Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Were The GM Would You Take This Deal?
Remove Cam Newton and replace him with Shaq Thompson 100% take the deal. You don't need a stud QB( of course you want one) but you do need a stud team. Hell it's like everyone forgets that Ryan Tannehill and Jimmy G are QBs in the Championship game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 12:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: Your the GM for the Bengals and make 100% of the decisions. Would you take this deal with the Panthers in the upcoming draft?

Bengals Get

4 First Round Picks (2020,21,22,23)
2020 2nd round pick
2020 3rd round pick
Cam Newton- QB

Panthers Get

#1 Pick (Joe Burrow)

Would you make this deal happen or pass?

Of course.  It would never happen, but if it did, I'd take it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 04:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Do I get to work out Cam Newton and see if he can pass a physical first?

yes
Reply/Quote
No, picks values degrade the further they are away (Kind of like the time value of money). A pick today is worth more than the pick next year and so on. A 1st round pick in 4 years is worth little to nothing as it won't help you win anytime soon and most the players and coaches here now may not even be here then. In reality if the move is to still get a QB of the future then Cam has little to no value greater than Dalton since Dalton is already up and running on the system.
Reply/Quote
So, the real question is would you take the #7 pick plus 3 mid to low first rounders to trade the #1 overall pick?

My simple answer is no. If we already had a franchise QB, I would make that trade, but no way I would make it this year.
Reply/Quote
Would you trade a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, for those picks? If this kid performs in the NFL like he did his Sr. Year that is exactly who we will get. With our years of first round bust ( Yes Joe Could be one) but so can the rest of our first round picks we receive.
Reply/Quote
Maybe is Miami offered all their first round picks this year, maybe even a 2nd then I would seriously consider the trade simply cause this team has more holes than this draft and lack of FA will provide.
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2
Not a chance. This kid is a once in a generation talent. We are talking (quite possibly) the next Brady/Brees.

If you trade that pick, all the picks you picked up are trash. All those picks will be in the very late 20's -30's.

Basically, all you're getting is 3 somewhat decent picks this year...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 10:06 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2
                  Not a chance. This kid is a once in a generation talent. We are talking (quite possibly) the next Brady/Brees.

If you trade that pick, all the picks you picked up are trash. All those picks will be in the very late 20's -30's.

Basically, all you're getting is 3 somewhat decent picks this year...

Wow.. we are a bit overselling Burrow... and underselling other picks.. you talk about Brady and Brees.. Brady 6th round.. Brees 2nd round.. i don;t you help you cause pointing them out.. I could say Herbert looks like the next Brady..
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 10:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Wow.. we are a bit overselling Burrow... and underselling other picks.. you talk about Brady and Brees.. Brady 6th round.. Brees 2nd round.. i don;t you help you cause pointing them out.. I could say Herbert looks like the next Brady..

WhoDey2 Over selling Burrow? Not a chance. Underselling other picks? nope again. Doesn't matter a rats ass where they were picked, I'm talking about what they have become. Franchise QB's.

You don't trade away a Franchise QB like Burrow for 3 picks

Hey kid, I've got 3 shiny quarters I'll trade for that dirty old $100 bill....
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:52 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Maybe is Miami offered all their first round picks this year, maybe even a 2nd then I would seriously consider the trade simply cause this team has more holes than this draft and lack of FA will provide.

My argument is definitely keep Burrow PLUS sign a top tier FA LB and lineman. Then draft a WR with second or third round pick.

If they are dead set against signing quality free agents ( which is a likely if not a certainty) then I would trade number one for all three of Miami's first round picks plus their number 2 in 2020 and maybe something else in 2021 such as a first or second round.

The o line and LBs have been pathetic the last two years and we have not had a top half LB unit for years and years. 

Drafting Burrow and signing a great LB and o line FA is way more important than giving AJ a multi year contract or franchising him for $18 million given his injury history.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 12:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: Your the GM for the Bengals and make 100% of the decisions. Would you take this deal with the Panthers in the upcoming draft?

