Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If you're Andy Dalton...how pissed are you?
If you're Andy Dalton, how pissed are you? How pissed are you at the Bengals front office for letting the best two offensive lineman on a crap offensive line walk?

The guy was constantly on the run or on the ground last year and the front office decided to pretty much **** him over by not bringing in help or resigning guys that would have kept the offensive line stable. Andy is a huge product of his offensive line. He goes as the offensive line goes. When they play like crap, he generally doesn't perform well.

The Bengals obviously had a plan to draft Fisher and Ced to replace guys they were losing in free agency this year, but that obviously didn't work out. Instead of the Bengals deviating from the plan and trying to resign Whit or Zeit, they pulled the same old Bengals crap. Pinching pennies and refusing to address the O Line.

The big loser in this entire debacle is Dalton. YOU KNOW after Andy plays like crap because his offensive line will have him on his back more often than a ***** named Airforce Amy people will automatically blame Andy for the Bengals sucking.

If im Dalton and I signed a team friendly deal a couple years ago and committed to this organization only to have the rug pulled out from under me....im pissed.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Some on this board are already laying the groundwork to blame 2017 on Dalton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Let's see how this off season plays out.

I think bringing Andre back will be a great move at RG. I think he will be an above average guard. Now, if we can bring Mangold in as well, all of a sudden the middle of our O-line looks like it could make some holes and protect the passer.

What if we add a guy like Fournette in the draft and another big target?

Also, don't kid yourself, Dalton's deal was market value.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you're Andy Dalton, how pissed are you? How pissed are you at the Bengals front office for letting the best two offensive lineman on a crap offensive line walk?

The guy was constantly on the run or on the ground last year and the front office decided to pretty much **** him over by not bringing in help or resigning guys that would have kept the offensive line stable. Andy is a huge product of his offensive line. He goes as the offensive line goes. When they play like crap, he generally doesn't perform well.

The Bengals obviously had a plan to draft Fisher and Ced to replace guys they were losing in free agency this year, but that obviously didn't work out. Instead of the Bengals deviating from the plan and trying to resign Whit or Zeit, they pulled the same old Bengals crap. Pinching pennies and refusing to address the O Line.

The big loser in this entire debacle is Dalton. YOU KNOW after Andy plays like crap because his offensive line will have him on his back more often than a ***** named Airforce Amy people will automatically blame Andy for the Bengals sucking.

If im Dalton and I signed a team friendly deal a couple years ago and committed to this organization only to have the rug pulled out from under me....im pissed.

I'd feel like Carson Palmer. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Let's see how this off season plays out.

I think bringing Andre back will be a great move at RG.  I think he will be an above average guard.  Now, if we can bring Mangold in as well, all of a sudden the middle of our O-line looks like it could make some holes and protect the passer.

Sorry man, im not sharing your optimism. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
As a player id have a different mindset. As a player you cant look at WHO is on your team, you only look at how you can make it work. So knowing Andy, hes a professional and thinks of himself as very talented. Hes not angry or upset. Hes probably a tiny bit SALTY but nothing that will carry over, because at the end of day weve given him a solid team for his whole career here. He was destined to have a shitty line eventually

Now after YEARS of a shitty line I have to think hed feel some type of way

Carson consistently had one of the best o lines in football and still got pissed enough to quit on Mike Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Let's see how this off season plays out.

I think bringing Andre back will be a great move at RG.  I think he will be an above average guard.  Now, if we can bring Mangold in as well, all of a sudden the middle of our O-line looks like it could make some holes and protect the passer.

Ehh, it was a pretty darn friendly (not extremely so) deal when he signed it. Now a couple years later it's absurdly team friendly. Keep in mind the same year Dalton signed his contract, Kaepernick signed his 6yr/$114m deal.

Andy Dalton makes the 20th most among QBs in the NFL, and that's even more impressive when you consider the majority of people who make less than him are on rookie contracts. (Goff, Wentz, Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Lynch, Carr, Kessler, Petty/Hackenburg all on rookie contracts.)

