Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
If Zac Taylor doesn't evolve, Joe Burrow and the Bengals' 2021 season is already over
(10-12-2021, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Missing the most important piece for an offense...  OC
Players are way more important than coaches. 
(10-12-2021, 12:03 PM)northernbengal Wrote: I disagree. It is pretty evident they aren't elevating the talent. In football unless you're Alabama and have a crazy class you're not gonna be able to have studs at every position. Coach in football is all about hiding your weaknesses and flexing your strengths. Having a better IOL would help but there are things they could do to to help them. Also the TE thing is silly. The Rams have been great passing down the field and do not have a great TE.
The exact opposite is true. I don't care how good the coach is if you have crap talent it will eventually haunt you. Especially in pro sports.
(10-12-2021, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And we have a head coach who isn't scheming around the "bad personnel." No misdirection, running empty sets, and continuing to show tendencies on play calling based on formations. 
How are you going to scheme around a terrible offensive line? Especially one that's week in the middle? 
(10-12-2021, 12:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: And this time, it’s personal.

But seriously, we have 3 studs at wr and Joe Mixon at RB, and you’re STILL complaining? The weapons are fine

The rams run their offense without a stud at TE. It’s not necessary. Anyone who starts clamoring for a first round TE should be taken to a day care.

The o-line still stinks
1.)who said we had to draft a TE in the first round? And 2.) Did you miss the part where I was talking about the IOL?
(10-12-2021, 12:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: C.J proved he can make plays, just watch the Jags game. But ZT totally looked over Uzomah in the Packers game. A TE stretch the.field, that would mean
ZT would have actually use a TE on seam or wheel routes. When has he ever done that?

It was one effing game against the effing Jaguars. That's not enough evidence to suggest the guy is a legit NFL starting TE.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Can't imagine Mike fires him with the success he's having. So what's our best case scenario? I imagine he'd have to voluntarily step down as OC, because that's also not something I see ownership mandating. I guess we just hope he grows?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 01:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve never seen the details of his contract, do you have a source for this?

Zac Taylor Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 03:24 PM)J24 Wrote: It was one effing game against the effing Jaguars. That's not enough evidence to suggest the guy is a legit NFL starting TE.

Last time he played a full season as #1 TE he finished 15th in the league among TEs in receptions and 17th in yards.

He has good hands.  Among the 41 active TEs with at least 100 career receptions he is 14th in catch%.

He is a great combination of size and speed.  At 6-6 he is one of the tallest TEs in the league, and he was the second fastest TE at the '15 combine with a 4.62 forty.

I am not saying C J is an elite TE by any stretch, but he is the #1 TE on many NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 03:30 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Can't imagine Mike fires him with the success he's having. So what's our best case scenario? I imagine he'd have to voluntarily step down as OC, because that's also not something I see ownership mandating. I guess we just hope he grows?

the record at the end of the season is more important than starting 3-2
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Zac Taylor Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Wait only 3 years?

That link didnt provide any details not even a picture lol
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the record at the end of the season is more important than starting 3-2

Can’t imagine we finish with less than 7 wins. Mikey would hold onto him
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:33 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Can’t imagine we finish with less than 7 wins. Mikey would hold onto him

7 wins with this much talent would be a damn shame,
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Wait only 3 years?

That link didnt provide any details not even a picture lol

Yeah that's all I could find. That site is usually accurate. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: C.J proved he can make plays, just watch the Jags game. But ZT totally looked over Uzomah in the Packers game. A TE stretch the.field, that would mean
ZT would have actually use a TE on seam or wheel routes. When has he ever done that?

Who throws the ball and calls audibles?? Burrow also needs to use include CJ more..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:33 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Can’t imagine we finish with less than 7 wins. Mikey would hold onto him

History says "No".

It has been thirty years since a Bengal coach returned after 3 losing seasons.  Lewis didn't, LeBeau didn't. Coslett didn't.

Shula was the exception to the rule.  I will never understand why so many fans don't understand this.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 03:30 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Can't imagine Mike fires him with the success he's having. So what's our best case scenario? I imagine he'd have to voluntarily step down as OC, because that's also not something I see ownership mandating. I guess we just hope he grows?

I see 3 options:
1) Taylor is let go at the end of the season - No way Mike Brown lets him go by the bye week unless he doesn't win a game between now and then
2) Taylor stays as HC but gives up playcalling duties next year - Doubt this happens unless Taylor chooses to do it himself.
3) Taylor stays both as HC and playcaller next year - Only way I see this happening is if the team ends up with a winning record and/or the offense jumps into the 10-15 range by season's end

I doubt the light bulb finally turns on for Taylor and he drastically improves, but maybe he will. Heck, Brian Daboll did it. Look how much better his offense is in BUF compared to his CLE days.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last time he played a full season as #1 TE he finished 15th in the league among TEs in receptions and 17th in yards.

