Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If You’re Concerned About the Lack of Offensive Firepower in the Preseason…
(08-19-2023, 12:36 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: I do wonder if game 3 will be a time when we see more consistent PT from our starters. Probably won’t be a ton of time but at least more than what we have seen so far.

Starters almost never play in the last preseason game.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 11:29 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I can't say the offense has looked good. But I think it's important to take note that the offense drove down against the Falcons 1st defense and only stalled on a 4th and 2 in field goal range. I'd have to rewatch the drive as I don't remember how they got down there but it was against legit competition.

Im more concerned about their offense driving down the field on our 1st Team defense with no problem.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:27 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I didn't plan on Bengals scoring 25+ points in pre-season but it's been awful to watch. I hope all of this lack of offense is on the back up QB because the rest of the team is future starters that need to show something.

So far 26 teams scored 20 or fewer points between week 1 and week 2. Only 13 teams have scored over 20 and only 3 over 30. Teams don't put up points in preseason.

Both of our back up QBs suck and we haven't played a single offense starter (outside of Williams) the entire preseason. 

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 03:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im more concerned about their offense driving down the field on our 1st Team defense with no problem.

The defense i believe will take a step back from the last 2 years. But as the secondary gels they should become a solid group that's my hope anyway. Atlanta is a very good running team and they had a lot of nice play action passes setup. I rewatched the two opening drives. I will say Bijan would've been gone without a Dax Hill stop so positive he was able to get the stop. Also it took Atlanta converting a 3rd and 12 that was a good throw and catch but it was against Turner so when it's Awuzie hopefully that's a pass breakup. Still it's they're first action so can't get too up or down.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 03:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im more concerned about their offense driving down the field on our 1st Team defense with no problem.

Vanilla basic defense vs an offense that was using a ton of motions and fakes. They definitely gave up a lot of yards but came away with 3 at worst (if not for the Battle penalty) and stopped them in the red zone twice. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 03:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Stopping Chubb? Unless Cleveland changes it's game back to giving it to Chubb on just about every snap, then we will be fine.
Just look at Chubb's stats once Watson started playing. Cleveland is working on being more of a passing team now. I'm not saying he will suck, i just don't think that Chubb won't be as big of a factor as he has been.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/american-sports/nick-chubb-deshaun-watson-browns-30361303

The running back is one of the largest offensive threats for the Browns, picking up 6,341 rushing yards and running for 48 touchdowns since being drafted back in 2018. Chubb ran for 12 touchdowns last season, but they all came in the first 11 games, as he failed to score once Watson was reintroduced. 

A fair point. I'm assuming they will get back to running the ball. I guess I made the point on Chubb because the more we stop him for short gains the more we can push them to the pass. Maybe that sounds obvious but I was expressing concern our new safeties may not have the same physicality of the ones we lost. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The defense i believe will take a step back from the last 2 years. But as the secondary gels they should become a solid group that's my hope anyway. Atlanta is a very good running team and they had a lot of nice play action passes setup. I rewatched the two opening drives. I will say Bijan would've been gone without a Dax Hill stop so positive he was able to get the stop. Also it took Atlanta converting a 3rd and 12 that was a good throw and catch but it was against Turner so when it's Awuzie hopefully that's a pass breakup. Still it's they're first action so can't get too up or down.

Im still very concerned with the push upfront.  The safeties were not an issue, lots of underneath stuff and like you said play action.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:01 PM)TheFan Wrote: Vanilla basic defense vs an offense that was using a ton of motions and fakes. They definitely gave up a lot of yards but came away with 3 at worst (if not for the Battle penalty) and stopped them in the red zone twice. 

Atlanta did not reveal their full offense either, we did play action as well, just not nearly as good.

Also, this was NOT a good team last year.  Allowing them long drives on both possessions was not a good sign.

I understand it is the preseason but hopefully we can tighten it up over the next few weeks.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Atlanta did not reveal their full offense either, we did play action as well, just not nearly as good.

Also, this was NOT a good team last year.  Allowing them long drives on both possessions was not a good sign.

I understand it is the preseason but hopefully we can tighten it up over the next few weeks.

Really only 1 drive. Unless you are concerned about the backups. Atlanta may have not been a good team last year but they had to be high on the rushing efficiency list. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Atlanta did not reveal their full offense either, we did play action as well, just not nearly as good.

