Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the Bengals were serious about winning...
(09-10-2018, 12:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018OT.php

Not a whole lot of good out there on the wire. 

How about a trade for Garry Gilliam, 49ers backup RT?

Going for a top backup is the only realistic option, but the Bengals won't make any deals at this point with a first and second rounder on the bench.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:13 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Going for a top backup is the only realistic option, but the Bengals won't make any deals at this point with a first and second rounder on the bench.

I think they've completely accepted the mistake of Whit & OG ordeal, and have fully admitted he just isn't going to work out. Pretty sure he was a healthy inactive yesterday as well. But the price is probably to high for that during the season. Dealing from a position of weakness doesn't bode well when trying to come to a deal. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Please stop. The Bengals had more than two holes on their offensive line coming into the season. The entire thing was a train wreck. The got Glenn and Price (who even knows if hes good?) which I give them credit for, but they completely ignored one side of the line. 

Like I said, if they were serious about going ALL IN then they would make a move to improve the glaring weakness that this team still has. 

There is this thing called a salary cap. Fixing the entire offensive line (4 spots) was impossible to do with players like Geno and Dunlap needing to be extended. You can only do so much in one year. The biggest problem is that they missed on first and second round tackles in the 2015 draft and have paid severely for it. It's going to take another year to completely recover from that terrible 2015 draft.
Reply/Quote
At the very least, the Bengals should stop running the ball to the right until they find a decent RT

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: At the very least, the Bengals should stop running the ball to the right until they find a decent RT

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You can't just cut off one half of the football field lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:33 PM)Fullrock Wrote: You can't just cut off one half of the football field lol.

Right? Talk about being predictable...

Reply/Quote
Your idea does have some merit, since a sweet enough offer could bring in a quality player. Would you be willing to pay that price though?

I think prudence is best in this situation and actually give the line time to gel. Also the line needs time to get used to Pollack’s approach and he has to get familiar with Lazor’s way.

I don’t think this line is far from being where it needs to be. Maybe Hart went in overconfident and yesterday may be a wake up call that will give Pollack the insights needed to coach him up.

The Ravens will be a test for sure but a win against them will go a long way in getting the line figured out.
Reply/Quote
They have to try Fisher or even Og

Hart was just awful.

Dalton will get killed by Ravens if something is not done.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: like they all want us to believe...if they really had the sense of urgency to win now...then they would trade for a quality offensive lineman.

They would give up a first round pick, trade for a quality offensive lineman, and sure up their main team weakness.

To me, the Bengals showed they were "ALL IN" on Bobby Hart at Right Tackle and on just using an internal Right Guard candidate when they passed on taking an Offensive Lineman with one of their two Third round picks in the last Draft.

Tackle Orlando Brown Jr (now with the Ravens) was on the Board in round 3 as well as Guard/Tackle prospect Chukwma Okorafor (now with the Steelers).

It would be nice to have one of these two O-line guys on the roster right now at say the expense of getting LB Malik Jefferson.

The O-line Developmental Pipeline seemed to be a more Urgent priority than say another Linebacker to develop.

This does not mean the Bengals would have to Start say Orlando or Chukwma right away but to get them on the Path of development.

By the 2019 Draft we they would have had a Solid feel for how Orlando or Chukwma were progressing and may have even gone to the one they may have taken mid 2018 season.

They are now "ALL IN" on Bobby Hart/Redmond WITHOUT a Fresh Blood rookie like Orlando or Chukwma in the Pipeline.

I made a Thread right after the Draft showing my concern about the Bengals not doing this or getting that one extra Mid Round offensive lineman last Draft and I got ripped some for it.

But I stand firm that they should have Invested that one more mid round pick towards the O-line last Draft.

Now it is Bobby Hart/Internal Guard or Bust.   It looks like a Mid season Trade seems unlikely.

P. S. 

I get that neither Orlando or Chukwuma are Starting right now for the Ravens/Steelers, however, they appear to have better players in front of them on those teams than Hart/Redmond. Experience level can keep them on the Bench for a time even behind a Bobby Hart but they have the opportunity to Develop & possibly overtake the Veteran in front of them sooner rather than later at times. They first have to be in the PIPELINE.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:37 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: According to PFF, Bengals gave up 13 pressures yesterday. 10 of them were from Hart/Redmond (5 each).  Bengals gotta try someone else out against Baltimore or those pressure numbers will double.

signing a guy today  he wouldn't be on the field Thursday the only thing you can do is either roll with the line we have

Or give Ob/fisher a shot  
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:43 PM)bengals67 Wrote: They have to try Fisher or even Og

Hart was just awful.

Dalton will get killed by Ravens if something is not done.

We’ve already tried those two, they suck. Hart is going to get more than 1 game. Og got 2 entire seasons (and 2 different positions) ffs. He had his chance.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: To me, the Bengals showed they were "ALL IN" on Bobby Hart at Right Tackle and on just using an internal Right Guard candidate when they passed on taking an Offensive Lineman with one of their two Third round picks in the last Draft.

Tackle Orlando Brown Jr (now with the Ravens) was on the Board in round 3 as well as Guard/Tackle prospect Chukwma Okorafor (now with the Steelers).

It would be nice to have one of these two O-line guys on the roster right now at say the expense of getting LB Malik Jefferson.

The O-line Developmental Pipeline seemed to be a more Urgent priority than say another Linebacker to develop.

This does not mean the Bengals would have to Start say Orlando or Chukwma right away but to get them on the Path of development.

By the 2019 Draft we they would have had a Solid feel for how Orlando or Chukwma were progressing and may have even gone to the one they may have taken mid 2018 season.

