Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could have just one...
I am curious who the board would select if you could have just one FA position (and his name) for this season. I am not including our own guys on that list, but an outside FA.

I have been struggling with this as there seems to be a really good class of Guards in the draft, but I would have said Joe Thuney. He is young, durable, and outstanding in his position. They would have to release Miller, or move him to LG, which I don't know if he could do. Sherff is also a great option here, but also plays RG. I want Thuney as he seems so versatile. He played every position in college on the line, and he is from Centerville.

The LB class in the draft is very top-heavy, but there could be some real talent at #33 for them to select. However, LB seems (I know the %s won't back this up) to have more busts that are early selections than any other. Their position is also not as critical in today's NFL as the line, etc. I am really hoping for a long-term replacement for AJ Green at #33, so LB may have to wait until the 3rd round. Then I think of how thin we are at LB, especially speedy LBs that can cover....and I want Littleton. He is young and fast. He has dealt with Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray. He makes a lot of sense and wouldn't break the bank. Littleton would be my choice if I went LB.

The CB class is full of guys that could be upgrades over Dre, no doubt. Hard to comment as it seems most will be resigned by their current club. Nate brought up Roby, which is intriguing. Wish we still had Zimmer to coach him up.

WR- No thank you

RB- Lord, no...we don't even use the ones we have

QB- I would like to see them try to develop Dolegala...but he probably won't beat out noodle-arm Finley.

DT- There are a number available, but I would rather go with what we have and draft one in the later rounds.

S- Mixed talent out there...not sure any could push out Williams. Want to draft one, badly...there are some real playmakers in this draft.

OT- Believe it or not, I still think Hart is going to be a solid starter.

DE- Hmmmm. There is one big name that a number already shot down: Jadeveon Clowny. He fits the 3-4 scheme. He is only 27. Sure, everyone will say he won't sign here....I am not so sure. But, I think with Dunlap's age and the impact he could make on this team from the first snap, he is my choice. Yes, I would rather have him and draft a G than pay my guy Thuney. I know I would also likely lose another FA by signing him, like Eifert. I think if I had one FA I could take in this class of FA, it would be Clowney.

I would then aim for LB, G, and S as my early picks in the draft (after Burrow).

Who would you most like to have as a FA?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been a Thuney first guy, but because of the draft depth at guard I'm going Littleton in this scenario. You spelled out the guard and LB situations well, so much so that targeting a LB in a top heavy class to be there is dangerous, there could be a run. Littleton is a plug and play 3 down LB. Give me him, Vigil, Pratt and mid round pick or C-D level FA and we're ready.

Thuney's versatility to move to tackle if need be has him as my top target, only because I don't think Cincy gets in the bidding war to land Littleton. In this theoretic scenario, I go Littleton even over Clowney because of resources.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 01:57 PM)phil413 Wrote: I've been a Thuney first guy, but because of the draft depth at guard I'm going Littleton in this scenario.  You spelled out the guard and LB situations well, so much so that targeting a LB in a top heavy class to be there is dangerous, there could be a run. Littleton is a plug and play 3 down LB.  Give me him, Vigil, Pratt and mid round pick or C-D level FA and we're ready.  

Thuney's versatility to move to tackle if need be has him as my top target, only because I don't think Cincy gets in the bidding war to land Littleton. In this theoretic scenario, I go Littleton even over Clowney because of resources.

Anything is possible in the draft, but with the QBs, WRs, CBs, and OTs that are ALL being bantered about as first round picks, I think LBs will slip.  Just not the same importance as other positions today.  

I wonder how much more Clowney would command over Littleton?  Maybe and additional $13 million>  Do you see him as about $7 million per year? 
Reply/Quote
Nice thread SHRacer. If I had to go with one FA I would go with Conklin for our needs, I know we have Hart but I think
he would be more valuable as a backup RT or maybe even compete at RG with Miller and a Draft pick. The interior OL
in this Draft is extremely deep and we can get a good Guard or two in this Draft in the mid rounds. Especially with an
added pick with a Dalton trade.

Love Thuney, Glasgow and Feiler also in FA, but I think getting a proven RT on the edge would make the biggest impact
on this team in a great way. Easier to find good Guards than good OT's.

If I go LB, I go with Jamie Collins.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread SHRacer. If I had to go with one FA I would go with Conklin for our needs, I know we have Hart but I think
he would be more valuable as a backup RT or maybe even compete at RG with Miller and a Draft pick. The interior OL
in this Draft is extremely deep and we can get a good Guard or two in this Draft in the mid rounds. Especially with an
added pick with a Dalton trade.

Love Thuney, Glasgow and Feiler also in FA, but I think getting a proven RT on the edge would make the biggest impact
on this team in a great way. Easier to find good Guards than good OT's.

If I go LB, I go with Jamie Collins.

I don't think you can go wrong with Conklin at all. He's a proven commodity. I have a feeling he's about to get Nate Solder money from somebody.

Collins scares me if it's for a lot of money. It seems like New England revitalized him, but felt like he disappeared down the stretch. It seemed like he didn't have much success in Cleveland ( which, to be fair...Cleveland. ) 

I have a feeling our Free Agency will be different this year, but not by spending big bucks on one guy. I think it'll be spread out over the middle value guys instead of picking from scraps, which, considering the talent level of this team, may be a good thing.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 07:00 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't think you can go wrong with Conklin at all. He's a proven commodity. I have a feeling he's about to get Nate Solder money from somebody.

Collins scares me if it's for a lot of money. It seems like New England revitalized him, but felt like he disappeared down the stretch. It seemed like he didn't have much success in Cleveland ( which, to be fair...Cleveland. ) 

I have a feeling our Free Agency will be different this year, but not by spending big bucks on one guy. I think it'll be spread out over the middle value guys instead of picking from scraps, which, considering the talent level of this team, may be a good thing.

Yeah, Conklin will cost a lot but I think he would be worth it for this team. I don't see this happening just telling the truth about 
who if I could have just one FA. Collins is still a very good player and yeah, Cleveland. If not Collins I would grab Leonard Floyd,
Littleton, Bradham, Kwiatkoski or one of the other decent LB's.

O-line and LB are our biggest needs, in the end I think it comes to who is available and how deep is the Draft at certain positions.

There are a lot of proven LB's in FA and it isn't too deep at LB in the Draft. Really deep with interior Lineman.

I am expecting a LB, CB and D-lineman in FA spread out as you say and we go Offense in the Draft for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 07:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Conklin will cost a lot but I think he would be worth it for this team. I don't see this happening just telling the truth about 
who if I could have just one FA. Collins is still a very good player and yeah, Cleveland. If not Collins I would grab Leonard Floyd,
Littleton, Bradham, Kwiatkoski or one of the other decent LB's.

O-line and LB are our biggest needs, in the end I think it comes to who is available and how deep is the Draft at certain positions.

There are a lot of proven LB's in FA and it isn't too deep at LB in the Draft. Really deep with interior Lineman.

I am expecting a LB, CB and D-lineman in FA spread out as you say and we go Offense in the Draft for the most part.

That's what I'm thinking. I think Free Agency is set up in a way where we can fill the needs on defense, barring maybe CB. I think I read somewhere where the winning formula is usually "Fill needs in Free Agency. Take talent in the Draft." Makes a lot of sense, especially for us this year.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
I think if I could have anyone, no questions asked, it would be Clowney. He'd be a major impact player that would make that position group lethal.

Realitically, I want Schobert.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 07:29 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: That's what I'm thinking. I think Free Agency is set up in a way where we can fill the needs on defense, barring maybe CB. I think I read somewhere where the winning formula is usually "Fill needs in Free Agency. Take talent in the Draft." Makes a lot of sense, especially for us this year.

It sure does make sense to go that route for sure.

Just don't need to draft injured guys no more man. Been biting us in the ass doing this. I know I backed the Ross pick but the one 
concern everyone and I had was injuries and it has continued to be a concern. Same with Price and Price's T-Rex arms. Have to 
evaluate players better and go after talented HEALTHY players without injury history.

