Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If only there were some way to project that Ced would struggle in the Pros...
(10-26-2017, 04:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ogbuehi was the perfect storm of "why the hell was he a first rounder"

His tape wasn't good.
His technique wasn't good.
He was hurt and couldn't work out fully.

but...

He was the third LT at TAMU in a row who got absurd unjust hype.
He was athletic (wildly overrated trait on the OL)
He had the size
Played in an offense that largely mitigated OL by design.

When you have a small scouting department or buy into college hype...this shit happens around the league.

spot on.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was from his senior year...He also tore his ACL in his Bowl Game before we drafted him. Seemingly we thought we could make him better in the Pros than he was in college:

'The senior moved to left tackle for 2014. He got off to a strong start in the early portion of the year before hitting a slump. Versus Ole Miss, Ogbuehi was beaten for one sack and gave up a critical hit on Kenny Hill that helped result in a 75-yard pick six. Against Mississippi State, Ogbuehi had a disappointing game as he allowed three sacks. The outing against Alabama was the third-straight game in which Ogbuehi played poorly. He gave up two sacks and multiple other pressures and hits on his quarterback to the Crimson Tide.

Ogbuehi suffered a common problem in those sacks: He was getting in position perfectly, but couldn't sustain his blocks. The reason for his failures was a lack of strength. Sources said that Ogbuehi was playing with a back injury that prevented him from lifting weights, thus he was lacking strength. After that rough stretch, Ogbuehi finished the year playing better and moved around between right tackle to left tackle.'

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015cogbuehi.php#ixzz4wcjSjHOb

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015cogbuehi.php#bdqARG3Ty2KVpCHs
Not to mention A&M's history, which is filled with draft busts at the o-line position.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 04:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ogbuehi was the perfect storm of "why the hell was he a first rounder"

His tape wasn't good.

but...

He had the size

When you have a small scouting department or buy into college hype...this shit happens around the league.
Absolutely agree!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 11:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How do you figure that about 2016?

Will Jack: One good game, but does look promising if he avoids the stupid plays.
Boyd: Was a healthy scratch earlier.
Vigil: Looks very meh. Probably backup material, which is not good for a 3rd.
Billings: Hype fail.
Westerman: Inactive even on this horrid OL.
Core: Can't even run routes properly.
Fej: Looks like a decent backup, which is a solid result for a 7th rounder.

That is pretty bleh right there.

WJ3 - has looked good when he's been in. He's super fast, and he covered one of the best if not the best receiver in the game very well.
Boyd - Was great in college. He hasn't done much here. Hopefully he starts producing when he's healthy, but looks like a miss
Vigil - He looks good. He leads the team in tackles. He's fast for a LB. Once he gets a little more strength he will be very good.
Billings - Doesn't look very good right now, but I'm not going to say he's a hype fail until he doesn't do anything next year. Atkins looked meh when he came back from his ACL injury. Maybe Billings isn't fully recovered from his MCL.
Westerman - Like you said, can't start on this horrible OL
Core - Has potential, but hasn't panned out yet
Fej - Good special teams player, and has played great for a 7th rounder

I don't see it as a bleh draft at all. If you count Erickson in that draft class you have 2 starters on defense, 2 starters on ST. Boyd, Core, and Fej are all quality depth players too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't know a thing about Ced until the draft started, just heard the hype. Fisher I had watched a couple of times, wasn't bad until Joey Bosa treated him like his personal "Ho"
during the championship game.
Reply/Quote
Here's a couple of questions I have. I normally don't mind doing the research myself, but I'm about to go to work.

Using the last 10 years, has any other NFL team drafted as many injured first round picks as the Bengals? I don't mean players that went on to be injured, I mean injured when they were drafted. Off the top of my head Gresham (coming off knee surgery), Ogbhuehi (coming off knee surgery), Ross (coming off shoulder surgery or needed shoulder surgery). I feel like I'm missing at least 1 more.

Second question. Has any other team had the injury issues with first round picks like the Bengals have. It could just be me, but it seems that an awful lot of our first rounders get shelved until the following season.

Again, it may just be me, but it seems the Bengals are more willing to draft guys coming off of injury in the first and they seem to get the least out of their first round picks year 1.
Reply/Quote
The more I watch Cedric play the more I think his overall problem is not technic, but lack of heart and drive.. basically, I think he is just a straight up sissy boy
Reply/Quote
Hopefully our new staff can atleast use common sense when drafting. Ced had the SAME ISSUES in college as he did the Pros.
Reply/Quote
And Look Back In Misery Day continues. Awesome. Hey, let's relive the Kimo knee shot. Maybe Greg Cook's shoulder? Not hiring Bill
Walsh? Let's just wallow in it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Well with the draft coming, if there is another prospect with a major injury who gave up a lot of sacks in college that struggles with core strength...maybe we'll stay away from them?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well with the draft coming, if there is another prospect with a major injury who gave up a lot of sacks in college that struggles with core strength...maybe we'll stay away from them?

Dillard reminds me of him. In the senior bowl he looked pretty damn soft to me. But boy he looks really great in shorts n a cut off sweatshirt.
Reply/Quote

His tape wasn't good.

but...

He had the size

Agree
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:11 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This is all on Paul Alexander.

No doubt he was responsible for scouting and picking both of Fisher and Og and he missed on their potential and has not coached them up.

Geez, this is some wishful thinking but I hope you're right.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:13 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dillard reminds me of him.  In the senior bowl he looked pretty damn soft to me.  But boy he looks really great in shorts n a cut off sweatshirt.

I'd stay as far from him as possible.  They need to look at naturally huge OTs that can run block.  That's a league-wide problem, as many college offenses are so pass-oriented (especially at the highest level), that guys like that are much tougher to find than they used to be.  

Plug and play RTs that were big and could run block used to be fairly simple to find. Now it's different.

I don't want any more power forwards playing o-line for this team.  I'd rather get maulers with solid technique that can be taught to pass block.  I personally like Risner and Taylor.  
Reply/Quote
I'm still trying to figure out this magic word "athletic" when it comes to athletes. it seems to me ALL OF THEM are athletic, hence the term athlete. They play sports for a living. They damned well better be athletic be it offensive lineman in the NFL or little girls in gymnastics.. Hell, I was pretty athletic at that age too, but nobody in their right mind would have even thought of paying me to be a professional athlete in any sport except for perhaps track in 9th grade and that's not exactly a high buck profession unless you're an olympic sprinter or something..  I always want to throw something through my monitor when they talk of rookies as being athletic.. Well duh ********.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:20 AM)samhain Wrote: I'd stay as far from him as possible.  They need to look at naturally huge OTs that can run block.  That's a league-wide problem, as many college offenses are so pass-oriented (especially at the highest level), that guys like that are much tougher to find than they used to be.  

Plug and play RTs that were big and could run block used to be fairly simple to find.  Now it's different.  

I don't want any more power forwards playing o-line for this team.  I'd rather get maulers with solid technique that can be taught to pass block.  I personally like Risner and Taylor.  

Ced was a guy who looked like a Tackle if you were casting one for a movie. But, his play never equaled that.

Risner is polarizing. I saw him mocked to us in the 1st Round. I did read that atleast one scout said he should be a 7th Round pick whatever that means. His resume does look pretty solid in that he's a 4 year starter, etc.

In the 2nd or 3rd Round, he'd be a good get.
Reply/Quote