He has good hands.  Among the 41 active TEs with at least 100 career receptions he is 14th in catch%.

He is a great combination of size and speed.  At 6-6 he is one of the tallest TEs in the league, and he was the second fastest TE at the '15 combine with a 4.62 forty.

I am not saying C J is an elite TE by any stretch, but he is the #1 TE on many NFL teams.

Good post.   On top of the stats he's got great intangibles.  He's just a mentally tough competitor.   First really blossomed at the end of the 2019 season (if I remember correctly).  Just made one clutch play after another while getting hammered.  Then missed all of 2020 with a tough Achilles injury.  And he's a great teammate with an enlivening sense of humor.

Love this guy.
Reply/Quote
I guess we'll just see how we go into the bye week. If we take care of the Lions and Jets then we get a game against either the Ravens or Browns I'd be content to just see how the season goes. But if the opposite happens and we lose to the Ravens and Browns then also lose to either the Lions or Jets then the team needs to force Taylor to give play calling duties to Callahan. I'd just like to see what we have in him so we don't get stuck with him next year if he sucks and we can just clean house if the season goes south.
Reply/Quote
Uzo is solid. No need to replace him. The play calling and oline need to improve. It’s as simple as that.

If Zac has close to a winning season, I doubt he gets canned. Best we can do is hope he learns from his mistakes and figures things out (I know, depressing). Maybe he can figure things out though. I’d feel more confident in a proven legit OC, but it is what it is.

My biggest fear is we get back to being a decent team, and our mediocre coach holds us back from being a great team. We waste a few years of Zac trying to learn how to coach and by that time it starts falling apart. Maybe he can learn quicker and become a good coach. Seems like the only scenario we can hope for as I don’t see him going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 01:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve never seen the details of his contract, do you have a source for this?

I can't seem to find any accurate details on his contract.

You'd think this is something you could get easily.

Nobody seems to know.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 09:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I can't seem to find any accurate details on his contract.

You'd think this is something you could get easily.

Nobody seems to know.

You know what that means?... Lifetime contract.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last time he played a full season as #1 TE he finished 15th in the league among TEs in receptions and 17th in yards.

He has great size and is pretty athletic. Only reason people don’t realize he is a true starting TE in this league is because we don’t utilize TEs very often, but we see what csn be done when we do utilize.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Against the Jaguars the Bengals ran an excellent wide zone scheme with a balanced attack and play action. That was the offense I expected this week but no the Bengals went shotgun and empty and was extremely pass heavy.

The Bengals had 3 rushing attempts in the first half.

Mixon was injured and GB was shorthanded in the secondary, to be fair.  It seemed kind of obvious to at least try to air it out early.  

FWIW, the offense has not been good from play action this year.  On 37 Dropbacks, Burrow is 20/33 for 262 yards, 2 TD's, 3 Int's, and 4 sacks.  Burrow's Completion % and YPA drop from 75% and 7.9 without play action to only 60.6% and 7.9 and the Pressure Rate increases frim 27.3% to 33.3%.

Against GB, on 9 play action Dropbacks, Burrow was 4 of 8 for 24 yards, 1 INT, and 1 Sack.  Obviously, Mixon being injured affects how teams will respect play action, because no DC respects Perrine.  
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 03:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Players are way more important than coaches. 
The exact opposite is true. I don't care how good the coach is if you have crap talent it will eventually haunt you. Especially in pro sports.
How are you going to scheme around a terrible offensive line? Especially one that's week in the middle? 
1.)who said we had to draft a TE in the first round? And 2.) Did you miss the part where I was talking about the IOL?

It was one effing game against the effing Jaguars. That's not enough evidence to suggest the guy is a legit NFL starting TE.

This team does not have crap talent, if you think that you are silly. The IOL is not great but is workable. And you would use gap scheme so that IOL(Except the puller if there is one) can down block. You could also move the pocket and run screens to help out the IOL. The product on the field is a mix of scheme, execution, and talent. If you do not think scheme can elevate players or have a large impact you haven't watched the Rams and Patriots Superbowl. 

Also from a teambuilding perspective we do not need a tight end. You only need 3 offensive weapons and we look like we have 4. 
Reply/Quote