Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If You Were Browns Owner / GM In Draft ?
I'll tell you what I would do. Browns every year draft QB early, every single year, and every single year they stink. I would take a years break from drafting QB early. I would address other needs. Just lost LT. Not enough blocking. Not enough talent at WR, RB, Defense. I would not want picks at 1 and 4. I would trade one of them down for 2 or 3 picks later. I would want as many picks as an expansion team considering 0-16 season. I'm not saying as owner/GM I don't need a QB, but taking over I see way too many drafts taking QB. This leaves me with too many holes all over the field. Since drafting QB has not been the answer, I try to rebuild entire team. I think I can draft a QB later in draft but I also think I can get a veteran looking for a job plus a QB already on team. That if I build this team up, I can find a QB to get me 6 to 8 wins, which would be a huge jump from 0-16. I would be building for 4 years down the road for Super Bowl with this mistake on the lake. I take QB completely off table first 3 or 4 rounds and stop the insanity of this team drafting QB each and every year. The fans will start to get it when they see much needed talent at other positions take the field, and team starts looking good for first time since 1980's. As Paul Brown in 1968, I tell fans it will take a few seasons to build this thing up from 0 wins. Eventually I would want a top QB and a top RB. You can't win off Lake Erie without a great RB. Motley, Brown, Kelly, Pruitt. Every year the media says Browns need to draft QB, but as new owner/GM, I would not be listening to the media at all.

In the end, Browns WILL draft a QB early, AGAIN, and lose AGAIN. As A Bengals Fan, I hope they listen to the media. I would like to see Browns, Steelers and Ravens all have off years so Bengals can dominate AFC North. The fact is Steelers and Ravens bring a lot of defense and will be tough. 0-16 Browns helped Bengy's to 7 win season, not 5 win season. The day will come Browns stop drafting QB every year and get tough again.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 02:21 AM)kevin Wrote: I'll tell you what I would do.  Browns every year draft QB early, every single year, and every single year they stink.  I would take a years break from drafting QB early.  I would address other needs. Just lost LT. Not enough blocking. Not enough talent at WR, RB, Defense.  I would not want picks at 1 and 4. I would trade one of them down for 2 or 3 picks later.  I would want as many picks as an expansion team considering 0-16 season. I'm not saying as owner/GM I don't need a QB, but taking over I see way too many drafts taking QB. This leaves me with too many holes all over the field. Since drafting QB has not been the answer, I try to rebuild entire team. I think I can draft a QB later in draft but I also think I can get a veteran looking for a job plus a QB already on team. That if I build this team up, I can find a QB to get me 6 to 8 wins, which would be a huge jump from 0-16.  I would be building for 4 years down the road for Super Bowl with this mistake on the lake.  I take QB completely off table first 3 or 4 rounds and stop the insanity of this team drafting QB each and every year.   The fans will start to get it when they see much needed talent at other positions take the field, and team starts looking good for first time since 1980's. As Paul Brown in 1968, I tell fans it will take a few seasons to build this thing up from 0 wins. Eventually I would want a top QB and a top RB. You can't win off Lake Erie without a great RB. Motley, Brown, Kelly, Pruitt.  In the draft, when in doubt, I would draft best players out of Big 10 and other Northern colleges to play in the slop off Lake Erie as Paul Brown.  Of course taking all over USA, but when in doubt, take players use to the sloppy weather.

I get what you are saying but if you get 6-8 wins with another quarterback (Tyrod for example) then you lose the opportunity at the first picks of the next year's draft. I think they should take one of the quarterbacks if they really like him... Saquon Barkley would also be a good pick up for them. Having picks 1 and 4 puts the Browns in a really good spot. Maybe they take Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4?

There are no top tier tackles in this draft so I feel that's something they need to address after round 1. Maybe Joe Thomas will change his mind after the draft ;-)

The last thing I want to say is that the Browns wide receivers don't look too bad for 2018. They have Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, a healthy (hopefully) Corey Coleman, and just signed Jeff Janis along with some other young prospects like Rashard Higgins. I don't think they need to draft a receiver early unless there is a good value prospect available.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 02:50 AM)Domata94 Wrote: I get what you are saying but if you get 6-8 wins with another quarterback (Tyrod for example) then you lose the opportunity at the first picks of the next year's draft. I think they should take one of the quarterbacks if they really like him... Saquon Barkley would also be a good pick up for them. Having picks 1 and 4 puts the Browns in a really good spot. Maybe they take Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4?

