Poll: Who should the Bengals try to get back?
This poll is closed.
Perine
38.46%
25 38.46%
Bell
36.92%
24 36.92%
Hurst
24.62%
16 24.62%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If you can choose just 1
(10-13-2023, 05:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No offense, but what would Perine really bring to boost the run game at this point?

He's not exactly an explosive player to create beyond what the OL is opening.

If you want to try boosting the run game, maybe try to give the other guys more snaps to give Mixon a bit of a breather.
They only have received 8 carries, which is less than 9% of the RB carries.
They are averaging 4.25 YPC among the backups in those 8 carries.
Mixon is averaging 3.9 YPC.

Thank you so much… Perine is JAG (just a guy). He does some things well, but he is in no way going to be “the guy” to take your team on a run late in the season. Is he better than what we have? Maybe… but I don’t think we have seen enough to determine either way. I surely don’t think Perine is worth giving a pick for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 05:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Thank you so much… Perine is JAG (just a guy).  He does some things well, but he is in no way going to be “the guy” to take your team on a run late in the season.  Is he better than what we have? Maybe… but I don’t think we have seen enough to determine either way.  I surely don’t think Perine is worth giving a pick for.

Exactly.

I was on board with keeping him in the offseason, as I do think he's ok at what he does, but he's also limited in some aspects.

I would have kept Perine over Williams or Evans.
But at this point, let's try both those guys and see how they do with more opportunity.

Heck with the Broncos already starting to release talent due to their record, we might see Perine back soon anyway...only without giving up any picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I sometimes get my safeties mixed up. If Bell is coming back for Scott then Bell all the way, but he’d be replacing Hill right? If that’s the case I get Hurst. Perine left because he’d get more carries. How’s that working out?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
!A Bell
1B Hurst
3 Perine
Reply/Quote
Ring the Bell!

Until Battle or Tycen Anderson are ready IMO.

Perine would help in pass pro though and Hurst is better than what we have so far. But I vote for Vonn all the way.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 05:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No offense, but what would Perine really bring to boost the run game at this point?

He's not exactly an explosive player to create beyond what the OL is opening.

If you want to try boosting the run game, maybe try to give the other guys more snaps to give Mixon a bit of a breather.
They only have received 8 carries, which is less than 9% of the RB carries.
They are averaging 4.25 YPC among the backups in those 8 carries.
Mixon is averaging 3.9 YPC.

No offense taken. It's a fair question. I feel like the coaching staff just doesn't trust the back ups and Perine would be trusted to spell Mixon immediately. Plus, I love that stiff arm!
Reply/Quote
Out of those three Perine just because his contract is most affordable.

As much as I like Bell we have three guys that do similar things to him in Hill, Battle, and Anderson. The bigger loss of the safties was Bates.

Hust has a 10 Million dollar cap hit next season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It's really Perine and no one else for one reason. If we lose Mixon to injury, we have no proven RB.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 07:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I sometimes get my safeties mixed up. If Bell is coming back for Scott then Bell all the way, but he’d be replacing Hill right?  If that’s the case I get Hurst. Perine left because he’d get more carries. How’s that working out?

No, Bell is a strong safety. He would replace Scott. Hill took the free safety spot Bates had. Right now, Battle is the future at SS
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, Bell is a strong safety. He would replace Scott. Hill took the free safety spot Bates had. Right now, Battle is the future at SS

For some reason I was thinking Scott was the free. But that’s this week. I always knew Bell and Bates, but this year my mind is all twisted. In that case it’s not even a question. And the thing is, Bell didn’t get some ridiculous contract.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, Bell is a strong safety. He would replace Scott. Hill took the free safety spot Bates had. Right now, Battle is the future at SS

I feel llike Hill is versatile enough that he could mostly play where needed. Through our first 3 games he only played 55% of his snaps at FS compared to 70% for Bates last year. Maybe that number has increased more over the past 2 games but I think his athleticism let's them use him in different spots a bit more. 
Reply/Quote
Voted Perine. We have no one behind Mixon. I thought Trayveon looked unsure of himself even before last week. For some reason Evans has fallen out of favor with the coaches and I have to trust them on that front. Chase Brown is a rookie and I want to give him time to grow, but I never liked the pick to begin with and he's shown virtually nothing to date. We will always run a pass-heavy offense but if Mixon goes down it'll be that much harder to get our game off.

To be sure, I'm not comfortable with the other two positions either but the lack of depth at RB is more striking imo.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: For some reason I was thinking Scott was the free. But that’s this week. I always knew Bell and Bates, but this year my mind is all twisted.  In that case  it’s not even a question. And the thing is, Bell didn’t get some ridiculous contract.

Probably because he was another one of those "he was terrible last year because he wasn't in his natural position, not because he's bad" players. Played FS for the Rams in 2022, was terrible, but played SS during the playoffs for the Rams SB win in the 2021 season.

- - - - - -

As for the poll, I feel like Bell is the answer here. The defense is not good, the run defense is particularly putrid. Swapping out Scott for Bell can only help there.

Perine is a 28-year-old RB going at 3.7ypc, and he's declined his YPC pretty sharply each of the last 3 years. He's also lost a fumble in each of the last 2 weeks despite only touching the ball 12 times.

TE is a huge need, but Hurst isn't doing much. His yards per catch has dropped again, the 5th year in a row. His yards after the catch per reception has dropped again, the 5th year in a row. I really think he's just kind of burning out. Same reason I didn't want to keep him in FA when I knew he would get paid a decent amount. (Though I expected them to sign or draft someone better than Irv Smith Jr to replace him.)

I'm actually shocked there were so many Perine votes.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Perine is the most overrated Bengal to leave this team since Uzomah.

Wait that wasn't that long ago. Anyway both were overrated.

I get why everyone loves them and I did to but we act they had way more production then they actually had.
Reply/Quote
Perine. Help him escape Denver. Also, he would be a better RB blocker than any we currently have and anyone that gets Burrow more time is a good thing.

One question though. If we trade for a player and use them, could we still get the comp pick for them?

Reply/Quote
Voted Perine. I liked him in Cincy. Good backup RB.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 08:05 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Perine. Help him escape Denver. Also, he would be a better RB blocker than any we currently have and anyone that gets Burrow more time is a good thing.

One question though. If we trade for a player and use them, could we still get the comp pick for them?

Not sure about the same season, but I seem to remember something similar about Michael Johnson. Seems he went to TB, we got a comp after the season, TB cut him, we picked him up for the next season 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 09:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure about the same season, but I seem to remember something similar about Michael Johnson. Seems he went to TB, we got a comp after the season, TB cut him, we picked him up for the next season 

I thought you didn't get comps for 3rd contracts? 
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 09:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: I thought you didn't get comps for 3rd contracts? 

As I said, I'm not sure, but TB signed MJ after his rookie contract
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 09:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said, I'm not sure, but TB signed MJ after his rookie contract

No I know you didn't say we would get comp picks. I thought you might know for sure. I feel like I've heard them talk about on podcasts that you don't get one for 3rd contracts but I'm not super versed on how they determine comp picks. 
Reply/Quote