Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could change one play...
Hey guys, I saw an interesting tweet on the NFL ESPN account that asked the following question: if you could change one play in your team's history, what would it be and why?

I'm just curious, which play would you guys change?

(Sorry if this message board has a 50-post rule like the old one!)
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote
That dropped INT that would have (in near certainty) won the 1988 Super Bowl, is a good start. The 05 playoff debacle works, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That dropped INT that would have (in near certainty) won the 1988 Super Bowl, is a good start.  The 05 playoff debacle works, too.

Yep, both are definately number one and two.  However, Carson's injury could've come later in the game as the Steelers are not winning that game with him still playing.  They'd have tore his head off if that's what it took to win.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That dropped INT that would have (in near certainty) won the 1988 Super Bowl, is a good start.  

It was still early in the fourth quarter, but it would have made a huge difference.  We were up by a td and it would have kept the Niners from tying the game on the next play.

In '81 if Pete Johnson scores from the one on 4th down it would have been a 20-14 game going into the 4th quarter (where we outscored the Niners 14-6), but both teams would have played it differently if the score had been different,  So their is no guarantee we win 28-26.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton missing AJ green by this much against Houston in the 2012 playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That dropped INT that would have (in near certainty) won the 1988 Super Bowl, is a good start.  The 05 playoff debacle works, too.

Those are the first two that came to my mind. Only thing is, the int came early in the 4th so its still possible that the bengals go 3 and out and montana drives them down for 6 anyway. Carson not getting injured could have changed that game and the course of the bengals from that point forward but theres no guarantee that the game doesnt end the same way.

Greg Cook getting his shoulder shredded is a pretty big one but it depends on what is meant by "change". 

My pick would be montana's last pass to taylor. If ray horton doesnt drift too far right, he's right there to pick the pass, bengals kneel and super bowl win is clinched.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The dropped INT in the '88 Super Bowl or Pete Johnson's goal line struggles in the '81 Super Bowl.

Either one would've given this team a Lombardi.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The dropped INT in the '88 Super Bowl or Pete Johnson's goal line struggles in the '81 Super Bowl.

I think saving Palmer's knee would have too. That offense was ready to obliterate in the post season
Reply/Quote
Horton steps in front of John Taylor with :34 left and picks off Montana.

That would easily be my one change.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Andy Dalton missing AJ green by this much against Houston in the 2012 playoffs.

Forgot about that one. That was brutal. Cry
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 02:02 PM)Beaker Wrote: Horton steps in front of John Taylor with :34 left and picks off Montana.

This - or the Palmer injury.   We were going to win a lot of playoff games - and Palmer's career would have had a different path as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 02:02 PM)Beaker Wrote: Horton steps in front of John Taylor with :34 left and picks off Montana.

This gets my vote.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The dropped INT in the '88 Super Bowl or Pete Johnson's goal line struggles in the '81 Super Bowl.

The third and short that wasn't converted in the '88 SB was huge too.  If it's converted, the Bengals keep the ball and probably run out the clock and win.  If Stanley Wilson was there, he would have converted it.

Our history is full of big what if's, ain't it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In '81 if Pete Johnson scores from the one on 4th down it would have been a 20-14 game going into the 4th quarter (where we outscored the Niners 14-6), but both teams would have played it differently if the score had been different,  So their is no guarantee we win 28-26.

(07-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pete Johnson's goal line struggles in the '81 Super Bowl.

I think one of the most overlooked plays of that drive was the 3rd and goal pass that went to Charles Alexander. First he cuts to route off short of the End Zone and then he gets tackled in the open field one on one and can't fall forward. (1:06 below)

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/woodland-49ers-fan-gets-dying-wish-visit-from-two-time-super-bowl-champ/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
How about the play where Chris Henry got hurt against the Ravens? Or the play where Ronnie Lott stripped the ball from Collinsworth on the long completion in the beginning of the Bengals' first SB?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think saving Palmer's knee would have too. That offense was ready to obliterate in the post season

I do think we would've beaten the Steelers, but I think the fun would've stopped in Indy.

The Colts' offense was better than ours and they proved it in regular season.
(07-06-2015, 04:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think one of the most overlooked plays of that drive was the 3rd and goal pass that went to Charles Alexander. First he cuts to route off short of the End Zone and then he gets tackled in the open field one on one and can't fall forward. (1:06 below)

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/woodland-49ers-fan-gets-dying-wish-visit-from-two-time-super-bowl-champ/

That was tough to watch. Reminded me of Kevin Dyson's near TD against the Rams in '99. So close.

[Image: The_Tackle_SBXXXIV.JPG]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The thing about the Palmer play against the Steelers in 05 wildcard, if that play was wiped away you'd have to wonder how this team would do afterwards regardless of how they fared for the rest of the playoffs that year because Palmer never would've been injured.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 05:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: The thing about the Palmer play against the Steelers in 05 wildcard, if that play was wiped away you'd have to wonder how this team would do afterwards regardless of how they fared for the rest of the playoffs that year because Palmer never would've been injured.
Palmer was actually fine after that injury I don't why everyone forgets about that. The injury that killed him was the elbow in 08 but everyone forgets about that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 04:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think one of the most overlooked plays of that drive was the 3rd and goal pass that went to Charles Alexander. First he cuts to route off short of the End Zone and then he gets tackled in the open field one on one and can't fall forward. (1:06 below)

I remember that play like it was yesterday. What sucked for me was, I was very good friends with Dan Bunz' nephew at the time and was reminded of that play every day for quite awhile.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 05:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Palmer was actually fine after that injury I don't why everyone forgets about that. The injury that killed him was the elbow in 08 but everyone forgets about that.

It changed how he was. He was a little more skiddish. 
The arm went in 08.
Reply/Quote