tyler Kroeft (3rd)
CJ Uzomah (5th)
Mason Shreck (7th)
Drew Sample (2nd)

To each their own, I wouldn't count on landing a legitimate starter in the draft unless we take Pitts.
(03-18-2021, 08:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think Uz has talent, but none of it adds up to his sum worth.

Too many negatives sink his value.

I agree.  I think he's got some talent too.  In fact, he's probably the best Tight End value we've ever drafted in these last 20 years (not saying much, but still)

I think what some of the others on here that get pissed don't realize is that it's not like I hate Uzomah.  He just makes an entirely way too much right now, and we can get out of his contract so easily.  And I don't think you can just pencil him as #1 and feel at all good about it.
(03-18-2021, 05:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If we go into the season we Uzomah and Sample I'm going to lose my shit.
I'll get the toilet paper ready.
(03-18-2021, 08:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, you do realize that by cutting Uzomah we're can pretty much pay for another Tight End, right?  (Doesn't affect our ability to fill other holes whatsoever)

You can trade for Evan Engram right now (probably a late round pick) and spend an extra 700k vs. what you're saving from CJ.  (CJ saves 5.3 mil, Engram costs 6 mil)

I wouldn't be surprised that once Kyle Rudolph's 2 years "up to 16 million" deal's details get released that we'll find he's making under 6 mil per in 2021 either.

As far as the draft, I'm not so sure I have a lot of faith in Duke Tobin to land a decent one unless we go Pitts.  Here's our TE draft history past the 1st round since he's been here:

Brad St. Louis (7th)
Sean Brewer (3rd)
Matt Schobel (3rd)
Matt Sherry (6th)
Chase Coffman (3rd)
Orson Charles (4th)
Tyler Kroeft (3rd)
CJ Uzomah (5th)
Mason Shreck (7th)
Drew Sample (2nd)

To each their own, I wouldn't count on landing a legitimate starter in the draft unless we take Pitts.

I mean I'm with you,I don't think uzomaha is that dependable and he's decent at best,he would never have a 100 yard game in his life. I'd love to have a stud tight end. Just don't think they will,and it looks like Taylor so far doesn't really value the tight end. The sample pick was a joke. But I can see the Bengals taking a low round tight end
How many TDS did the Bengals TEs as a whole accumalate last year?
The TEs need a serious upgrade.
Who was the last Bengals TE to score more than 2 TEs in a game?
Hes not even.on the roster now.
(03-18-2021, 08:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: How many TDS did the Bengals TEs as a whole accumalate last year?
The TEs need a serious upgrade.
Who was the last Bengals TE to score more than 2 TEs in a game?
Hes not even.on the roster now.

Where are you getting 3 from? Uzomah had 1. Sample had 1. That’s literally it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(03-18-2021, 05:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If we go into the season we Uzomah and Sample I'm going to lose my shit.

Fwiw, I'm starting to believe we will but I'm just bitching about it ahead of time so I don't accussed of looking for things to complain about, or using hindsight or anything else. And if it matters, I've been beating this drum ever since the middle of last year.

Uzomah is in his last year deal. He carries very little in dead space if he were to be cut. The guy has accomplished virtually nothing in his 6 year career (under 200 yards a seaon, under 1.2 TD's a seaon). And if all that isn't enough to realize we might want to move, he's coming off a torn achilies.

Then you have Drew Sample. Look, I've made my opinion well know on this guy (bum). He has offers nothing in the pass game. He's nowhere near starter level, and he's a middle of the road backup at best.

Would anyone disagree that these two being your top two TE's would mean you have an absolute bottom of the barrell TE group? Does anyone dispute that? These two guys are among the worst duo's you can find at the position.

So one would think, with Uzomah being so easy cut, with us having cap space, and with the position being so below average that we would look to upgrade it, right? I mean, seriously, why would you not?

Well let's take a look at some of the Tight Ends that are already off the board this early in free agency (as far as I know we didn't pursue a single one of them)...

-Hunter Henry
-Jonnu Smith
-Kyle Rudolph
-Gerald Everett
-Jared Cook

Alright, so maybe you think a player or two is too expensive. Maybe one is too old. Maybe you just think a couple of they are overrated. That's all fair, but I think as this list grows it's going to be harder and harder to ignore the opportunity missed.

If we pass on all these guys, if we pass on trying to trade for Evan Engram, if we pass on trying to trade for Ertz, if we don't at least make a play at Gronk, and if we pass on Kyle Pitts, then what the hell are we doing?

There's a lot of things I complain about when it comes to the Bengals. Something like this would be near the top. You can't just completely ignore a position of need when there's this many different options (expensive, middle tier, cheap, trade, draft). There's a lot of different ways we could get better here. Keeping Uzomah and Sample is about the laziest of laziest moves.

I'll wrap it up here. I know that for whatever reason, people are perfectly fine with Uzomah and Sample but I'll never understand why. Uzomah gets cuts on 31/32 teams in this league. So I hope the Bengals surprise me here and make a run at someone giving us a legitimate option at TE.

Please, Bengals.... Please, please, please upgrade your Tight End!

I would prefer any one of those TE’s over both Uzo & Sample. Really had my hopes up for Henry or Everett
(03-18-2021, 08:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Where are you getting 3 from? Uzomah had 1. Sample had 1. That’s literally it.

My error..I thought Carter had 1 too
This is a funny post...there are 2 consistent things about the Bengals...they do not care about the position of TE and they cannot cover a TE on defense...I think they are linked because the FO is 20 years behind...just like not paying IOL because they are not important even though the founder of this franchise and they father of the current owner took a center as his first ever draft pick...It is strange being a Bengals fan.
(03-18-2021, 07:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, if you had previously read the boards (you did), and were interested in having an unbiased and honest conversation about this (you're not), then you'd know I've been saying this for over 6 months now.

You can't pretend I'm saying this or doing anything because you think I'm trying to take away from good news when I've literally been having the same exact conversation for months.  This is not a new take.  I've been beating the "cut Uzomah and sign a FA/draft Pitts drum forever.

I feel like it deserves it's own thread now that we're in free agency.  It's as simple as that.

PS You know what's funny, is that you had a leg to stand on or you really were capable of offering anything to this board instead of the defender of all things Bengals, you'd try to dispute what I said.  But you never do, with me or anyone else.  You make your little snarkey comment and add absolutely zilch to the discussion.

I'm not against upgrading TE, or any position. You're assertion that our TE's are the bottom of the barrel and last in the league are nothing more than hot air that is demonstrably wrong.
(03-18-2021, 10:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not against upgrading TE, or any position. You're assertion that our TE's are the bottom of the barrel and last in the league are nothing more than hot air that is demonstrably wrong.

Did any other team get less than 2 TD’s from their entire TE group last year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]