Anyone can get injured we all know this but some are more prone than others.
Reply/Quote
Obviously our 2 biggest needs are O-line and LB, taking 1 of them in free agency I think opens up the early rounds of the draft for us in 2-4. guys that I like and who could be had realistically are:

$-cheap
$$-modest
$$$-pricey
$$$$-expensive

O-line:

1) Glasgow-G-$$$
2) Conklin-RT-$$$
3) Thuney-G-$$$$
4) Warmack-G-$

LB:

1) Kwiatowski-$$
2) Schobert-$$$
3) Collins-$$
4) Littleton-$$$$

based on needs and the draft I would go with LB-Kwitowski. He's young played solid D, fills a need and allows us to maybe wait till rd 3/4 for LB.

Draft:

1) Burrow-QB-LSU
2) Delpit-S-LSU
3) Wilson- T-Georgia
4) Dye-LB Oregon
Reply/Quote
If I could have any free agent I wouldn't go for need but the best possible player (Non QB). That would be Amari Cooper or Byron Jones these are the best two non QBs on the market.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 09:23 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Obviously our 2 biggest needs are O-line and LB, taking 1 of them in free agency I think opens up the early rounds of the draft for us in 2-4. guys that I like and who could be had realistically are:

$-cheap
$$-modest
$$$-pricey
$$$$-expensive

O-line:

1) Glasgow-G-$$$
2) Conklin-RT-$$$
3) Thuney-G-$$$$
4) Warmack-G-$

LB:

1) Kwiatowski-$$
2) Schobert-$$$
3) Collins-$$
4) Littleton-$$$$

based on needs and the draft I would go with LB-Kwitowski. He's young played solid D, fills a need and allows us to maybe wait till rd 3/4 for LB.

Draft:

1) Burrow-QB-LSU
2) Delpit-S-LSU
3) Wilson- T-Georgia
4) Dye-LB Oregon

I like your thoughts as usual Schroomy and that Draft would be awesome IMO.

Warmack/Collins sounds likely from your points.

(03-14-2020, 09:30 PM)Synric Wrote: If I could have any free agent I wouldn't go for need but the best possible player (Non QB). That would be Amari Cooper or Byron Jones these are the best two non QBs on the market.

I like both but it will break the bank most likely.

Wouldn't be able to improve the OL especially and maybe even the LB position in FA if we got either Amari or Byron.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 09:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like both but it will break the bank most likely.

Wouldn't be able to improve the OL especially and maybe even the LB position in FA if we got either Amari or Byron.

Question is what choice of free agent. I would take one of the two players that are among the best at their position than overpay a second rate player.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 09:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Question is what choice of free agent. I would take one of the two players that are among the best at their position than overpay a second rate player.

I would take the player that improves the team at the greatest area of need and opens up the Draft accordingly.

Depending on the depth of the Draft class.
Reply/Quote
I'd add Logan Ryan to the list of guys I want. He'd be a good slot corner if Dennard leaves and he's excellent at knowing how to keep secondaries lined up. He might not be the athlete he once was, but his leadership could go a long way, much like Terrance Newman. He could be what they've been missing for a few years now.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 09:30 PM)Synric Wrote: If I could have any free agent I wouldn't go for need but the best possible player (Non QB). That would be Amari Cooper or Byron Jones these are the best two non QBs on the market.

Reps. Yep I would go with Byron.

I don’t know too much about Byron I just know he is damn good. And a shut down CB is one of the best commodities in the NFL. And I do know Clowney has missed a decent chunk of games. He is super tempting but I think he is closer to being and Albert Haynesworth type FA bust than Byron is to being a Trumain Johnson type bust
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 07:00 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't think you can go wrong with Conklin at all. He's a proven commodity. I have a feeling he's about to get Nate Solder money from somebody.

I agree completely that this would be a better use of our FA dollars....I would just love to see what this team looked like with a guy like Clowney, a freak safety from the draft,  and better depth at LB.  I believe in Phillips to replace Dre (and I would give Dre's money to Clowney).

I would love to see his impact across the defensive line.  I don't even like to think about his attitude or not wanting to play here.  I want some studs on the defense to get that side going as Burrow begins to transform the offense.  
Reply/Quote