Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Zac Taylor wins ...
(02-12-2022, 01:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sam might not have won the Super Bowl, but he will always be the most innovative coach, IMHO.  The Ohio River offense...the no-huddle...the "sugar" huddle...there are many others.  He was very innovative and I will always appreciate how much fun his teams were to watch.   

Don't forget that Coslet had a TON to do with that innovation as well Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:42 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: If Zac Taylor wins this NFL Championship --- Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?

Including Paul Brown[as a Bengals coach]
Forrest Gregg -- My favorite
Sam Wyche -- Sad to see him fired[Curse you Mike Brown]
Marvin Lewis -- Most wins everrr, most playoff games, most division crowns.

Since you put in 'as bengals coach', my answer is "yes". 

Part of that yes answer is, expectations going forward. I don't expect the team to fall off a cliff and not be a competitive, playoff winning team in the future.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 01:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Don't forget that Coslet had a TON to do with that innovation as well Wink

True, but as HC, I just loved how Sam put his own ass on the line and didn't care about the conventional styles.  That is VERY anti-Cincinnati.  
Reply/Quote
I dont think so, there is no one that stands out, Sam had super bowl run but only 3 winning seasons out of 8.

Marvin has the wins and playoff appearances but nothing else

Forrest super bowl but short service

Brown started from nothing built a winning team but had Stleeler dynasty in the 70s
Reply/Quote
I think bringing home a Lombardi should automatically put Zac in our Ring of Honor.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Of course it would, outside of Paul Brown himself. Both Gregg and Wyche had bad seasons as well. Who else would even be in contention? Certainly not Marvin, who "did some good things" but never won a playoff game.

As a Bengal Head Coach neither did Paul.

And why would you put Paul ahead of Gregg and Wyche who were AFC Champions, remember as a Bengals coach?  
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Paul Brown is arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the 3 other arguables (BB, Shula, Walsh) came from his tree, so no one will ever surpass, unless Zac wins 7 Superbowls with different personnel, over 2 decades.

Ugg, can't anyone read what I explicitly said as a Bengals coach.

I know that Paul Brown has 7 Championship Titles. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 01:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would say he has a ways to go to reach Paul Brown's status, and the assistant coaches deserved a lot of credit as well, but I DO give him a TON of credit for the culture and the type of guys he helped bring in here.  I love how he played the rookies (where would we be now if guys like Wilson didn't play early and we were still waiting on them to develop?) and I love how much he seems to want to engage the fan base.

He certainly has had a season unlike any other in a long time.  

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 01:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since you put in 'as bengals coach', my answer is "yes". 

Part of that yes answer is, expectations going forward. I don't expect the team to fall off a cliff and not be a competitive, playoff winning team in the future.

Thanks for answering "as a bengals coach". 
Reply/Quote
I don't think it automatically makes him the best we've ever had overall, but it would absolutely, without a doubt make him the best POSTSEASON Bengals head coach we've ever had - in fact, he might already be able to make an argument for that (undefeated so far in playoffs, first ever road win in franchise history, and then repeated it).
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:42 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: If Zac Taylor wins this NFL Championship --- Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?

Forrest Gregg -- My favorite
Sam Wyche -- Sad to see him fired[Curse you Mike Brown]
Marvin Lewis -- Most wins everrr, most playoff games, most division crowns.

It’ll be a discussion worth having during in the offseason when we’re bathing in Super Bowl glory. I’ve dogged Taylor as much as anyone, but the goal is always the Lombardi trophy. If the Bengals win one Zac isn’t going anywhere for a long time.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I suppose the argument comes down to Super Bowl championships won versus a body of work over the course of an entire coaching career. I'll let you guys know my opinion later tonight. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 03:21 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: As a Bengal Head Coach neither did Paul.

And why would you put Paul ahead of Gregg and Wyche who were AFC Champions, remember as a Bengals coach?  

Probably just because he's the founder really. 
Reply/Quote
Interesting, I knew Taylor wasn’t on the final year of his deal from a source earlier this year…but I didn’t know this. Schefter just tweeted he was the lowest paid HC at only 3.75 million per year. I’d expect his extension to nearly double that.
Reply/Quote
I don’t know about ever, but it’ll certainly put him in the conversation. If he continues this improvement and makes more playoffs and even to another bowl then easy. But I wouldn’t argue hard against anyone who thinks he is.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting, I knew Taylor wasn’t on the final year of his deal from a source earlier this year…but I didn’t know this. Schefter just tweeted he was the lowest paid HC at only 3.75 million per year. I’d expect his extension to nearly double that.

Adam is partially wrong. It’s 4 million total compensation. You throw in his suite, cars, health care, country club, etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 01:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since you put in 'as bengals coach', my answer is "yes". 

This has most likely been beat to death in other threads, but if the Front Office/Coaching Staff can successfully navigate this upcoming off season as well as the next one, then I think we could be in for a solid couple of years if not a solid decade.    I think we are in the best position this team has been in for some time for make an extended run for multiple years.    Particularly if they can improve the OLine, add defensive depth and depth overall and - perhaps most importantly - make sure the individuals brought in are great fit into this team and their chemistry.  
Reply/Quote
Super Bowl does not a career make. If they win, does that mean any of the offensive lineman are better than Munoz? Mixon better than Dillon? Eli Apple better than Riley? Record is still very poor. Winning Super Bowl means having the most successful year, but it is only one year.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Bill Walsh,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'll say yes, but check back in with me after his 19th season here.

The NFL outside of Cincy is pretty fickle.  Doug Pederson and won Philly's only SB and he's two teams removed from them already.   

I'll call ZT the best, sure but I feel like Burrow could get a lifetime contact for Dave Shula, too.  
Reply/Quote