They are now "ALL IN" on Bobby Hart/Redmond WITHOUT a Fresh Blood rookie like Orlando or Chukwma in the Pipeline.

I made a Thread right after the Draft showing my concern about the Bengals not doing this or getting that one extra Mid Round offensive lineman last Draft and I got ripped some for it.

But I stand firm that they should have Invested that one more mid round pick towards the O-line last Draft.

Now it is Bobby Hart/Internal Guard or Bust.   It looks like a Mid season Trade seems unlikely.

P. S. 

I get that neither Orlando or Chukwuma are Starting right now for the Ravens/Steelers, however, they appear to have better players in front of them on those teams than Hart/Redmond. Experience level can keep them on the Bench for a time even behind a Bobby Hart but they have the opportunity to Develop & possibly overtake the Veteran in front of them sooner rather than later at times. They first have to be in the PIPELINE.

This poster said it fix now, why did you name 2 guys who are projects for the future? A poster earlier was 100% correct, we missed on a 1st round and a 2nd round OT picks, we are paying it for it now. Our OL was pure crap a year ago, we at least have from center to LT significantly better. We may just need to use a TE or RB to help our RT, other teams are forced to do it as well. It is not the end of the world and statement team is not committed to winning in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 01:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This poster said it fix now, why did you name 2 guys who are projects for the future? A poster earlier was 100% correct, we missed on a 1st round and a 2nd round OT picks, we are paying it for it now. Our OL was pure crap a year ago, we at least have from center to LT significantly better. We may just need to use a TE or RB to help our RT, other teams are forced to do it as well. It is not the end of the world and statement team is not committed to winning in 2018.

The so called future could have possibly been by Mid season this year for either of Orlando or Chukwma given who they would be developing behind. (Hart/Redmond)

They took two solid offseason upgrade attempts with Cordy and Price and had Draft capital with two third round picks last Draft to get at least one Young prospect in the Pipeline on the Right side of the O-line as well but neglected to do so.

Instead they had a Bobby Hart Plan coupled with an In House Guard.

I believe the Bengals are trying to win, however, I would have liked to have seen an infusion of Right Side mid round O-line talent last Draft as INSURANCE to a Bobby Hart Plan of all things.

If 4/5 of the O-line was crap as you say, then that Extra mid round Step should have been taken versus just two steps. (Cordy/Price)

I addressed the Fix it now as being an Unlikely move the Bengals would make.
Reply/Quote
What about Trey Hopkins sliding over to RT. I feel like he has to be better than hart. Already used to playing the right side. Just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:05 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: What really gets me in hindsight is that we could have gotten Duane Brown for relatively cheap in terms of draft compensation.

A mid season trade is improbable. Tackles are a highly valued position. Even a rebuilding team won't give up a quality starter because they're a very important building block. 

A fix is more likely to come internally through gameplanning.

With the bengals it’s unlikely as if we even made a trade the paperwork would get screwed up. I’m still trying to figure out why ced and fisher are so bad we can’t get anything out of them.
Reply/Quote
I have said for weeks there is an O line issue in the NFL. Buffalo has no line, the Giants have very little line, the Texans just lost their RT for the year, the Cowboys have serious issues on the line, the Browns who spent a ton on their line is bad, Seattle has had issues for years on their line. I can go on and on, but people thinking there are quality O line just hanging out there for trade are delusional. We got Cordy Glenn because he was relatively expensive and coming off injury. Make no mistake about it we took a risk on Glenn and it appears it worked out but there have been others who tried similar approaches and it back fired.

Maybe towards the trade deadline an older O linemen on a rebuilding team with an expiring contract could be had, but we are still 6 to 7 weeks away from that.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Our fans have short memories. Our trade for Glenn netted us Price and Glenn (top 5 OT in league). I guess if we were serious we would have all pro OT's (12 million a year each), all pro QB (32 million), All pro DE"s (2) 14 million each). The problem is we would only have enough money for a roster of about 35 using the philosophy.

The Bengals have shown the entire off season they are serious about winning.  I saw it yesterday on player's faces, they want to win and the played to win.

Really, you saw that at the beginning of the game when the team was lethargic? Lets not forget the Colts are a weak team so barely beating them is not exactly an accomplishment. The OL and LB weaknesses spoken about many times here were exposed yesterday but better teams will rip them apart.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:24 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Really, you saw that at the beginning of the game when the team was lethargic? Lets not forget the Colts are a weak team so barely beating them is not exactly an accomplishment. The OL and LB weaknesses spoken about many times here were exposed yesterday but better teams will rip them apart.

ANY road win is a good win in the NFL. Only 4 teams won on the road yesterday.

Was it a perfect performance? Of course not, but I didn't see a lethargic team at all in the first half. Instead I saw a team trying to do too much. Both first half turnovers were a result of that. Dalton should have thrown the ball at Mixon's feet and taken the incompletion, and AJ getting careless with the ball in fighting for extra yards. I thought both sides of the ball settled down the second half as they outscored the Colts 24-7. The offense scored on their final 3 possessions, and the defense made stops when they needed to.

There are definitely some things that need corrected, but a road win in week 1 is no easy task. Take it for what it is, we could be Pittsburgh or New Orleans today, two (by the odds makers) Super Bowl favorites who failed to win games against inferior teams yesterday.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to fix everything on a team in one off season. They've done some things with the o line which we all know about but to replace 4 lineman in one off season with clear improvements just isn't realistic.
Reply/Quote
Go find some o-lineman Belichick cut from his camp.. Guarantee those dudes would be walking the street for two years - he'll pick them up and sign them the week of the AFC championship and they're super bowl caliber. Why can't other teams do it?
Reply/Quote