Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were the General Manager of the Cincinnati Bengals
1. Pluck Michigans d line coach.
2. Pluck whoever the hell was the architect behind Dallas' o line.
3. Give McDaniels another go or Matt Patricia his first go.
4. Declare war on Pittsburgh and retract naming rights from Heinz for the "Heinz Red Zone"
5. Fire anyone who has been with the organization for 8 years or more. You're cut off.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 08:09 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: 1. I would reduce the price of beer at the stadium to $2.00
2. Bags of hot peanuts would be $1.00
3. I would ban all Steeler fans and Steeler gear
4. Those monkeys riding dogs would always perform at halftime
5. The cheerleaders would be topless

Hire this man!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
1.) Hire Josh McDaniel's as head coach
2.)Trade Vontaz(comp 3rd), Pacman(comp 6th), AJ Macaron(anywhere from a 3rd to a 1st and a third depending on the QB market), and Ced (comp 5th) (don't laugh someone will want him for a low draft pick).
3.) Cut- Sims, Rey M, V rey,
4.) Sign Kevin Zeitler long term, sign Andrew Whitworth to a one year deal(convince him to take a  pay cut)
5.) Free agent sign Kenny Stills, Jabal sheard, Andre Smith, and Brian Hoyer
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 08:09 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: 1. I would reduce the price of beer at the stadium to $2.00

Not sure some of those make any sense without improving the quality
Reply/Quote
This should happen now.... NOW!!!!
Reply/Quote
1) Put in a Bengals Ring of Honor with Anthony Munoz, Isaac Curtis, Ken Riley, Ken Anderson and Corey Dillon in as the first inductees. There will be one new inductee every year with great fanfare. A whole weekend in honor of the inductee as well as past Bengal players.

2) Lower prices of all concessions and tickets. Reserve 10 tickets to each game for members of our armed forces and their families.

3) Install practice bubble.

4) Hire 2 additional scouts that have a proven track record.

5) Meet with every single player one-on-one and get their unbiased opinions on the team. Conversations will be confidential. Do the same with the current coaching staff.

6) Assess the availability of coaches from other teams and the college ranks that can replace current coaching staff. I wouldn't get rid of any coach without an adequate replacement. That said, there's almost always an adequate replacement every year. I would look at Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Todd Haley and Jim Schwartz. If I decide I want one of these guys, I will let them call the shots on who they want as assistants.

7) I would franchise Kirkpatrick and sign Whitworth and LaFell to a one year deal. I wouldn't give Zeitler a huge contract as I think his play has regressed. I would sign Rex Burkhead and Brandon Thompson to decent deals as well. They shouldn't be very costly. All the other free agents can walk.

8) Let Nugent go at the end of the season. Bring in kickers to compete for a job while looking at potential free-agents. This is a priority for the team.

9) Knowing the Bengals never get big-time free-agents, and I don't have any issues with this philosophy personally, I wouldn't rule out making a splash in which helps us and hurts another team in our division. I would reach out to Le'Veon Bell in free-agency as well as Kawann Short and Melvin Ingram.

10) Since Bell and Short (and most other big-time free-agents) would be too expensive, I would go after starters and productive players who are finishing their rookie contracts. Johnathan Hankins (DT-NYG) would be a solid pickup who is only 25 years old, Brandon Willams (DT-BAL), John Simon (OLB-HOU), Cairo Santos (K-KC), Brandon McManus (K-DEN) and maybe take a flier on Jamie Collins (OLB-CLE) and Dont'a Hightower (OLB-NE).

11) Draft one of the following players if available with our #1 pick: Jabrill Peppers/Johnathan Allen/Myles Garrett/Rueben Foster.

