Poll: If the Bengals Win the Toss, Would You Prefer We Take the Ball or Defer?
This poll is closed.
Take the Ball First
82.86%
29 82.86%
Defer to Second Half
17.14%
6 17.14%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If We Win the Toss .........
Do you take the ball or defer? Zac has been taking the ball and I expect that will be the decision today. I'm thinking the Chiefs probably defer, so I think we will be on offense first, either way.

What would you prefer we do if we win the toss? Do you want the ball first to start the game or do you want it first coming out of halftime?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
I always like it at halftime, but hard to argue with success. Nothing like being up 7-0 before tgeir offense has seen the field.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Take the ball, fast offensive starts are key for us
Reply/Quote
Take it if you believe you can march down the field and score.

I'm of the belief that there are real injury concerns for KC regardless of what the Chiefs are putting out there. Making them come from behind could be a tall task if Bengals are dropping 8.

I could also see the benefit of deferring if you think your defense is up to the task of forcing a punt early.

Can't remember what we've done this year to start the 2nd half so if anyone has the stats lemme know.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Love the straddling the fence answers. lol

I agree, it is a bit of a difficult choice.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 05:07 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Love the straddling the fence answers.  lol

I agree, it is a bit of a difficult choice.

I think because common sense tells us taking the ball vs. a rowdy crowd is not an ideal start.

You'd like to "settle in" the game a bit hopefully off a defensive 3 and out. 

But yes really will be no clear answer
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Take the ball, shove it down their throats, take a big lead into halftime, stop them coming out of halftime, rinse and repeat.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
why change what has been working? They take the ball first

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Don't fix what ain't broken. Take the ball first.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Take the ball first. A huge key is taking the crowd of it early. No better way to do that than having the very first drive of the game end with 7 points, something this team has been remarkabley effective at. Mark our territory quick.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 05:01 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Do you take the ball or defer?   Zac has been taking the ball and I expect that will be the decision today. I'm thinking the Chiefs probably defer, so I think we will be on offense first, either way.

What would you prefer we do if we win the toss?   Do you want the ball first to start the game or do you want it first coming out of halftime?

my gut is Chiefs take the ball
Reply/Quote
Take the ball first. Establish the tone.

March down the field and let them know who’s in charge!
Reply/Quote
Take the ball the same way we always do. Especially against the Chiefs where our D came out after halftime last year and shut them down. Give them one less first half possession before Lou regroups with his guys at halftime.
Reply/Quote
I would defer. Crowd noise will almost certainly be less at the start of the 3rd Q. Many folks will be in the rest room and grabbing a beer for half the first drive.
Reply/Quote
Take the ball - as others have said don’t change what’s been working
Reply/Quote
Lou is the Master of adjustments. Taking the ball first ensures the opponent will not have more offensive series than us (barring Defensive TDs).

Let them get the short end of the stick on offensive possesions in the 1/2 half and allow Lou to adjust at halftime
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I understand both sides. Generally, I do like having the ball coming out of halftime but there is also something to be said for setting an aggressive tone early. It's a "We are the AFC champs and our d!**s are bigger than yours" kinda message to take the ball first. I'm kinda torn but I'm just hoping it's 7-0 good guys after five or six minutes, either way.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
take the ball and score.
I can't find it now, but i recall reading something like the last 7 winners of AFCCG scored first
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 05:16 PM)pally Wrote: why change what has been working?  They take the ball first

I agree, but doubling up for end of/start of half worked well for us last year as well. 

We've been having much better 1st halves so far this year so maybe that's part of it though. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 05:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: take the ball and score.
I can't find it now, but i recall reading something like the last 7 winners of AFCCG scored first

Can't be. Chiefs scored first last year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote