Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Want REAL Change...
(01-25-2017, 12:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Behind the best offensive lines in football, look at what Dak Prescott and Jacoby Brissett accomplished.  Just sayin' ....

And Tom Brady....(lights fuse...sneaks away)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Big problem number 1- dalton has a army of fans, on Bengals reddit they even call him the red headed God. The Bengals know this. They wouldn't want to piss off the dalton army.

Big problem number 2- marvin is scared of change, he's just a scared coach period. We get a td lead, play conservative and try to escape with the win. Hold them off defense for the love of God. He's all in on dalton. They already got mccarons replacement ready to go, and I hope he never sees the field. I think it would be worse then Steelers back up Landry.

I'm at a loss of words on how to fix us, I'm just in watch it play out mode. They've already said no coaching changes. I don't think the off season will be that exciting like usual. I suspect some of the bums will be right back. Peko and dansby, probably Adam Jones too. His dad ain't going to fire him, Marvin.

I think they'll go early defense in the draft Foster or Barnett, unless whit leaves then well see cam Robinson as the replacement. And well hope for the best outcome next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...let's bust up this roster and bring in some players who can win in the postseason.  Think outside the box! Dream big! Make YUGE moves!  The Cincinnati Bengals are going to have to expand far beyond their comfort zone to get to the Super Bowl.  Right now the Front Office is acting like the Chinese Politburo, making an endless string of five year plans instead of making the big splash impact moves the team has needed to make since George Bush 41 was president.

Only one quarterback in Marvin Lewis' tenure ever held a lead in a playoff game in the fourth quarter: AJ McCarron.  Why not send Andy Dalton* to San Francisco or Chicago for a butt load of picks, and use the money saved to load up the offensive line with brutal physicality, talent, and so much intelligence not even Paul Alexander could screw them up.  Not only could Jeremy Hill run behind such a line, an octogenarian with a walker could score from three yards out.

Cut Pacman Jones with his legal problems and his big salary!  Use that money to lock down Dre Kirkpatrick, draft Malik Hooker, and pay him a lot of money to provide over the top coverage well into Tom Brady's retirement years.  Get Domata Peko on the sideline, get a big, mean defensive tackle to play next to Geno Atkins, and get some linebackers worthy to suit up next to Vontaze Burfict.

*I think the world of Andy Dalton.  I don't ever want him to leave, but if....
I disagree with the people that always want to blow it up and start from scratch idea....but you are probably going to get your wish since we lost so many Bengals players last March and stand to lose many more this March....This does NOT mean Mike Brown and Family is going to bring in and pay top replacements and the thought that he would do this should have us rolling on the floor laughing. We know better.....REAL CHANGE would be if the Brown Family sold the Bengals or hired a GM, neither of which is going to happen. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 08:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Big problem number 1- dalton has a army of fans, on Bengals reddit they even call him the red headed God. The Bengals know this. They wouldn't want to piss off the dalton army.

Big problem number 2- marvin is scared of change, he's just a scared coach period. We get a td lead, play conservative and try to escape with the win. Hold them off defense for the love of God. He's all in on dalton. They already got mccarons replacement ready to go, and I hope he never sees the field. I think it would be worse then Steelers back up Landry.

I'm at a loss of words on how to fix us, I'm just in watch it play out mode. They've already said no coaching changes. I don't think the off season will be that exciting like usual. I suspect some of the bums will be right back. Peko and dansby, probably Adam Jones too. His dad ain't going to fire him, Marvin.

I think they'll go early defense in the draft Foster or Barnett, unless whit leaves then well see cam Robinson as the replacement. And well hope for the best outcome next year.

This post is dripping with awesome sauce! +1!

I'm part of "Andy's Army" myself because Andy Dalton has been a winner since high school and I see his leadership skills on display on the field. It can be argued he won in Week One against the Jets by sheer willpower. But even armies need changes of command and I'm not opposed to this if it gets Cincinnati a Lombardi.

Similarly, I think Marvin Lewis is amazing in how he pulled the wreckage of the 1990s off the side of the road and became -- statistically -- the most successful coach in Bengal history. This isn't enough. Marvin has one more year on his contract and Mike Brown will honor that as he should.

What can I say about Mike Brown? I'll stick to the positive because we've hashed out his negatives on this board and on the old board for over a decade now. He's loyal to his players and coaches and he pays for talent when he finds it. I only wish he weren't so comfortable with how things are done and if he's still driving a 1990 Lumina, this means he might keep players and coaches past their useful lifetimes too. I just hope and pray Mike gets a Lombardi. The fact that his father's team doesn't have one isn't good because nobody affected football more than Paul Brown.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the "splashy" move or big changes is going to help this team. Our team is one year removed from 5 straight playoffs and we are built on continuity similar to the Patriots and Packers.

That plan did not pan out this year and showed that we have some holes to upgrade/fill. My biggest problem with the team is that I do not see Marvin winning a Super Bowl as a HC. His lack of game prep and game management, especially in big games, are huge setbacks to overcome. However, our HC is not going to change this year.

