Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If corporate tax cuts are permanent....
Why are they just giving out one time bonuses instead of permanent raises?
Maybe they are. I know the tax cuts will help our corporation in the future since we aren't one of the gigantic corporations that can find ways to avoid tax.(I say in the future because we've had a few lean years) People too often just think of the GEs when they talk about corporations.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-26-2018, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why are they just giving out one time bonuses instead of permanent raises?

Because they know the Democrats will eventually get the majority in both houses and raise taxes where they can and/or create new taxes?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-26-2018, 04:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because they know the Democrats will eventually get the majority in both houses and raise taxes where they can and/or create new taxes?

Well they could just give raises that last as long as the tax breaks. 

Could the Dems really repeal a tax cut if it was guaranteed tu cut wages?
(01-26-2018, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Could the Dems really repeal a tax cut if it was guaranteed tu cut wages?

Can and have.  Fairly well documented that tax increases are the real trickle down....

Some companies HAVE given pay raises.  But otherwise let's give this a few years to see what it actually does to the deficit and wages before celebrating or destroying it.  A strong economy creates jobs, which creates competition for workers, which leads to wage increases.  

Wage increase have been stagnant for years, so we'll see.  But I do tend to agree the corporate rates were becoming uncompetitive.  This may unfortunately be a case more of maintaining or avoiding further losses than generating actual growth, and in that scenario both parties will spin the results to their advantage.
--------------------------------------------------------

(01-26-2018, 04:51 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Can and have. 

When?
(01-26-2018, 04:51 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote:  A strong economy creates jobs, which creates competition for workers, which leads to wage increases. 

Wage increase have been stagnant for years, so we'll see.

Our economy was on fire without any tax cuts. 

So why weren't wages increasing before the tax cuts?
I'll add that I was shocked - and very excited - to see a member of Trump's team (can't remember who) talking to the press actually DOWNPLAYING the latest economic news....said they need to increase labor participation and increase wages!!!!

My jaw dropped. You just don't see that. Labor participation was pretty much ignored [and excused] by the Obama administration. All we heard about was the phony employment numbers and touting tepid growth as the "new normal" while patting oneself on the back for avoiding a recession that had pretty much bottomed before he took office.

That's 100% correct. Labor participation and wages should follow economic growth. But those are the two numbers that tell you about the quality and dispersion of that growth - 2.5% CAN be better, or at least more equitable, than 3.5% growth.
--------------------------------------------------------

You better believe CEOs and executives will be getting permanent pay raises.
(01-26-2018, 07:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You better believe CEOs and executives will be getting permanent pay raises.

Stockholders will get 10X as much as employees.

But by far the biggest winners will be all the huge partnerships and LLCs.  The welathiest lawyers, doctors, accountants, and other professionals will all now be in the 20% tax bracket.