My observations are the backup OL has experience. That’s a disappointment. Myles Murphy a disappointment. Backup QB is a disappointment. Our depth at WR is better and in the secondary. I do think our 53 man roster is better. Right now I’m slightly disappointed going into the season. I thought we’d be a little stronger roster wise. We are but not like I’d hoped. The rookies I’m pleased with generally.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'm not too concerned with it being pre-season but our backup QB's....eek
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
The back up QBs are scared. Just awful. Call Carolina and get the Red Rifle back to Cincy as backup. He can beat Ravens and Browns just not Steelers.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: …please don’t be.  

This is how championship caliber teams run the preseason.  While there may be some actual rehearsal going on, most of what we are seeing from the coaches is primarily evaluation for (1) current depth and (2) potential for the future.  

What we see in the 2023 preseason guides the 2024-27 draft, free agency, and trade needs.  Bad teams draft for immediate improvement that season.  Great teams draft looking two or more seasons ahead.

True, we all want to see perfection, but the best teams almost always look the most imperfect in the preseason.

I am not concerned about the Offense or the Defense. Maybe a little bit with the Punters but hey, if the Offense is as good as we think 
it will be, we won't be Punting much.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: A fair point. I'm assuming they will get back to running the ball. I guess I made the point on Chubb because the more we stop him for short gains the more we can push them to the pass. Maybe that sounds obvious but I was expressing concern our new safeties may not have the same physicality of the ones we lost. 

Eh, Dax Hill is WAY more physical than Bates, Bell was really physical though, more than Scott. Kind of even steven in terms of physicality 
at the Safety position. Battle is also very physical. We actually might be more physical at the Safety position this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Dax Hill is WAY more physical than Bates, Bell was really physical though, more than Scott. Kind of even steven in terms of physicality 
at the Safety position. Battle is also very physical. We actually might be more physical at the Safety position this year.

Yeah gonna have to disagree on that one. Not really sure what you are basing the Dax is more physical that Bates argument because we've barely seen him play. But having said that we haven't really seen this group play an actual game so we will just have to wait and see either way. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, we all want to see perfection, but the best teams almost always look the most imperfect in the preseason.

I am not concerned about the Offense or the Defense. Maybe a little bit with the Punters but hey, if the Offense is as good as we think 
it will be, we won't be Punting much.

I'm not be too sure about that. Remember the last 2 years and all the 3 and outs?  We'll be punting plenty. We were stopped plenty with 4th and whatever on the wrong side of the 50.
Reply/Quote
Preseason doesn't really matter outside of getting some playtime and group cohesion for the guys who will make the roster and getting a look at fringe guys to see who will make the final cuts... but you'd still hope to not look like complete dogshit.

KC is has scored 24 and 38 points mostly with Blaine Gabbert and Shane Buechele at QB looking good with no Kelce and only 3 catches for 27 yards from their top-3 WRs.

You don't have to look terrible just because you are playing backup QBs, backup WRs, and are in preseason, so it's a bit silly to say this is how championship caliber teams run the preseason.

Again, I am not worried (so long as Burrow is on the field), but it'd sure be a lot nicer if it wasn't a complete dumpster fire without him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with it and get that it's the way Zac roles. Hard to argue with the overall results his gotten anyway.

Plus we all know the Bengals don't have a adequate back up QB, so there is no reason to expect otherwise.

Expecing plenty of fireworks from the starters in the regular season though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2023, 09:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Preseason doesn't really matter outside of getting some playtime and group cohesion for the guys who will make the roster and getting a look at fringe guys to see who will make the final cuts... but you'd still hope to not look like complete dogshit.

KC is has scored 24 and 38 points mostly with Blaine Gabbert and Shane Buechele at QB  looking good with no Kelce and only 3 catches for 27 yards from their top-3 WRs.

You don't have to look terrible just because you are playing backup QBs, backup WRs, and are in preseason, so it's a bit silly to say this is how championship caliber teams run the preseason.

Again, I am not worried (so long as Burrow is on the field), but it'd sure be a lot nicer if it wasn't a complete dumpster fire without him.

Bingo

I recorded Falcons game and have watched good bits of it here and there as time allows. How can I put this? Nothing really impresses me about either backup QB. I mean I get it, pretty much all baclup QB's are backups for a reason, duh.

But our offense just seems out of sync, unsure, disjointed....a lot. Oh there's been a couple decent drives and a few good plays. But overall nothing that raises the needle much.

I'm still not totally sure which backup I'd go with yet? And I never though I'd be saying that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote