Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we draft a TE, who do you want and when?
(03-24-2023, 03:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't be devastated if we take Mayer because I do think he'd legitimately upgrade our offense and I think he'd help in a lot of facets of the game. I feel the same way about Jahmyr Gibbs or Bijan Robinson. They're all very talented players and would make our team noticeably better in 2023 and beyond. If we do draft him, I hope you're right that he's an elite prospect that turns into a top 10 TE in the NFL. 

In fact, with how this tight end market has ended up, I think it's likely we take one of the 4 if they are there at 28. So I should probably get used to the idea now Big Grin 

You're welcome ThumbsUp

Hilarious

I doubt Gibbs or Robinson is there at 28, but yeah I'd like either of those, even though I think the running back has been so devalued in the NFL.

Having said that, I remember mid-game when Burrow was telling Mixon that "if we can run the ball like that, no one can beat us."

I think Mayer or either of those two would take our defense to another level.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't see that happening, if he's there at #28 and the Bengals want to give Joe Burrow the ultimate security blanket, you take him then or trade back a few spots for an additional pick.  Personally, I feel that once Washington is the featured TE in an offense, he's going to win every contested catch thrown his way, particularly down the sidelines or in the endzone for the next 10-12 years.  Oh, have you heard about his contributions in the blocking aspect of the game?

Getting me excited about Darnell Washington there Sunset. He would help immediately as a blocker for damn sure and that is what
we need around here more than anything. Darnell becomes the featured TE if we draft him, if he becomes the next great contested 
catch TE that is just gravy honestly and with his size, hands, athleticism it isn't out of the question.

Warming up to this guy for sure.

Even if I want a RT early, we might already think Carman will beat out whoever we draft, who knows?

(03-24-2023, 03:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't be devastated if we take Mayer because I do think he'd legitimately upgrade our offense and I think he'd help in a lot of facets of the game. I feel the same way about Jahmyr Gibbs or Bijan Robinson. They're all very talented players and would make our team noticeably better in 2023 and beyond. If we do draft him, I hope you're right that he's an elite prospect that turns into a top 10 TE in the NFL. 

In fact, with how this tight end market has ended up, I think it's likely we take one of the 4 if they are there at 28. So I should probably get used to the idea now Big Grin

Yeah, Mayer WILL contribute as a rookie for us if we Draft him barring injuries. He will be an upgrade over what we have by far.

Bijan or Gibbs would also be upgrades over anyone we have in the RB room, especially Bijan who is a good pass blocker to boot.

The Bengals have also talked to all the top TE's and RB's more than any other positions.

Have to prepare ourselves for one of them early in this draft and hope RT gets taken care of by Carman or someone else.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't see that happening, if he's there at #28 and the Bengals want to give Joe Burrow the ultimate security blanket, you take him then or trade back a few spots for an additional pick.  Personally, I feel that once Washington is the featured TE in an offense, he's going to win every contested catch thrown his way, particularly down the sidelines or in the endzone for the next 10-12 years.  Oh, have you heard about his contributions in the blocking aspect of the game?

I have Washington hunger big time.  Honestly I want him, a RB like Spears and Hunter Loepke in the 4th round.   Those three are all really good receivers.   You run Washington across the formation, have him take a sharp cut up the middle behind Karas and Cappa, run Loepke like a freight train behind them.  Then all three can take a pass or Spears can run wild in the secondary with his elite contact balance, cutting ability, acceleration and want to.

Between those guys, Burrow and our receivers, who is going to stop us?

Commencing to drool copiously
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope they are not using a top 28 selection on a TE but if they are I sure as hell hope it is Washington who may have the highest ceiling of any TE in the draft.
Reply/Quote
There’s 3 TEs i think fit the value at 28.

Either one is fine, with an obvious nod to Mayer.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 04:34 PM)3wt Wrote: I have Washington hunger big time.  Honestly I want him, a RB like Spears and Hunter Loepke in the 4th round.   Those three are all really good receivers.   You run Washington across the formation, have him take a sharp cut up the middle behind Karas and Cappa, run Loepke like a freight train behind them.  Then all three can take a pass or Spears can run wild in the secondary with his elite contact balance, cutting ability, acceleration and want to.

Between those guys, Burrow and our receivers, who is going to stop us?

Commencing to drool copiously

Rock On

Great scenario! I love the idea of getting Washington. His blocking alone would be huge, but he has shown the ability to catch and he is a mismatch as a receiving threat. I would love to have a big mauler of a TE blocking for Burrow in the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
If we double dip I’ll take Kincaid/Kuntz. If only one then I hope it’s Mayer. We don’t have a shot at Mayer/Kincaid in 2. May not even fall to us in the first. But we really need to fix this damn line once and for all.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 02:37 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we could come away with Whyle and Kuntz in the 4th-6th rounds range I would be pretty happy.

Ideally it’s Dawand Jones in the first and Darnell Washington in the 2nd to give us the biggest scariest group possible.

Would be happy with this outcome. Although believe if the Bengals wait until the 4th and the 6th rounds to go after a TE it will broadcast their plans and teams will trade up and snatch them right from under their noses. 

