Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If they play games in empty stadiums...
(04-17-2020, 02:13 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Hey Aussie, I like that!  Sledging!  I'm thinking that it must go above and beyond knocking the ever-loving crap out of somebody, taking it to a new level.  More like bringing down a sledge hammer on top of some poor guy's skull and driving him into the turf like a railroad spike.  I think we should add that term to American football.  As in, "Geno Atkins f*****g sledged Roethlisberger." 
Sorry, Sledging is an Aussie term for trash talking, except we are more subtle and funnier with it than you Americans lol
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 10:47 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Sorry, Sledging is an Aussie term for trash talking, except we are more subtle and funnier with it than you Americans lol

I like that too, but you're going to have to expand the meaning to make it usable in American football.  Maybe it could be one of those words that has two meanings.

sledge, slej, verb
1.  To pound someone's skull so viciously that their feet are driven into the ground like a railroad spike.
     Geno f*****g sledged Roethlisberger.
2.  To trash talk in a subtle and funny manner.
     Geno incurred a penalty for standing over Roethlisberger and sledging him after his original sledge.

I can hear Lap in the postgame: "Our sledge of the game award goes to Geno for his fourth quarter double sledging of Roethlisberger."
Reply/Quote
Would one of you Cincy fellas (though, I imagine this applies to any American city with multiple sports teams) explain to me how the free spending Cincinnati Reds can tempt supporters away from the Bengals? I either read this or it was on the Bengals Booth podcast last week where they said the Bengals free agency dealings were necessary to compete with the Reds for spectators next season. I support Celtic FC (soccer), who are based in Glasgow, Scotland. The city also has a rugby team called the 'Warriors'. However, I couldn't give a shit how much that team, playing that sport, spent on new players, I'm simply not interested in watching them over my team. So, is this down to sports fans in America taking an interest in some or all of their four big sports?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:28 PM)NorthernIrishBengal Wrote: Would one of you Cincy fellas (though, I imagine this applies to any American city with multiple sports teams) explain to me how the free spending Cincinnati Reds can tempt supporters away from the Bengals? I either read this or it was on the Bengals Booth podcast last week where they said the Bengals free agency dealings were necessary to compete with the Reds for spectators next season. I support Celtic FC (soccer), who are based in Glasgow, Scotland. The city also has a rugby team called the 'Warriors'. However, I couldn't give a shit how much that team, playing that sport, spent on new players, I'm simply not interested in watching them over my team. So, is this down to sports fans in America taking an interest in some or all of their four big sports?

Even if the Bengals won a Super Bowl Cincinnati will always be a baseball town first and foremost. It’s just ingrained in the culture here due to having such a storied past.

The Reds already have a much better fan experience, so I guess the Bengals might have felt the need to keep up with them after a big offseason, but I think drafting Joe Burrow, and building up a team around a potential franchise QB on rookie contract was the main reason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:28 PM)NorthernIrishBengal Wrote: Would one of you Cincy fellas (though, I imagine this applies to any American city with multiple sports teams) explain to me how the free spending Cincinnati Reds can tempt supporters away from the Bengals? I either read this or it was on the Bengals Booth podcast last week where they said the Bengals free agency dealings were necessary to compete with the Reds for spectators next season. I support Celtic FC (soccer), who are based in Glasgow, Scotland. The city also has a rugby team called the 'Warriors'. However, I couldn't give a shit how much that team, playing that sport, spent on new players, I'm simply not interested in watching them over my team. So, is this down to sports fans in America taking an interest in some or all of their four big sports?

It is probably the bandwagon supporters that will jump on and support whatever is most successful!
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if the Bengals won a Super Bowl Cincinnati will always be a baseball town first and foremost. It’s just ingrained in the culture here due to having such a storied past.

The Reds already have a much better fan experience, so I guess the Bengals might have felt the need to keep up with them after a big offseason, but I think drafting Joe Burrow, and building up a team around a potential franchise QB on rookie contract was the main reason.

Interesting. I didn't know it was a big baseball city. Saying that, my knowledge of baseball goes as far as Babe Ruth and watching Moneyball about twenty times. So why is that? Are the Reds quite a successful franchise in MLB? 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:26 PM)NorthernIrishBengal Wrote: Interesting. I didn't know it was a big baseball city. Saying that, my knowledge of baseball goes as far as Babe Ruth and watching Moneyball about twenty times. So why is that? Are the Reds quite a successful franchise in MLB? 

We had the first major league team here all the way back in 1865. Our opening day in pretty much a holiday (parade and all), and we had absolutely phenomenal teams in the 70’s that were dubbed the “Big Red Machine” that had some of the best players to ever play the game (Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan). We haven’t won a championship since 1990, but it’ll always be a baseball town. Personally I’m more into football nowadays, but I was crazy about the Reds when I was a kid.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We had the first major league team here all the way back in 1865. Our opening day in pretty much a holiday (parade and all), and we had absolutely phenomenal teams in the 70’s that were dubbed the “Big Red Machine” that had some of the best players to ever play the game (Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan). We haven’t won a championship since 1990, but it’ll always be a baseball town. Personally I’m more into football nowadays, but I was crazy about the Reds when I was a kid.

Ah, so they pre-date the Bengals by about a century lol I suppose that explains it. I don't want to turn this into a baseball thread, but as my question is about stadiums, how can baseball teams fill their stadium if they play 160 odd games a season, especially the ones that are mid-week?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We had the first major league team here all the way back in 1865. Our opening day in pretty much a holiday (parade and all), and we had absolutely phenomenal teams in the 70’s that were dubbed the “Big Red Machine” that had some of the best players to ever play the game (Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan). We haven’t won a championship since 1990, but it’ll always be a baseball town. Personally I’m more into football nowadays, but I was crazy about the Reds when I was a kid.

I've never wanted to watch the Reds so bad in my life as I do right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:01 PM)NorthernIrishBengal Wrote: Ah, so they pre-date the Bengals by about a century lol I suppose that explains it. I don't want to turn this into a baseball thread, but as my question is about stadiums, how can baseball teams fill their stadium if they play 160 odd games a season, especially the ones that are mid-week?

Smaller capacity (our baseball stadium holds about 20k less than PBS), cheaper tickets, more of a family friendly atmosphere, etc. It’s big in the summer.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Smaller capacity (our baseball stadium holds about 20k less than PBS), cheaper tickets, more of a family friendly atmosphere, etc. It’s big in the summer.

So, correct me, if I'm wrong, on my assumption on average ticket costs for both Cincinnati teams:

Capacity x avg. ticket price x number of home games a season = income from ticket sales.

Bengals - 65,535 x 60 x 8 = $31,456,800
Reds - 42,319 x 30 x 81 = $102,835,170

Seems like baseball teams have their heads screwed on with their finances. No wonder they play so many games $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:01 PM)NorthernIrishBengal Wrote: Ah, so they pre-date the Bengals by about a century lol I suppose that explains it. I don't want to turn this into a baseball thread, but as my question is about stadiums, how can baseball teams fill their stadium if they play 160 odd games a season, especially the ones that are mid-week?

Very few MLB teams fill their stadiums consistently. 81 home games is a lot. Baseball is actually in a downward trend in terms of attendance numbers and last year in particular stadiums on average were only 66% full. It’s a whole different ballgame so to be speak compared to NFL attendance, no pun intended.
Reply/Quote