That's 9 teams projected starters out of 32.

So ~23 teams with a non-rookie-contract starter, and Dalton is at 20th. That's the very definition of team friendly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I keep seeing this talk about Andre playing guard.  He did not play guard in college, and has not done so in the NFL to my knowledge.  What makes everyone this this is the plan?

His deal is extremely team friendly.  $16 million for a starting quarterback, especially without a substantial amount guaranteed, is a very good deal for the Brown family.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I keep seeing this talk about Andre playing guard.  He did not play guard in college, and has not done so in the NFL to my knowledge.  What makes everyone this this is the plan?

His deal is extremely team friendly.  $16 million for a starting quarterback, especially without a substantial amount guaranteed, is a very good deal for the Brown family.

Thats the only way they do it.
Reply/Quote
Trade Andy because we owe it to him - to Houston for 2 first round draft picks and maybe a 2.

They could win Super Bowl with Dalton

we are in complete re-build mold.

This is going to be a very depressing season and we could slip into oblivion once again for more than a few years.
Reply/Quote
More like, how pissed is AJ? Remember when the off season started and he made the very uncharacteristic statement/plea that we need to do big things in the off season? We've pretty much done the exact opposite.
Reply/Quote
If I could do a "Vulcan mind meld" with Andy Dalton, my initial reaction to Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler leaving would be positive. He would be happy for them personally and excited that the Front Office is transitioning to new offensive line personnel and a new mindset up front. Andy might be excited to see Jake Fisher get some playing time, happy to see Cedric Ogbuehi work in the offseason to improve, and for the Front Office to bring in some quality free agents like Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, or Jake Long as short term solutions to the nagging problems on the Bengals' offensive line. It would also be acceptable for Andy to get some assurance from the Front Office that they might draft good linemen; this too would be acceptable.

On maybe the majority of teams in the NFL this would be the case, but we're in Cincinnati.

So, in reality, I think Andy Dalton would feel betrayed and angry. Heck, he was mad as crap last season every time the linemen missed blocks, allowed an unnecessary sack, or didn't open a gap for Jeremy Hill! You could see it on his face, too, but he is too much of a gentleman to chew those guys out in public. I do miss that with Carson Palmer: If someone blew a a blocking assignment he was on them like flies on poop.

There are still excellent free agent linemen to be had and, at this point, had for cheap. Bringing Andre Smith back was a good move, not the best move, but a good one. He immediately makes the run game better.

Andy Dalton has a quick release but that does no good on deep routes which take four to five seconds to develop. The Bengals' running game is near the bottom of the league in yards per carry. These are glaring errors the Front Office seems unable to address or even admit exist.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I keep seeing this talk about Andre playing guard.  He did not play guard in college, and has not done so in the NFL to my knowledge.  What makes everyone this this is the plan?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Andre-offers-giant-flexibility-as-Bengals-go-on-guard/069c756e-922a-47e8-8909-a3849a7e9904

these are all quotes from the linked article:

The Bengals went back to the future Tuesday to solve the departure of right guard Kevin Zeitler when old friend Andre Smith reportedly agreed to a Paul Brown Stadium reunion. Indications are the Bengals are going to play him at right guard next to new right tackle Jake Fisher. "I have enough faith in myself that I can do anything I put my mind to," Smith says.

“I’ve never played the position. Everything is new,” Smith said. “But I feel like I’m a good enough player and I have enough faith in myself that I can do anything I put my mind to. Paul’s a really good coach and he’s going to coach me up well.

“I haven’t played there in ages. But I know I’ll put the effort and the work in and it’s going to pay off.”

The Smith signing also gives them mega flexibility. The Bengals are showing enormous faith in their young tackles, but since they don’t have a backup for Ogbuehi at left tackle, Fisher could be an option in case of injury.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sorry man, im not sharing your optimism. 

