Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were coaching Mixon
Let's play the coach game - if you were coaching Mixon, what it the one big thing you would impress on him regarding proper on the field play?

For mine, as I am assuming everyone is going to be telling him he needs to keep his emotions under control I will go with a technique item - do not dance. Pick an angle and turn the jets on. One cut only. Hit the line fast and burn them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1) One whiff of trouble and you're out of here.
2) Other teams will talk shit and try to get in your head on the field. Don't let them.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure your first point is relevant to on the field play. But the second is definitely - we have more than one player who have issues with getting baited into intemperate actions. They all need to learn to just walk away.
Reply/Quote
The issue with the woman was years ago, so I'm guessing he has been trash talked enough about it.

That being said, he is hailed as a LeVeon Bell type. Patient runner. That being said, Bell is sometimes too patient and doesn't pick a hole (this is a rarity, but something that is brought up enough to make it an issue). This is something that will come with experience, and might not if the offensive line doesn't hold up for him.

I think beyond that, the big thing to push is heart. Everyone will go after who you are, what you are and all that after what he has been through. The best thing to do is to put your heart on your sleeves, go out there and play every down like it is your last. I think the best example of that would be what Vick went through post prison with the Eagles.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: Let's play the coach game - if you were coaching Mixon, what it the one big thing you would impress on him regarding proper on the field play?

For mine, as I am assuming everyone is going to be telling him he needs to keep his emotions under control I will go with a technique item - do not dance. Pick an angle and turn the jets on. One cut only. Hit the line fast and burn them.

I would coach him like I would anyone else. Great coaches don't get that way by singling guys out.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:25 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I would coach him like I would anyone else. Great coaches don't get that way by singling guys out.

So you don't think coaches provide individual coaching to players? 
Reply/Quote
Don't understand this? Never had on field problems?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Don't understand this? Never had on field problems?

That was my thought, where is his history ever having on the field problems. Guys are making way too much out of this. That said, I find it interesting he went to dinner with Gio and MJ, and Hill was not there.....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Don't understand this? Never had on field problems?

No he hasn't, but on the field ethic could really swing in his favour too.

If I'm coaching Mixon, I would use his on the field stuff to COMPLIMENT off the field stuff too. He absoutely needs to be a model citizen off the field now. On the field, I would be talking to him and saying 'do the right things'. Don't go jawing at refs, or coming up with ways to make yourself look arrogant on the field. Be a top pro, respect the rulebook and handle yourself right.

It's much more important that he is a model person off the field than on it, but if you want to change perceptions of the guy the way he handles himself on the field is important too. Ultimately thats where he gets his TV time, so let's use it. If I was Mixon, I'd absolutely want to use my on the field time to broadcast that I'm a changed man and a top pro.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: Let's play the coach game - if you were coaching Mixon, what it the one big thing you would impress on him regarding proper on the field play?

Act like Gio and not Jeremy
Reply/Quote

(04-30-2017, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That was my thought, where is his history ever having on the field problems. Guys are making way too much out of this. That said, I find it interesting he went to dinner with Gio and MJ, and Hill was not there.....

I know.  It's like the media trying to lump Burfict in with Pacman, Chris Henry, etc...

Burfict's problems have and continue to be on-field ones.

Mixon's problem was an off-field issue.  If he's going to be "morally coached" it should at least be for the right thing. LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
"Joe?"

"Yes, Fan_in_Kettering?"

"Welcome to Cincinnati."

"Thanks, man. What do you want me to do?"

"You see that guy over there?"

"You mean Paul Alexander? He sure plays a mean piano! He's the offensive line coach, right?"

"Yes, that's the guy. Don't expect him to help you any. Just find some daylight and go for it."
Reply/Quote

Everytime he made a serious error I would say:

"Mixon what did the hand say to the face?"

"What coach GodFather?"

"Slaaaaaapp"
Reply/Quote
Here you go the easiest coaching advice ever

"Do what you have done the last 3 years both on and off the field."

He hasnt been in trouble before or after this incident so get over yourself and punch a pillow if it makes you feel better

Reply/Quote

Its not skills Joe Mixon lacks. He can run, catch, and pass protect as well as anyone in this draft class. Most of the coaching should deal with mental toughness and keeping a level head. It's guaranteed that every team and road game fanbase are going to roast Mixon every chance they get. Oh, and for the love of god, keep Joe away from PacMan and Jeremy Hill. Have him stay and room with Gio.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
See #32?

Absorb everything he does and then do the opposite.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:56 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: See #32?

Absorb everything he does and then do the opposite.

Better yet pair him with Giovanni Bernard to learn how to live and make him drive a minivan his first two years

Reply/Quote