We addressed O-line in past drafts and I think we still give Og and Fisher a chance to shine before wasting more draft picks on unproven rookies. CB is a similar situation, we should give Jackson and Dennard a chance. At this point, for our first pick I would want one of three prospects: Mike Williams, Rueben Foster, or one of the DE's available.

Mike Williams would give us another physical receiver opposite of AJ and seems to fit that Chris Henry mold.

Rueben Foster easily upgrades probably our weakest position group.

DE's is my go to pick. Having a D-line that can get to the QB is huge. Not only can sacks and pressures kill drives, but they also help to cover up weaknesses at the LB and DB positions.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 07:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That IS a far better idea than what I proposed, of course.  My thesis was predicated on a continuous stream of bad coaches working in Cincinnati.  You're right: The current roster excelled in college but when they come to the black hole on the Ohio River, skills decay.

At the VERY least, flush that lifer turd, Paul Alexander.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
With salary cap hits of trading contracts...I'm not even sure we could trade Dalton if we wanted to.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe that Andy is anywhere close to the problem here. I'm not ready to anoint him near the elite QBs of the league, but do believe he is fully capable of winning in the playoffs (I believe he's over his nerves in playoff games now, although we don't have proof of it until we make it to the playoffs). Once the first playoff win comes (and it probably has to come against a really weak team), the Bengals will have the confidence to go further in the future. This is where that loss to the Chargers in 2013, really was a huge missed opportunity. But back to the OP. The main reason why the Bengals don't win in the playoffs or against certain opponents, is that they don't seem to have the innovation to take aggressive moves in free agency/coaching hires by the front office or on the field by the current coaching staff. The same thing that would require pulling off the kind of moves that the OP is suggesting is what's missing in the first place. If they had this type of aggression, and the flexibility to try something completely different when their plan A is not working, we probably wouldn't be in the position to need the kind of moves that the OP is talking about, and the Bengals would be in a better position than where we find them.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...let's bust up this roster and bring in some players who can win in the postseason.  Think outside the box! Dream big! Make YUGE moves!  The Cincinnati Bengals are going to have to expand far beyond their comfort zone to get to the Super Bowl.  Right now the Front Office is acting like the Chinese Politburo, making an endless string of five year plans instead of making the big splash impact moves the team has needed to make since George Bush 41 was president.

Only one quarterback in Marvin Lewis' tenure ever held a lead in a playoff game in the fourth quarter: AJ McCarron.  Why not send Andy Dalton* to San Francisco or Chicago for a butt load of picks, and use the money saved to load up the offensive line with brutal physicality, talent, and so much intelligence not even Paul Alexander could screw them up.  Not only could Jeremy Hill run behind such a line, an octogenarian with a walker could score from three yards out.

Cut Pacman Jones with his legal problems and his big salary!  Use that money to lock down Dre Kirkpatrick, draft Malik Hooker, and pay him a lot of money to provide over the top coverage well into Tom Brady's retirement years.  Get Domata Peko on the sideline, get a big, mean defensive tackle to play next to Geno Atkins, and get some linebackers worthy to suit up next to Vontaze Burfict.

Blowing up this roster will lead to many a year of not having to worry about winning in the postseason cause we wont get back.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: At the VERY least, flush that lifer turd, Paul Alexander.

Knowing how MB operates big changes are about even with pushing a rope. So if I could have just one wish, this would be it !
Reply/Quote
At this point, I'm all for trading Dalton and starting McCarron. Not because I think it will help the team, but because the reactions on here would be priceless when Dalton won playoff games in a place like Houston, while Mac turned out to be in way over his head.

People think Andy and Mac are much closer than they really are. It's like comparing Matt Stafford to Landry Jones. Or at the very least, someone like Alex Smith to someone like Matt Barkley.

I honestly can't imagine what teams like the Jags, Texans, Bills, Jets, 49ers, etc would offer up for a QB that's 20 games over .500 and has the kind of numbers Dalton has put up over the last 5 seasons. If not for the 2015 injury, Dalton would have 3 seasons with 4k passing yards and 3 seasons with 30+ TDs.

Meanwhile, the McCarron hype train was out of control from the start. He won 2 games against cupcake teams. Had a so so game against Denver. Then he has an abysmal playoff game with multiple turnovers and a 68 passer rating and people tab him as some kind of hero over it. Totally disregarding the fact that our defense had by FAR their best performance of any of the 7 playoff games.

They held a supposedly legendary offense to 15 points (before the meltdown), while sacking Ben 4 times (most in all 7 playoff games) and forcing 2 turnovers (most in all 7 playoff games). They held up despite Mac's turnovers and gave him the ball right back. Often with a short field. To sum it up, Mac was no hero. He was leading yet another abysmal offensive playoff performance. The only difference between he and Dalton is that the defense actually held up and kept providing Mac multiple chances to get things right.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Hookers. Yes, i vote for the Hookers.

But only the clean ones. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote