Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we had picked Sewell
I got to wondering, so I looked up the draft order. Had we picked Sewell in the 1st round and taken a WR in the 2nd, instead of taking a WR in the first and O line in the 2nd. Instead of having Chase and Carman, if we went in the same order we would have Sewell and most likely Rondale Moore (Cardinals-1st WR taking in the 2nd after we would have picked at #5, also the 1st WR taken after Carman) I haven't watched Moore play, obviously he is no Ja'Marr Chase. And whether Sewell would be a better RG than Carman in debatable as well. Of course, there's nothing saying we would have gone WR in the 2nd, I just thought it was interesting to look at what if.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold we would have went wideout at all this draft honestly. Chase was the best player available talent wise (maybe Pitts), and he had his connection with Burrow which helped, but if he wasn't in this draft, would we have really thought wideout was a need specifically early in the draft? We did just invest a top 2nd round pick on one in 2020 that flashed wr1 skills (and was supposed to be Burrow's right hand man and the wideout he grew through his career with).

I have a feeling if we didn't go Chase, we probably wouldn't have went wideout until very late in the draft if at all. I can't remember come years end 2020 if we thought wideout was a significant need, or just recognized Chase was a top tier talent and with his relationship with Burrow made him a real option to be selected at 5.

Maybe would have grabbed a top defensive talent at the top of round 2 (obviously not knowing Ossai would be available in round 3), or not trading and getting the extra picks in round 4 which would have left us with a need at DE (or DT) if we wanted to double up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If we didn't take Chase I assume the Dolphins still would have taken Waddle so maybe Chase ends up in Detroit. Got to wonder what he'd be doing with Goff throwing the ball to him.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we didn't take Chase I assume the Dolphins still would have taken Waddle so maybe Chase ends up in Detroit.  Got to wonder what he'd be doing with Goff throwing the ball to him.

Maybe someone would have traded up with the Dolphins to get him? Was it Detroit who was interested? in trading up to 4 for him? I feel like there was a rumor someone was.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I got to wondering, so I looked up the draft order. Had we picked Sewell in the 1st round and taken a WR in the 2nd, instead of taking a WR in the first and O line in the 2nd. Instead of having Chase and Carman, if we went in the same order we would have Sewell and most likely Rondale Moore (Cardinals-1st WR taking in the 2nd after we would have picked at #5, also the 1st WR taken after Carman) I haven't watched Moore play, obviously he is no Ja'Marr Chase. And whether Sewell would be a better RG than Carman in debatable as well. Of course, there's nothing saying we would have gone WR in the 2nd, I just thought it was interesting to look at what if.

I said they should have Sewell play guard his first couple years before moving to left tackle. Jonah Williams is emerging as the LT of the future so who knows what they do if they drafted Sewell.

And Moore is having a nice rookie season, but he’s not Chase.

Either way, I wished we could gave drafted Humphrey. I as super high on him and Im looking more and more right about him each week.
Reply/Quote
I wanted Chase once I read more on both of them.. There were certain defenses Sewell just struggled too much with in college whereas Chase struggled with nobody. To the contrary everyone else struggled with Chase. In my mind it was Chase all the way once it became clear.. From what I can tell at this point Carman was the better Olineman in retrospect..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: I wanted Chase once I read more on both of them.. There were certain defenses Sewell just struggled too much with in college whereas Chase struggled with nobody. To the contrary everyone else struggled with Chase. In my mind it was Chase all the way once it became clear.. From what I can tell at this point Carman was the better Olineman in retrospect..

I was all in on Chase too and stood by it in my posts predraft, and in the threads that had the pitchforks out during preseason after the selection.  I admittedly wasn't super high on Carman, as I had looked at him as a tackle prospect and warmed up to the pick after hearing of the move to guard (credit to Nate for being in on Carman well before he was picked here).    Other than Chase at 5, I wasn't super high on a lot of the other prospects in regards to fitting what we needed.   I did like Dyami Brown and Elijah Moore (even though probably not as good a fit either).  Regarding Sewell, I think he will end up being a very good pro, but felt Chase was a better pick, prospect, and gave us most potential for immediate return.   
Reply/Quote
Why is this fan base so obsessed with looking back, and creating hypotheticals?