Bengals Get

2020 2nd round pick
2020 3rd round pick
Cam Newton- QB

Panthers Get

#1 Pick (Joe Burrow)

Funny Question,

If I was the GM who could make 100% of the decisions, then we wouldn't need this deal to rebuild.
I'd fill holes with quality FA's and set this team up for Burrows.
Reply/Quote

Bengals Get

2020 2nd round pick
2020 3rd round pick
Cam Newton- QB

Panthers Get

#1 Pick (Joe Burrow)

Hard Pass....  Would take 4 years to see all the return on that an in that time We gotta replace cam too.
Reply/Quote
No. I want nothing to do with Cam. I think he's out of the league sooner than later.

The only trade I'd consider is Miami's 3 first rounders plus a second rounder. That kind of offer is getting into godfather territory. You could rebuild with young, cheap talent on both sides of the ball quick, even though the Brown family is too stupid to consider using low cap numbers as a chance to load up on free agents.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:14 PM)samhain Wrote: No.  I want nothing to do with Cam.  I think he's out of the league sooner than later.  

The only trade I'd consider is Miami's 3 first rounders plus a second rounder.  That kind of offer is getting into godfather territory.  You could rebuild with young, cheap talent on both sides of the ball quick, even though the Brown family is too stupid to consider using low cap numbers as a chance to load up on free agents.

Hmm, now would not be a good time for them to change their way of doing things.  As I understand, all monies this year must be accounted for, as the CBA expires.  And, according to the proposed changes in cap management for the new CBA, the league is looking at doing away with much of that frivolous cap manipulation that other teams have been doing for so long.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, now would not be a good time for them to change their way of doing things.  As I understand, all monies this year must be accounted for, as the CBA expires.  And, according to the proposed changes in cap management for the new CBA, the league is looking at doing away with much of that frivolous cap manipulation that other teams have been doing for so long.

I don't quite grasp the no-rollover thing this year.  I'm not sure if it means that teams have to spend all of their rollover money, or if they just pocket what they have left over from previous years.  

I agree that this team has a big opportunity in front of them in terms of FA.  All of the trash in the media about them not building around Burrow or wanting a Super Bowl could be, at least marginally, silenced with a few moves.  They can afford to do it, too.  Whether they will or not is another question. I think it's more likely that they overpay guys that are in house. They're really good at that.  I have doubts until I see it.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:38 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't quite grasp the no-rollover thing this year.  I'm not sure if it means that teams have to spend all of their rollover money, or if they just pocket what they have left over from previous years.  

I agree that this team has a big opportunity in front of them in terms of FA.  All of the trash in the media about them not building around Burrow or wanting a Super Bowl could be, at least marginally, silenced with a few moves.  They can afford to do it, too.  Whether they will or not is another question.   I think it's more likely that they overpay guys that are in house.  They're really good at that.  I have doubts until I see it.

Thinking back to the thread where the CBA and it's prospective changes were discussed, I seem to remember it being interpreted as every team MUST spend all of their rolled over money, as well as account for any and all futures and bonuses this year.  I could be wrong, but that is what I remember of it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 10:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thinking back to the thread where the CBA and it's prospective changes were discussed, I seem to remember it being interpreted as every team MUST spend all of their rolled over money, as well as account for any and all futures and bonuses this year.  I could be wrong, but that is what I remember of it.

If that's the case, it's good and bad.  Every year the cap goes up a few mil.  It will do so again this year.  Compound that with teams being required to spend rollover (if that's the case), and you have a strong likelihood of seeing some mind-blowing contracts being dished out.  Of course, some teams won't be able to play that game if they're cap-heavy, but enough will to skew things.

We do this every year.  Like me, you're somewhat reasonable about FAs.  We're not necessarily asking for Littleton or Conklin.  Trevathan is a guy both of us have mentioned, and he could probably be had for 9 or 10 per.  Easily affordable.  However, what we will likely get is Nick Vigil for 8 mil.  Or Eifert for 10.  This team is good at allocating cap without competing for outside talent.  They won't get into a bidding war that they perceive as leading to an overpay.  They have zero regard for market value.  
Reply/Quote