Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could, would you?
If you could take a rookie AJ Green with the 5th pick in this year's draft, knowing exactly what you are getting, would you do that or would you stick with your preference of Sewell/Chase/whoever.
Reply/Quote
Yes a sure thing perennial pro bowler in his prime and on a rookie contract is a no brainer. There is no such thing as a can’t miss prospect no matter how many times those words get thrown around. If you can somehow magically guarantee AJ green talent/production vs two unknowns it’s an easy decision.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Easy yes!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yes and Chase could be that good with his burst, quicks, route running, hands and work ethic.
Reply/Quote
Yes, obviously take the sure-fire perennial Pro Bowler. I think Chase and Sewell have higher ceilings, but if we already know that AJ will be AJ for 5-6 years, there should be zero hesitancy. You would removed all possibility of the pick failing, regardless of how small.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 06:21 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: If you could take a rookie AJ Green with the 5th pick in this year's draft, knowing exactly what you are getting, would you do that or would you stick with your preference of Sewell/Chase/whoever.

No. Taking rookie AJ Green did not "Get" the Bengals anything the first time they took him and this O-Line is much worse than what he had here then.  

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 06:57 PM)Burma Wrote: No. Taking rookie AJ Green did not "Get" the Bengals anything the first time they took him and this O-Line is much worse than what he had here then.  

So...  I guess you're saying Dalton is better than Burrow at this point?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So...  I guess you're saying Dalton is better than Burrow at this point?

Did you see me say that?

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Of course.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:10 PM)Burma Wrote: Did you see me say that?

Just wondering.

Completely different QB.  Completely different team.

Kind of hard to justify what happened in the past with different variables.

AJ was one hell of a college talent prospect and unquestionably a high value day one starter as an NFL rookie.
Reply/Quote
No. The only reason AJ got those catches was because even tho he had a middle of the road QB, that qb was protected with a decent OL and had time to throw. Let's protect Burrow so he can get receiver X the ball.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just wondering.

Completely different QB.  Completely different team.

Kind of hard to justify what happened in the past with different variables.

AJ was one hell of a college talent prospect and unquestionably a high value day one starter as an NFL rookie.

AJ was an awesome talent, no doubt. But considering him being available in this draft, and with the holes on this team, I would still take Sewell. 

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No. The only reason AJ got those catches was because even tho he had a middle of the road QB, that qb was protected with a decent OL and had time to throw. Let's protect Burrow so he can get receiver X the ball.

Take a look at that 2015 line compared to our projected opening day line.

White, Boling, Bodine (ugh), Zeitler, and Smith 

vs 

Williams, XSF/Spain, Hopkins, XSF/Spain, Reiff

Hopkins is the only player now that is better than than his 2015 counterpart. Rieff is a push, his pff grade has him as 71.4 and up to 2015 Andre Smith had a 70.28 average and trending downwards.

Simply drafting the stud WR did not get the Bengals any playoff wins.  18 receptions for 232 yards and 1 touchdown in 4 playoff games and many regular season cheers and good feelings.  That's what it got.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:28 PM)Burma Wrote: Take a look at that 2015 line compared to our projected opening day line.

White, Boling, Bodine (ugh), Zeitler, and Smith 

vs 

Williams, XSF/Spain, Hopkins, XSF/Spain, Reiff

Hopkins is the only player now that is better than than his 2015 counterpart. Rieff is a push, his pff grade has him as 71.4 and up to 2015 Andre Smith had a 70.28 average and trending downwards.

Simply drafting the stud WR did not get the Bengals any playoff wins.  18 receptions for 232 yards and 1 touchdown in 4 playoff games and many regular season cheers and good feelings.  That's what it got.

Those are all team losses. 

I don't need those stats to know it. 

Look at all of that O-line protection and not good enough supporting cast to take the heat off our stud WR.

Not to mention that playoff game that our OC wouldn't use him as a target for the 1st half and when he was injured for the other one.

Great catch from a crappy backup QB only to be pisssed away by fumble fingers Jeremy and the downward spiral D meltdown.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:45 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Those are all team losses. 

I don't need those stats to know it. 

Look at all of that O-line protection and not good enough supporting cast to take the heat off our stud WR.

Not to mention that playoff game that our OC wouldn't use him as a target for the 1st half and when he was injured for the other one.

Great catch from a crappy backup QB only to be pisssed away by fumble fingers Jeremy and the downward spiral D meltdown.

Essentially this is similar to a Top Down vs Bottom Up approach in software design.  Both have their own merits, but I tend to favor the latter. In my case the approach is build the line, and add on from there.  There is no downside to having a solid line especially when you have a $48 million dollar running back who is not getting any younger. Adding AJ to this team would be cool, much like how a house of cards is cool until the table wiggles.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:55 PM)Burma Wrote: Essentially this is similar to a Top Down vs Bottom Up approach in software design.  Both have their own merits, but I tend to favor the latter. In my case the approach is build the line, and add on from there.  There is no downside to having a solid line especially when you have a $48 million dollar running back who is not getting any younger. Adding AJ to this team would be cool, much like how a house of cards is cool until the table wiggles.

I get it.  Nobody wants weak trenches.

I'm not sold on Taylor as a captain even if we have a solid ship with flashy sails...  but I digress.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 06:21 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: If you could take a rookie AJ Green with the 5th pick in this year's draft, knowing exactly what you are getting, would you do that or would you stick with your preference of Sewell/Chase/whoever.

Absolutely.  I'd also draft a rookie Whitworth at 5 as well.  
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. Green did what we are hoping Chase can do: stretch the field and come down with 50/50 balls and can circus catch poorly thrown balls.

With Burrow as his QB, a young AJ Green would break Bengals receiving records easily.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 12:29 AM)phil413 Wrote: Absolutely.  I'd also draft a rookie Whitworth at 5 as well.  

I don't disagree with this at all, however Whit's slow start would have us all crying bloody murder. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 08:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I get it.  Nobody wants weak trenches.

I'm not sold on Taylor as a captain even if we have a solid ship with flashy sails...  but I digress.

Not all the best trench players are taken in the top 5 either...
Reply/Quote