We have a 1st place team, and we took the right guy at #5. Let. It. Go.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:18 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: I was all in on Chase too  and stood by it in my posts predraft, and in the threads that had the pitchforks out during preseason after the selection.  I admittedly wasn't super high on Carman, as I had looked at him as a tackle prospect and warmed up to the pick after hearing of the move to guard (credit to Nate for being in on Carman well before he was picked here).    Other than Chase at 5, I wasn't super high on a lot of the other prospects in regards to fitting what we needed.   I did like Dyami Brown and Elijah Moore (even though probably not as good a fit either).  Regarding Sewell, I think he will end up being a very good pro, but felt Chase was a better pick, prospect, and gave us most potential for immediate return.   

I don't watch a lot of college football so most of the picks were new names to me on draft day with the exception of Chase who I did see with Burrow in the championship game where they just destroyed Clemson like they were playing a high school team. That was such an easy pick even Mike Brown couldn't have fluxed it up even with wet dream destruction cream in hand before bedtime. Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we didn't take Chase I assume the Dolphins still would have taken Waddle so maybe Chase ends up in Detroit.  Got to wonder what he'd be doing with Goff throwing the ball to him.

less
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is this fan base so obsessed with looking back, and creating hypotheticals?

This isn't a looking back and told you so thread. I just thought it would be interesting to see how it might have played out. Of course, this is assuming no trades and teams going BPA and no way to know if we would have gone WR. It's just an exercise in what ifs. You don't have to participate.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is this fan base so obsessed with looking back, and creating hypotheticals?

It's not our fanbase.  It's human nature.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals would have been improved but still under
.500. The energy and buzz around PBS we are feeling.now
That is generated by Chase and a emerging defense
Would not be existant.
Sewell while he could have been a upgrade doesnt
Infuse electricity.
The Bengals would have drafted a Dynami Brown or
Anthony Schwartz.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I got to wondering, so I looked up the draft order. Had we picked Sewell in the 1st round and taken a WR in the 2nd, instead of taking a WR in the first and O line in the 2nd. Instead of having Chase and Carman, if we went in the same order we would have Sewell and most likely Rondale Moore (Cardinals-1st WR taking in the 2nd after we would have picked at #5, also the 1st WR taken after Carman) I haven't watched Moore play, obviously he is no Ja'Marr Chase. And whether Sewell would be a better RG than Carman in debatable as well. Of course, there's nothing saying we would have gone WR in the 2nd, I just thought it was interesting to look at what if.

But with Burrow do we need a WR the caliber of chase?  if elite QBs raise everyone else.

Will say without chase we are NOT 5-2 right now
Reply/Quote
Sewell and Moore would have been nice and Rondale played High School ball 2 miles from me. He begged to go to Louisville and they foolishly said they would only take him if Tutu Atwell did not sign, but Atwell signed and had a great career here. But can only imagine if UofL would have had Atwell and the local product Moore together for 3 years.

Anyway, Moore is good but is definitely not as dynamic as Chase.

Wish we could have upgraded the O-line a little better but am positive the Bengals did the right thing by drafting Chase.

With Chase and Burrow's already great friends they became the "Bengals Dynamic Duo" overnight seemingly.

Close game, down a few, throw up the Bat signal and let the caped crusaders come to the rescue.

But really think we need to upgrade O-line still in offseason so Burrow stays alive long enough to deliver Bengals to the promised land.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4
Reply/Quote

I was just thinking about this last week…I definitely feel we got the better of the combo with Chase and Carman. Plus if we wait until 2 to go WR everyone knows we’re going WR which wasn’t nearly as deep in round 2 as OL so teams may have jumped ahead of us if they wanted a WR
Reply/Quote

It's almost like the inverse of the Steelers' fan base.  They live in the past celebrating their successes and we live in the past lamenting our failures.  Both should be looking forward, us to coming Super Bowl victories and them to the basement.
Reply/Quote

I'm just happy the Bengals are on the better side of one of these "what if" threads. So many times it's been "what if" we'd taken the guy who turned out to be a stud while we were left with ho-hum.

Just look back at 2017 when Mike Brown and Tobin overruled Marvin and took John Ross while Lattimore and Mahommes were on the board.

Reply/Quote

You wouldn’t hear his name much. The reason you do now is because Borrow/Chase know what the others thinking. They have the timing already down and already know how to compliment each other if a play goes awry.

Reply/Quote