There are no top tier tackles in this draft so I feel that's something they need to address after round 1. Maybe Joe Thomas will change his mind after the draft ;-)

The last thing I want to say is that the Browns wide receivers don't look too bad for 2018. They have Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, a healthy (hopefully) Corey Coleman, and just signed Jeff Janis along with some other young prospects like Rashard Higgins. I don't think they need to draft a receiver early unless there is a good value prospect available.

If I'm Browns owner, I don't want top pick in 2019, 2020, 2021 and every year QB, QB, QB as revolving door of Browns top pick QB's.  As owner, I don't see a Manning or a Luck in this draft. For me to take QB, it would have to be like when John Elway was in the draft.  

Therefore I would be looking to replace Joe Thomas early, but team was 0-16 so has many, many other weak areas.  I don't want 2 picks early in one. Would much rather trade one of those down for more picks. Right now I would be telling all NFL, Who want's the #1 pick in the draft, make me an offer.  If I could get what Mike Ditka offered Bengals one year in rest of all their picks plus round 1 in next few seasons.  That Bengals turned it down wanting either QB Couch or Akili Smith is brainless and proves my point. Take the extra picks. I doubt anybody will ever again offer what Ditka did that year. Still, if I would offer that #1 pick up for grabs, some team is going to bite. Some team is going to offer up picks I need and I still have that other pick in one at 4.   I would love to have more picks in 2 and 3.  I would trade up my late round picks for more in 4 and 5.  I can get undrafted players after the draft as good as 6 and 7.  Give me many picks in 2, 3, 4 and 5, and I'll get the Browns turned around.  I don't want the top pick in the draft every year. That's an honor of shame, not excellence. It's my believe the NFL has proven that there are good veteran QB's that just need a starting chance. NFL proves that every year. I would draft other positions early in 2018. I would love NOT to be drafting high in 2019. That means fans got to see some wins in 2018. Odds are I will be drafting high enough, because I'm not expecting to go from 0-16 to play-offs in one draft, that's just not going to happen. See, if I draft yet another Browns QB, he will be another rookie on another lousy Browns team. Reverse that and build this team up for a QB pick in a draft another year.

Again, I look for Browns to take QB in one, again, like every year. Since this has only been helping the Bengals, I hope they take QB again. No one player is going to turn around 0-16. I would move one of those round one picks down for more picks, and pick 1 would get huge offers. If I can get a 2, 3 and 4 and maybe more, that pick is out of here, gone.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 03:15 AM)kevin Wrote: If I'm Browns owner, I don't want top pick in 2019, 2020, 2021 and every year QB, QB, QB as revolving door of Browns top pick QB's.  As owner, I don't see a Manning or a Luck in this draft. For me to take QB, it would have to be like when John Elway was in the draft.  

Therefore I would be looking to replace Joe Thomas early, but team was 0-16 so has many, many other weak areas.  I don't want 2 picks early in one. Would much rather trade one of those down for more picks. Right now I would be telling all NFL, Who want's the #1 pick in the draft, make me an offer.  If I could get what Mike Ditka offered Bengals one year in rest of all their picks plus round 1 in next few seasons.  That Bengals turned it down wanting either QB Couch or Akili Smith is brainless and proves my point. Take the extra picks. I doubt anybody will ever again offer what Ditka did that year. Still, if I would offer that #1 pick up for grabs, some team is going to bite. Some team is going to offer up picks I need and I still have that other pick in one at 4.   I would love to have more picks in 2 and 3.  I would trade up my late round picks for more in 4 and 5.  I can get undrafted players after the draft as good as 6 and 7.  Give me many picks in 2, 3, 4 and 5, and I'll get the Browns turned around.  I don't want the top pick in the draft every year. That's an honor of shame, not excellence. It's my believe the NFL has proven that there are good veteran QB's that just need a starting chance. NFL proves that every year.  I would draft other positions early in 2018. I would love NOT to be drafting high in 2019. That means fans got to see some wins in 2018. Odds are I will be drafting high enough, because I'm not expecting to go from 0-16 to play-offs in one draft, that's just not going to happen.  See, if I draft yet another Browns QB, he will be another rookie on another lousy Browns team. Reverse that and build this team up for a QB pick in a draft another year.

Again, I look for Browns to take QB in one, again, like every year.  Since this has only been helping the Bengals, I hope they take QB again.  No one player is going to turn around 0-16.  I would move one of those round one picks down for more picks, and pick 1 would get huge offers. If I can get a 2, 3 and 4 and maybe more, that pick is out of here, gone.