Believe one could be taken late if going for 2.  Yet better grab one in the first 3 rounds if not wanting to get left holding an empty bag or scraping the bottom of the barrel imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy if they used round 1 on a different position that TE and somehow ended up with two of the following in later rounds:

5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
6. Tucker Kraft, South Dakota St.
7. Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan
8. Josh Whyle, University of Cincinnati
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 10:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would be happy with this outcome. Although believe if the Bengals wait until the 4th and the 6th rounds to go after a TE it will broadcast their plans and teams will trade up and snatch them right from under their noses. 

Believe one could be taken late if going for 2.  Yet better grab one in the first 3 rounds if not wanting to get left holding an empty bag or scraping the bottom of the barrel imo.

Yes, if we wait on TE, I hope it is only until the 3rd round. But if we come out with Whyle and Kuntz it doesn't matter.

Both have crazy upside.

(03-31-2023, 11:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd be happy if they used round 1 on a different position that TE and somehow ended up with two of the following in later rounds:

5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa

I also like all these guys. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 11:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd be happy if they used round 1 on a different position that TE and somehow ended up with two of the following in later rounds:

5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa

I like 5 and 6..
Reply/Quote
I'd like Mayer but the thought of how explosive our offense would be with Washington does get me excited.

You can't cover him one-on-one but then you also can't leave Chase single-covered, and then who's left to cover Higgins and even Boyd?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 08:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd like Mayer but the thought of how explosive our offense would be with Washington does get me excited.

You can't cover him one-on-one but then you also can't leave Chase single-covered, and then who's left to cover Higgins and even Boyd?

Glad you are warming up to Washington. Seriously, him being the #1 TE could be all that he needs to take football by storm.

He just needs to work on his routes in Receiving, he ran the same route tree as the #1 at Georgia, he was just the main blocker.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 01:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Glad you are warming up to Washington. Seriously, him being the #1 TE could be all that he needs to take football by storm.

He just needs to work on his routes in Receiving, he ran the same route tree as the #1 at Georgia, he was just the main blocker.

Yeah, the reason why I'm still cautious is because of that: I want our tight end to be a sure thing with routes and be a safety outlet and the #1 option for Burrow a lot where he'll be right where Burrow needs him to be. I want Burrow to come off his first or second read and then just be able to fire the ball into the tight end. That's why I want(ed) Mayer more: he's more reliable, which is important, especially with our line still possibly being a weakness (even if it's much-improved). 

Hopefully, he's working on his routes and becoming more of a traditional tight end while also keeping his big play ability because, like you said, I think our offense would be unstoppable and very explosive. 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, the reason why I'm still cautious is because of that: I want our tight end to be a sure thing with routes and be a safety outlet and the #1 option for Burrow a lot where he'll be right where Burrow needs him to be. I want Burrow to come off his first or second read and then just be able to fire the ball into the tight end. That's why I want(ed) Mayer more: he's more reliable, which is important, especially with our line still possibly being a weakness (even if it's much-improved). 

Hopefully, he's working on his routes and becoming more of a traditional tight end while also keeping his big play ability because, like you said, I think our offense would be unstoppable and very explosive. 

Agree, definitely understand the more sure thing as far as a pass catcher in Mayer. Washington would help out the OL more as a blocker
though, he is a fantastic blocker, maybe the best to come out at TE in at least 5 or so years. So big and strong with perfect technique.

I am good either way if we pick one of these guys in the first or trade back and grab one of them which would be ideal IMO.
Reply/Quote
I feel like Washington will be like marcedes lewis. Lewis has had a long career, but is that who we want to take in the first?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I feel like Washington will be like marcedes lewis.  Lewis has had a long career, but is that who we want to take in the first?

Was Mercedes a dominant blocker in college like Darnell? Did he have the longest wingspan of all TE's at the time? Did he have the next 
best TE play in front of him like Brock Bowers in the SEC? Have a hard time seeing that be Darnell Washington's comparison...
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was Mercedes a dominant blocker in college like Darnell? Did he have the longest wingspan of all TE's at the time? Did he have the next 
best TE play in front of him like Brock Bowers in the SEC? Have a hard time seeing that be Darnell Washington's comparison...

Actually it's a pretty good comp IMO as Mercedes was/is still a top blocking TE and also has the ability to make plays in the passing game.

His athletic profile is a whole different story as Washington brings some things that we haven't seen in awhile.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 07:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Actually it's a pretty good comp IMO as Mercedes was/is still a top blocking TE and also has the ability to make plays in the passing game.

His athletic profile is a whole different story as Washington brings some things that we haven't seen in awhile.  

Cool, didn't know that about Mercedes and his blocking. Mellow

Really like Darnell Washington's upside though, I think he could be special if used right as the #1 TE in an Offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was Mercedes a dominant blocker in college like Darnell? Did he have the longest wingspan of all TE's at the time? Did he have the next 

I hear you on all the upside in the world. It might pan out, I just don’t see us helping us all that much the next two years… before burrows contract fully kicks in. this kid is going to take time to develop.

Dalton Kincaid would likely make more impact. If we are drafting him to help block, just get a tackle and solve the root issue. Hell at that point just run 6 man lines.

An impact DL OR CB would likely pay dividends this year.
Reply/Quote