I'm not optimistic at all.  However, I for some reason always have a "wait and see" outlook on things.

I don't have very high hopes for this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehh, it was a pretty darn friendly (not extremely so) deal when he signed it. Now a couple years later it's absurdly team friendly. Keep in mind the same year Dalton signed his contract, Kaepernick signed his 6yr/$114m deal.

Andy Dalton makes the 20th most among QBs in the NFL, and that's even more impressive when you consider the majority of people who make less than him are on rookie contracts. (Goff, Wentz, Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Lynch, Carr, Kessler, Petty/Hackenburg all on rookie contracts.)

So ~23 teams with a non-rookie-contract starter, and Dalton is at 20th. That's the very definition of team friendly.

Well played. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehh, it was a pretty darn friendly (not extremely so) deal when he signed it. Now a couple years later it's absurdly team friendly. Keep in mind the same year Dalton signed his contract, Kaepernick signed his 6yr/$114m deal.

Maybe there is more to it, but it sort of seems like Dalton signed a team friendly deal and Mike Brown hain't exactly returning the favor.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Some on this board are already laying the groundwork to blame 2017 on Dalton.

Yep.

(03-15-2017, 05:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If I could do a "Vulcan mind meld" with Andy Dalton, my initial reaction to Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler leaving would be positive.  He would be happy for them personally and excited that the Front Office is transitioning to new offensive line personnel and a new mindset up front. Andy might be excited to see Jake Fisher get some playing time, happy to see Cedric Ogbuehi work in the offseason to improve, and for the Front Office to bring in some quality free agents like Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, or Jake Long as short term solutions to the nagging problems on the Bengals' offensive line. It would also be acceptable for Andy to get some assurance from the Front Office that they might draft good linemen; this too would be acceptable.

On maybe the majority of teams in the NFL this would be the case, but we're in Cincinnati.

So, in reality, I think Andy Dalton would feel betrayed and angry.  Heck, he was mad as crap last season every time the linemen missed blocks, allowed an unnecessary sack, or didn't open a gap for Jeremy Hill!  You could see it on his face, too, but he is too much of a gentleman to chew those guys out in public.  I do miss that with Carson Palmer:  If someone blew a a blocking assignment he was on them like flies on poop.

There are still excellent free agent linemen to be had and, at this point, had for cheap.  Bringing Andre Smith back was a good move, not the best move, but a good one.  He immediately makes the run game better.  

Andy Dalton has a quick release but that does no good on deep routes which take four to five seconds to develop.  The Bengals' running game is near the bottom of the league in yards per carry.  These are glaring errors the Front Office seems unable to address or even admit exist.

I don't remember Carson being all that vocal. I think his leadership skills seem to get exaggerated more and more the further we get from his tenure. He may have flung his arms up at Chad a few times (something he's done in Oakland and AZ as well), but he never struck me as a fiery type. That's why his trade demand kind of blindsided everyone. Like Dalton, he seemed to play the role of good soldier.

Absolutely spot on with everything else you say though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you're Andy Dalton, how pissed are you? How pissed are you at the Bengals front office for letting the best two offensive lineman on a crap offensive line walk?

Most likely less than most on this message board. We are just one draft removed from taking Olinemen with our first two pick in an effort to protect him going forward We've also taken a first round guard and a 3rd round Center. 

Have they turned out to be the most talented Oline in the NFL? Nope. But should Andy be pissed about it? Nope and he most likely isn't. He seems pretty mature. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I agree Dalton did not sign a contract to be part of a rebuild. Anyway, lets see where the chips fall in the draft first. The sky is falling, but it has in the past and we survived.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Don't think Dalton is pissed at all.

Dalton, unlike many on this board, has resolve and gumption.

He most likely looks at this season as another chance to prove himself. With Whit gone, he is now the true number 1 leader of this team.

I think Dalton performs well and puts together a solid season.
Reply/Quote