Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were in charge or free agency
Would CJs production with the Jets and Hursts revival sway your desire to try and sign Hurst next offseason?

Could the Bengals system just make TEs look good and any TE you out there will produce? If you think that then you would be hesitant to cash out Hayden Hurst.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Would CJs production with the Jets and Hursts revival sway your desire to try and sign Hurst next offseason?

Could the Bengals system just make TEs look good and any TE you out there will produce? If you think that then you would be hesitant to cash out Hayden Hurst.

CJ has been banged up + has had Zach Wilson throwing to him. I don't think you can take that in consideration
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:59 AM)HoushWould CJs production with the Jets and Hursts revival sway your desire to try and sign Hurst next offseason? Wrote: Could the Bengals system just make TEs look good and any TE you out there will produce? If you think that then you would be hesitant to cash out Hayden Hurst.

Well..not every TE

[Image: Drew-Sample.jpg?w=1250]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Definitely think the bengals offensive weapons help hurst. But hurst seems to be a great fit and I hope he’s extended at a reasonable salary. If he’s looking for crazy money, then the bengals have to move on to other options
Reply/Quote
Definitely would like to re-sign Hurst as long as he is not trying to break the bank.

Think he is a great fit for the Bengals and has bought in as well.

Plus as has already been pointed out that Sample was a 2nd round pick and Burrow has not elevated his receiving skills.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If Hurst wants paid like the TEs in last FA, the Bengals can't afford him anyway. He's good now because he's making $3.5m this year. He wouldn't be good at $8-12m/yr when Burrow is about to sign for probably at least $50m/yr and if they want to sign Higgins he'll be another $25m/yr, and Chase is going to get $35m/yr before the 2024 season starts. Other positions on the Bengals roster are going to have to be filled with lesser salaries considering currently Burrow and Higgins are only a roughly combined $12.2m in cap space this year.

Either going to have to try to sign a new cheap 1-2 year TE in FA, or hope to develop a mid-round pick on a nice cheap contract.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Would CJs production with the Jets and Hursts revival sway your desire to try and sign Hurst next offseason?

Bengals system really has nothing to do with Hursts excellent catch's in traffic and his effort after the catch.  I could see this point being made last season with CJ as his drops were when he had to extend his arms to catch the ball, whereas Hurst has an excellent catch radius.  I think Joe has more confidence targeting Hayden in coverage as well.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Hurst wants paid like the TEs in last FA, the Bengals can't afford him anyway. He's good now because he's making $3.5m this year. He wouldn't be good at $8-12m/yr when Burrow is about to sign for probably at least $50m/yr and if they want to sign Higgins he'll be another $25m/yr, and Chase is going to get $35m/yr before the 2024 season starts. Other positions on the Bengals roster are going to have to be filled with lesser salaries considering currently Burrow and Higgins are only a roughly combined $12.2m in cap space this year.

Either going to have to try to sign a new cheap 1-2 year TE in FA, or hope to develop a mid-round pick on a nice cheap contract.

Think it will be Higgins who they will not able to afford to pay unfortunately. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 02:08 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Think it will be Higgins who they will not able to afford to pay unfortunately. 

100%. 

Just need to hope the salary cap goes up an insane amount so we have money for everyone.

I wish Higgins would stay for a bit cheaper and just look at the bigger picture and see that he'll have a longer and better career with Burrow but I'm sure that his agent is convincing him that he doesn't need Burrow to be successful. He might not need Burrow to be good, but he'll have a better and longer career here with more security.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 02:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: 100%. 

Just need to hope the salary cap goes up an insane amount so we have money for everyone

I wish Higgins would stay for a bit cheaper and just look at the bigger picture and see that he'll have a longer and better career with Burrow but I'm sure that his agent is convincing him that he doesn't need Burrow to be successful. He might not need Burrow to be good, but he'll have a better and longer career here with more security.

The salaries for everyone would go up an equal insane amount, as it always has. 