Of course they don't want the top pick every year either. I could see them trading down one of those picks I suppose but I don't think trading down is always the answer. You are losing an opportunity at premium talent. The Browns seem to load up on first and second round picks every year and miss on too many of them. This year even if they draft a quarterback in the first round they won't need to play him immediately... that's why they brought in Tyrod Taylor.

Also, the Browns haven't actually taken a QB in the top 5 since 1999 when they drafted Tim Couch. It seems like they draft quarterbacks every year but the quarterbacks they draft actually come later: either later in round one or in the second or third rounds. This year they have the chance to evaluate all the prospects and take their pick rather than taking the leftovers. Plus, this year's draft just doesn't have a Joe Thomas.
Reply/Quote
If I'm the Browns GM, I strongly consider sitting in the running car with the garage door closed. Ninja

Actually, they should draft the new franchise QB, and plan on letting him sit behind Taylor for a season. (ala Palmer behind Kitna) Get the LT, another OL, take a couple skill players. Defensively, go for quality over quantity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What they've done wrong with the QB position, is they've picked the wrong QB. They should take Barkley #1 then hope the QB they take at #4 isn't the wrong choice again.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think they take Barkley 1, Chubb or Nelson 4. Then trade back up into first round with their gaggle of picks and take Lamar Jackson. And quite frankly, that scares me to death.

Reply/Quote
Trading down and not taking a QB is what got Sashi Brown fired. He was ultimately fired because he didn't draft Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson

Reply/Quote
I'm thinking Browns ownership should build a bar in the QB meeting room for their QBs to drown their sorrows with free booze year around.. Quit making those poor QBs pay for their own alcoholism..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
All I know is that being HC of the Browns has to be a tough job. I just saw Hue Jackson on NFLN, and he looks like he's aged 15 years since heading to Cleveland.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If I was the Browns owner I would save money by not having scouts or a GM and just draw names from a hate. Better yet, letter the season ticket holders vote.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 05:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What they've done wrong with the QB position, is they've picked the wrong QB. They should take Barkley #1 then hope the QB they take at #4 isn't the wrong choice again.

LOL, so you think Cleveland will draft 2 QB's in Round 1.   That's funny. Sounds like Cleveland.  Every year a new QB, so this year draft 2 new QBs.  Some fans would think this is a great idea, think QB is the only position on the field because that is what TV shows the most is QB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 05:38 PM)kevin Wrote: LOL, so you think Cleveland will draft 2 QB's in Round 1.   That's funny. Sounds like Cleveland.  Every year a new QB, so this year draft 2 new QBs.  Some fans would think this is a great idea, think QB is the only position on the field because that is what TV shows the most is QB.

Barkley is a running back.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 05:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What they've done wrong with the QB position, is they've picked the wrong QB. They should take Barkley #1 then hope the QB they take at #4 isn't the wrong choice again.

I said the same thing last night.  A lot of people were saying that.

We can debate the relative value of RB's, and some teams certainly are able to plug-n-play backs.  But Barkley is a unique talent, and RB's are a much safer projection than QB's.

Take Barkley, and then sit back and hope you have to settle for your 2nd or 3rd choice at QB (because your first choice has traditionally been a bust).
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
They should have took Barkley first, then either Chubb or Ward with the #4. Then they would have been able to use the 35th pick on another position instead of running back.

No qb can develop in the offense they have anyways. They should ignore the position in the draft and sign or trade for a good veteran later. Tyrod Taylor can field some sort of offense in the mean time. Plus with an improved offense veteran qbs would actually be willing to sign with them. Every 1 to 2 years the new coaching staff feels the need to bring in their guy at qb to start fresh and the organization spends literally decades wasting high pick on bust qbs.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:34 PM)6andcounting Wrote: They should have took Barkley first, then either Chubb or Ward with the #4. Then they would have been able to use the 35th pick on another position instead of running back.

No qb can develop in the offense they have anyways. They should ignore the position in the draft and sign or trade for a good veteran later. Tyrod Taylor can field some sort of offense in the mean time. Plus with an improved offense veteran qbs would actually be willing to sign with them. Every 1 to 2 years the new coaching staff feels the need to bring in their guy at qb to start fresh and the organization spends literally decades wasting high pick on bust qbs.

They could have gone Barkley #1, McGlinchey #4 and then still been able to get Landry on the edge or Jackson at CB at the top of the 2nd. Kaepernick is still out there for the short term or they could have gotten a guy like Rudolph later. 

That would have been sick, but...Browns. 

P.S. That guy in your sig doesn't play for the Bengals any more.

Reply/Quote