Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Want to See the Future Without Upgrades
If you want to see what the Bengals’ future looks like without serious upgrades around Joe Burrow go on YouTube and watch old video of Archie Manning and the Saints. Archie was unbelievably talented but he had a horrific offensive line and very few capable receivers during his career. With the Saints he finished at 0.500 only once; all other seasons featured losing records.

Jack Youngblood, a defensive lineman for the Rams, admitted he and others didn’t tackle Archie as hard as they could because he was so lightly protected. They tackled him and sacked him but they didn’t hit him hard.

If Archie Manning had been on almost any other team he would be wearing multiple Super Bowl rings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you want to see what the Bengals’ future looks like without serious upgrades around Joe Burrow go on YouTube and watch old video of Archie Manning and the Saints. Archie was unbelievably talented but he had a horrific offensive line and very few capable receivers during his career.  With the Saints he finished at 0.500 only once; all other seasons featured losing records.

Jack Youngblood, a defensive lineman for the Rams, admitted he and others didn’t tackle Archie as hard as they could because he was so lightly protected. They tackled him and sacked him but they didn’t hit him hard.

If Archie Manning had been on almost any other team he would be wearing multiple Super Bowl rings.

So when does Mike Brown realize that if they if you have a stud O-Line you win. It's not rocket science build a strong line and your team will get better. Great QB's and RB need a strong line to succeed. Watch Borrow is going to get injured. Pittsburg and Baltimore are going to be coming for him, and being soft on him is the last thing on their minds.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:29 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: So when does Mike Brown realize that if they if you have a stud O-Line you win. It's not rocket science build a strong line and your team will get better.

That’s how Paul Brown made the Cleveland Browns a perennial powerhouse in the 1950s and 1960s and how Vince Lombardi made the Packers great. Paul and Vince built from the trenches outward. Guess who else still does this? Bill Belichick. Super Bowl wins — and pre-Super Bowl championship titles — don’t lie.
Reply/Quote
I miss the days of Whittworth, Zietler, Boling and Smith. That team was dangerous, but no coaching and lack of discipline stop them from winning. They had to go Burrow and I think he will be great but they should have not taken the WR with the first pick of the second round. He is a good player but they should have used the pick on the O-Line. I get it the last two early lineman Ogbuehi and Price did not work out, but they cant just avoid getting lineman early.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you want to see what the Bengals’ future looks like without serious upgrades around Joe Burrow go on YouTube and watch old video of Archie Manning and the Saints. Archie was unbelievably talented but he had a horrific offensive line and very few capable receivers during his career.  With the Saints he finished at 0.500 only once; all other seasons featured losing records.

If the franchise gaffes continue, expect Burrows to be long gone AFTER 4 years, or maybe traded sooner.

He already mentioned he isn't used to losing 2 in a row and he will NOT put up with a gaffed filled franchise!
Reply/Quote

Heck, you don't have to go that far back...look at Andrew Luck.  That's where Burrow is headed if they don't find some balance on offense and some better protection.  
Reply/Quote
Jim McMahon is another name that comes to mind. I have no idea if Burrow will ever be that good or if he'll bounce around the league like Jim did. I could see him having a similar career trajectory. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Heck, you don't have to go that far back...look at Andrew Luck.  That's where Burrow is headed if they don't find some balance on offense and some better protection.  

(09-18-2020, 03:52 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Jim McMahon is another name that comes to mind. I have no idea if Burrow will ever be that good or if he'll bounce around the league like Jim did. I could see him having a similar career trajectory. 

Yup, I know in his post game interview he said the hits don't bother him, but they physically will start to add up. Look at RG3, all the hits he took running, which is what I can see Burrow having to do more as the pocket just collapses play after play.

I'd actually be surprised if he starts all 16 games this year without an injury.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:52 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Jim McMahon is another name that comes to mind. I have no idea if Burrow will ever be that good or if he'll bounce around the league like Jim did. I could see him having a similar career trajectory. 

I don't want to get too off topic but Jim McMahon is a sad case, and hugely precautuinary tale.

If anybody hasn't read up on him recently he's got some pretty severe issues from all of his concussions.  It's really sad.  The guy was larger than life when I was a little kid.
Reply/Quote

I remember those years, from when I was a kid.  They were dubbed "The Aint's", their fans wore paper bags over their heads.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't want to get too off topic but Jim McMahon is a sad case, and hugely precautuinary tale.

If anybody hasn't read up on him recently he's got some pretty severe issues from all of his concussions.  It's really sad.  The guy was larger than life when I was a little kid.

That game in the dense fog was epic, as well as him wearing the headband with "Rozelle" on it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That game in the dense fog was epic, as well as him wearing the headband with "Rozelle" on it.

I always picture him with all the Adidas stuff too.  This scene always stuck out to me as peak Jim McMahon:

Reply/Quote
when that crazy packer went full wwe and body slammed Mcmahon to the turf. He was never same player
Reply/Quote
Its not the same NFL as back then as far as concussions and stuff, but I get it. After watching Burrow get hit 8 times against Cleveland it makes you wonder how much of that he can take. But after watching the last offseason, I dont have any doubts about them addressing team needs. We just had too many last year to address everything in one offseason. We have a young OL that could also improve as the year goes on, it just doesnt seem like it will be enough right now. I think the next offseason they will address the trenches on both sides of the ball. We need a legit pass rushing DE, more depth at DT and obviously OLmen out the wazoo.

Still think Williams and Jordan can and will get better as the season goes on. I would also like to see Billy Price actually play 100% healthy which hasnt happened much. Adeniji may turn into something as well and I hope he starts at RT asap. We may find out that our best combo on the right side is Billy at RG and Adeniji at RT.
Reply/Quote
Lmao at some folks still holding out hope for billy price. He’s a bust. I know it’s hard for you osu fans to swallow
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s how Paul Brown made the Cleveland Browns a perennial powerhouse in the 1950s and 1960s and how Vince Lombardi made the Packers great.  Paul and Vince built from the trenches outward.  Guess who else still does this?  Bill Belichick.  Super Bowl wins — and pre-Super Bowl championship titles — don’t lie.

This makes me wish Cincy will take The Cowboys route and spend all their high round draft capital on offensive linemen.  At least for the next two years.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 02:11 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: This makes me wish Cincy will take The Cowboys route and spend all their high round draft capital on offensive linemen.  At least for the next two years.

I would happily give up Dunlap, Geno and AJ for the Cowboys Line.  I know AJ is on a 1 YR deal  but when does Genos and Dunlap expire? Time for these guys to pack it up. 
Reply/Quote

Two games in and you've lost your mind?  I'm a little surprised.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:57 PM)McC Wrote: Two games in and you've lost your mind?  I'm a little surprised.

Not just two games. Sixteen games. 2020 is looking a lot like 2019 for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 06:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Not just two games.  Sixteen games.  2020 is looking a lot like 2019 for the Bengals.

That's not true at all.  We've lost two games by a total of eight points and if not for a bad call, we would have won the first game and if not for a blown chip shot FG, we'd have had a chance to win it even with the bad call.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote