Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If im Zac Taylor this is how I call the first drive of the game.
(01-14-2022, 11:38 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Who is saying "throw it constantly"?

??

A lot of people. PFF started the narrative weeks ago that this team shouldn’t run as much as they do, and that Taylor is a bonehead for running it so much, when Burrow and his weapons are the reason this team is good.

But this is the playoffs. Things change. Game plans change. Running in the raiders is the best way to attack the raiders.

The raiders do 2 things. They eliminate deep passes, and they put pressure on the QB.

You counter that by establishing the run, and hitting the intermediate stuff. As the game progresses, shots downfield may open up
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:41 AM)Tony Wrote: I want 35 attempts out of Burrow. The handcuffs have been off since the 2nd Baltimore game. You old school guys are just gonna have to get use to it.  Our offense is set up to air attack more than any team in the league..

The league is match up based. The raiders defense is specifically designed to neutralize downfield passing.

Gameplans always change in the playoffs. We’ve seen run heavy teams become pass heavy, and pass heavy teams go run heavy.

When teams take away another team’s strength, you have to counter some other way
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:45 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: ??

A lot of people. PFF started the narrative weeks ago that this team shouldn’t run as much as they do, and that Taylor is a bonehead for running it so much, when Burrow and his weapons are the reason this team is good.

But this is the playoffs. Things change. Game plans change. Running in the raiders is the best way to attack the raiders.

The raiders do 2 things. They eliminate deep passes, and they put pressure on the QB.

You counter that by establishing the run, and hitting the intermediate stuff. As the game progresses, shots downfield may open up

Burrow and the various weapons are definitely a major reason for the team being as good as it is. The run game stinks, so the passing game has been a major catalyst for the offensive production. I think the Bengals are sitting at a good split, almost identical with Green Bay (both teams are passing the ball 58% of the time) so I'm not sure what PFF article you're referencing, nor can I find one.

In the playoffs, generally the teams with the best QBs advance. If the Raiders go to a two-high shell and give a light box, then yes, run the ball. Take what they give you. Just running the ball without any benefit in an attempt to "establish the run" doesn't do anything. It isn't going to set up any future passing success. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what we're going to do, but I believe after the 1st possession Zac and Brian will see enough of what the Raiders are game planning, for then to come up with scoring opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Burrow and the various weapons are definitely a major reason for the team being as good as it is. The run game stinks, so the passing game has been a major catalyst for the offensive production. I think the Bengals are sitting at a good split, almost identical with Green Bay (both teams are passing the ball 58% of the time)

Yea, and passing the ball 58% of the time isn’t that much in today’s league.

Rodgers is 12th on the year in pass attempts, and Burrow is 15th. So both teams are balanced.

Trying to go pass heavy with deep shots downfield against Vegas isn’t the smartest strategy. I don’t care what PFF says
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yea, and passing the ball 58% of the time isn’t that much in today’s league.

Rodgers is 12th on the year in pass attempts, and Burrow is 15th. So both teams are balanced.

Trying to go pass heavy with deep shots downfield against Vegas isn’t the smartest strategy. I don’t care what PFF says

I'm not disagreeing with you. Balance in today's NFL is significantly different than it was in 2000. This is what I have been saying in this thread, but you took the time to give a thumbs down on my post so for whatever reason you agree with me now but didn't 20 minutes ago. Where I disagree is the Bengals becoming a run first team with a bad running game. Having the balance that we do has gotten us here, and that balance includes letting Burrow rip it because that is where the Bengals are the most dangerous. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:22 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with you. Balance in today's NFL is significantly different than it was in 2000. This is what I have been saying in this thread, but you took the time to give a thumbs down on my post so for whatever reason you agree with me now but didn't 20 minutes ago. Where I disagree is the Bengals becoming a run first team with a bad running game. Having the balance that we do has gotten us here, and that balance includes letting Burrow rip it because that is where the Bengals are the most dangerous. 

A run first team in today’s day and age is basically having an equal amount of rushing attempts vs passing attempts.

A balanced approach in today’s football is like 55/45 pass to run

So when I say run first, I’m thinking 31 passing attempts to 29 or so rushing attempts. And that’s what I believe the bengals will have to play to win against this defense. A bit of ball control
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 10:13 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This team does not need to run first. Also, I've seen a trend where people act like the only way you can wear down a d-line is by running the ball. Pass protection is not passive, those guys go at it. The Bengals running game has been bottom of the league all year and to become a run first team in the playoffs would be an inferior choice. You're giving up possessions to try to 'wear them down'? That doesn't make any sense. You use those possessions to go score points and becoming a run first team doesn't achieve that goal as well as throwing the ball. If Oakland gives Cincinnati a light box, sure, take it, but Cincinnati does not have a good running game and it does not need to be the focus of the gameplan (and it won't be). 

Do I trust Prince to keep Crosby off of him? No, Burrow is going to get sacked. However, putting the ball in Burrow's hands with a bad line vs. putting the ball in Mixon's hands with a bad line is going to yield significantly better results. You keep the ball in Burrow's hands, he is the catalyst. I would fully expect the Bengals to throw the ball >= 60% of the time, unless they build a big lead. 

You act like Mixon never gets a 1st down. He went 123 yards, 4.1 per carry, and scored 2 touchdowns on a field that was complete shit in Vegas. Obviously, if they stack the box, you throw it. But I think they will go with a light box in order to try to neutralize our 3 WRs.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You act like Mixon never gets a 1st down. He went 123 yards, 4.1 per carry, and scored 2 touchdowns on a field that was complete shit in Vegas. Obviously, if they stack the box, you throw it. But I think they will go with a light box in order to try to neutralize our 3 WRs.

4.1 ypc isn’t very good. Bengals averaged 4.0 ypa on the year, and that’s good for 26th in the league.

Mixon’s stats looked really good that game because he had so many attempts
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You act like Mixon never gets a 1st down. He went 123 yards, 4.1 per carry, and scored 2 touchdowns on a field that was complete shit in Vegas. Obviously, if they stack the box, you throw it. But I think they will go with a light box in order to try to neutralize our 3 WRs.

Oh, cut the hyperbole. I say that the Bengals run game stinks because it does. Mixon had a fine game against them last time, but lets not forget that the offense really struggled throughout the game. Before the defense made those late plays, Mixon was averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

There is a stark difference between acting like the run game is completely inept and acting like the run game stinks. One is hyperbole, the other is fact. I hope this is a game where Mixon goes off because if he and Burrow are both playing at the top of their game, then this offense is a nightmare to stop. More often than not, the running game hasn't held up their end of the bargain. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: A run first team in today’s day and age is basically having an equal amount of rushing attempts vs passing attempts.

A balanced approach in today’s football is like 55/45 pass to run

So when I say run first, I’m thinking 31 passing attempts to 29 or so rushing attempts. And that’s what I believe the bengals will have to play to win against this defense. A bit of ball control

This is a fair opinion. I think we have different definitions, but I don't think our opinions are all that different. When I hear or read run first, I think of a genuine run first team where you run more than you pass and it drives me crazy. These offenses do still exist but are much rarer. You think of a run first team to be a slight passing advantage still. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4.1 ypc isn’t very good. Bengals averaged 4.0 ypa on the year, and that’s good for 26th in the league.

Mixon’s stats looked really good that game because he had so many attempts

Uh, #of yards by # of attempts is how you get YPA
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh, #of yards by # of attempts is how you get YPA

You're misunderstanding what he is saying. Mixon's total yardage looked good because he had a high number of attempts. However, 4.1 yards per attempt isn't good. He had 30 carries, you would certainly hope that he had 120+ yards or otherwise that would be a really unfortunate game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh, #of yards by # of attempts is how you get YPA

4.1 isn’t good.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 12:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4.1 isn’t good.

It's enough to move the chains. Look, I'm not saying never throw the ball, but we've proven we can run on Vegas and their DB's are pretty good at what they do. If we were playing a team that was harder to run on, I wouldn't be saying run first. We come out doing nothing but throwing and Crosby and crew injure Burrow because we don't have a starting tackle, you're all going to be complaining we should have run the ball. And remember, tomorrow is not the last playoff game we have to win. We have to play next week as well. And Joe was hobbled at the end of his last game. If we can run it, we need to run it. Obviously if we can't run it, then we need to change it up. It ain't that hard.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:12 AM)kevin Wrote: The game will NOT be won on the first drive of the game.  

Also, why are you afraid of power runs. I like Mixon going forward, not running sideways.  Mixon is a great power back that breaks for big yards going forward, not running sweeps.  The NFL Field is too small for sweeps. It's not Canadian Football. 

All this worry about Crosby, they better worry about Hendrickson and Hubbard.  This game will be WON in the 2nd Half, not the First Half.   The Bengals and Raiders were close at halftime, but the 2nd Half was all Bengals as they won 32 to 13 in Lost Wages, Nevada this season.  McPherson kept Bengals in the game as did the Defense.  Mixon had a great game, especially 2nd half.  Burrow got the hot hand.  Chase and Mixon both scored. Hendrickson made Carr fumble and Hubbard ran it back for another McPherson 3 points.  

Whatever happens on the First Drive, the game will be WON in the 2nd Half.  It may come down to The Final Drive, many NFL Games Do. 

Some of you would have Bengals get away from what got them here, because you are so SCARED and AFRAID of Crosby against Chargers. This is why I'm glad you people are not the Coach.  The Bengals beat Crosby 32 to 13 already.

GO BENGALS 

Tiger Who Dey  Tiger Who Dey Tiger

I agree with the comment about our defense.The Bengals also have some highly skilled defensive players.I think the defense will play a big role in this game.The Raiders OL isn’t very good,with the exception of their LT.I look for the defense to have a good game against this unit.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's enough to move the chains. Look, I'm not saying never throw the ball, but we've proven we can run on Vegas and their DB's are pretty good at what they do. If we were playing a team that was harder to run on, I wouldn't be saying run first. We come out doing nothing but throwing and Crosby and crew injure Burrow because we don't have a starting tackle, you're all going to be complaining we should have run the ball. 

There’s not many teams that are better than the raiders at slowing down the run. They’re 10th ypa

But the bengals are still going to have to commit to the run in this game.

The bengals defense has to do what they did last time. Shut down the raiders offense. Vegas isn’t good at running the ball. So contain their run game

Waller and Renfrow are the 2 players cincy will have to game plan for. Waller when healthy is a top 5 TE
Reply/Quote
First drive of the game? Go route to Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:47 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: These Raiders are coming off 5 days rest in a essentially 5 quarter balls to the wall game. If im ZT im running sweep left, sweep right, WR screen left, WR screen right, short pass to Boyd, rinse repeat all the way down the field for a 15 play+ TD drive. I want these DL and LBs huffin and puffin and feelin that tiredness right away in the frigid cold. Then next drive once they are good and tired we can start playin our normal explosive offense.

I think this would be an optimal way to minimize the edge their front will have on our OL. Should be no prob for our guys most of our starters are coming off 12 full days rest.

If we neutralize Crosby and Ngakwe as much as possible we are in great shape. They can't hang with our balanced attack.

WHO DEY!!

You’re WineEmDineEm, huh?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 03:04 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: You’re WineEmDineEm, huh?

Seen that, too.
Reply/Quote