WRs are going to be even more tough to keep more than one of. Justin Jefferson is going to reset the WR market again even higher this coming off-season coming into the league and putting up 1,400 yard, 1,600 yard, and now on pace for 1,900 yard seasons. Competing with Randy Moss for the greatest 3 year start to a WR career ever.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The salaries for everyone would go up an equal insane amount, as it always has. 

WRs are going to be even more tough to keep more than one of. Justin Jefferson is going to reset the WR market again even higher this coming off-season coming into the league and putting up 1,400 yard, 1,600 yard, and now on pace for 1,900 yard seasons. Competing with Randy Moss for the greatest 3 year start to a WR career ever.

But we don't have to give everyone a new deal at the same time. 
Reply/Quote
I would sign Burrow and Chase for sure. The rest will probably be negotiated. Hurst should want to stay on a winning team though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I suspect Hurst will get a better offer elsewhere but I hope we can re-sign, he’s a nice compliment to our team.
Reply/Quote
In defense of CJ and his numbers . . . I've watched almost every Jet game this season. They are not using CJ in a way the utilizes his biggest strength, the cutback in open field about 15-20 yards down field. CJ is getting dump offs near the line of scrimmage and that's about it
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I think they get Michael Mayer from Notre Dame in the next draft and extend Hurst for two years to give the rookie time to develop.
Reply/Quote
Re-signing Hurst is a no brainer. While other TE"s may have more yardage due to the systems they play in, show me one that makes better catches and puts in more effort after the catch. To me, he's a man who is finally flourishing and is happy to be here. I don't expect him to try to break the bank, I expect him to tell his agent to do everything he can to get him re-signed here.
Reply/Quote

Hurst has been incredibly reliable, and I love his energy.  If he can be signed next season for a reasonable contract, I am all over it.  
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow probably elevates the production of everyone he throws to. I would expect both Uzomah and Hurst to slow down on most other NFL teams (and as was already stated: CJ's quarterback situation has been dire).

Still, once a fit has been established and Burrow has chemistry, then you might as well stick with it given a reasonable price. If Hurst doesn't expect a major cash-in, then by all means let's keep him here. I hope he would understand that priorities have to be in order with so many core players on rookie contracts preparing to break the bank.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:52 AM)Munich Bengals Wrote: I think they get Michael Mayer from Notre Dame in the next draft and extend Hurst for two years to give the rookie time to develop.

No way.  First round TEs make zero sense to me.  Pitts was supposed to change the game.  Has he?  Hockenson was traded away.  

The picks for first rounders (and we won't need a QB for 20 years) should be CB, OT, WR, and DE.  I rarely see any other positions as valuable.  And I think with really good scouting, the WRs we will be looking for could be had in later rounds.  Chase was a generational talent, and many of us saw that coming (toots horn again).

My absolute dream (and many of you will think this is either a homer play or just plain stupid), but Jaxson Smith-Njigba is a freak at WR.  His injury this season will cause him to drop a bit.  I don't see any way he is available of the end of round 1, but if he gets to around 20 or so, I might offer an addition couple picks to get him.  Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson were both first rounders this year and call JSN the best of the three of them.  

When Olave and Wilson sat out the Rose Bowl last year to avoid injury before the draft, JSN went off for 300 yards.  His absence is a big reason why the Buckeyes have struggled this year.  I see him as almost another Chase.   I don't know the details of his injury, and that could matter, but I would LOVE to see that guy with Higgins and Chase on the field.  Immediately better than the Greatest Show on Turf.   
Reply/Quote
I think you probably are able to keep Hurst depending on how much he asks for. I don't know if we'll go over 5 million -- especially considering how good we are at finding value at the TE position in FA. If Hurst does ask for a lot we might just go look for the next Hurst though of course it is more ideal to keep the team together.

I wonder how much it would cost to keep Von Bell. And my other question is what do you do with Eli Apple? Maybe the cutoff is around $5 mil like with Hurst. More than that and we let him go.

One I am pretty certain of is that we will re-sign Germaine Pratt as he should be reasonably priced and is producing.

Reply/Quote