12) Cheerleaders are topless
Reply/Quote
Taking over as GM, Hand me the Payroll.....Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Iloka top paid, OK, I see that....Boling paid 26 mil into 2020, I can't say I like that. Is he THAT good in the NFL ?...What idiot signed Pacman Jones to 22 mil into 2019. A team that let Joseph and Hall leave and pays this much money to this aging second rate player. With Kirkpatrick, Dennard and Jackson he is not the future. Can I unload this guy or do we just have to live with this awful contract......Williams, OK...MJ at 20 mil until, 2019. That seems too much, but OK. Burfict at 19 mil...Gio Bernard at 15 mil until 2020, is he really that good. Send out trade offers to teams on Gio....Maualuga at 15 mil next 2 years...Starting to see some lousy moves by the Brown family....Huber at 14 mil. Seems a lot for a punter but 2 years left on a long contract. OK.....Vincent Rey at 10 mil. That seems high for a guy that often isn't first string...Jackson and Ogbuehi, next, which is right for top picks.....Peko and Whitworth and Kirkpatrick at 9 mil each and now free agents. These lousy contracts to Pacman and such force me as new GM to cut somewhere. Peko and Whitworth gone and I Franchise Tag Kirkpatrick. ..OR...I say this team paying Pacman and drafting Dennard and Jackson lost us Kirkpatrick...I might then franchise tag Whitworth or let all 3 walk. Some of these lousy top heavy contracts above have to force cuts in other areas. Boling, Pacman, Bernard, Rey all over paid. I can't keep Pacman and Kirkpatrick and Brown Family went nuts and signed Pacman into 2019. They force me to let Kirkpatrick go also. I hope Dennard and Jackson pan out. .......Eifert and Dennard. OK.....Zeitler contract up. Him I want to keep. Too early to give him away. He gets the Franchise Tag and then I try to resign him longer...Good-bye Whit and Kirkpatrick due to some dumb Brown Family contracts.....Ryan Hewitt at 7.5 mil until 2020, You have to be kidding me. What were the Brown Family doing. Makes no sense. ....Clark Harris at 5 mil, another head scratcher. No wonder this team loses....Fisher, Boyd, Hill OK.....Hunt contract up. Look, they brought back MJ at 20 mil. Hunt has to go like Kirkpatrick due to Pacman. Brown Family caused this, not me......Nugent contract up at 3.5 mil. Can't even make extra points now. He is out of here.....Oh, here is a CB named Russell at 3 mil until 2020. Another reason Kirkpatrick must go. Thanks Brown Family. ...Vigil and Kroft on 3 mil contracts....OK, who gets paid a mil a year at this point....LaFell is 2.5 mil so good bye LaFell...Pat Sims gets a mil, and I need him if I'm dumping Peko contract. Sims here until 2018 anyway. ....Dansby at 2 mil, he is gone. They tied up all this money in Burfict, Maualuga and Rey, Dansby out of here. We need a good draft pick at LB anyway....Ced Peerman gets a mil a year, you have to be kidding me. His contract is up and one of the few bright sides to this mess. He is gone....Winston gets a mil and his contract up. Boling insane contact and the draft picks force this guy gone.....

OK, What a mess.....What is the Bottom Line.....Getting rid of Kirkpatrick and Whitworth due to the Boling and Pacman contracts too high and getting rid of Peko, Hunt, Nugent, LaFell, Peerman, Dansby. Winston.....That right there is cutting 41 million but Zeitler gets franchise tag so lets say under 35 mil trimmed back. ...On these other free agents, I'm not paying them big money. If they want to walk, walk...Burkhead, Gilberry, Thompson, Brown, Johnson and Ott...They would trim 5.5 mil off the contracts and help to franchise tag Zeitler....So I'm back in the ball park of having 40 mil to rebuild this lousy team....I like the defense. Hated keeping Pacman over Kirkpatrick but that was Mike Brown, not me. ....The Offensive Line stinks. That needs addressed ASAP going into 2017. I refuse to have no blocking. ....I can do more than fill holes with 40 mil. I can get some real players in here via Free Agency and The Draft. Probably more the draft. I'm not above looking to Canadian Football or Arena Leagues for talent, if talent is there. If somebody can really block in Canada, I would take a look at him in a try out. Our All Pro RT in 1988 Super Bowl Year we got from Canadian Football League. Kurt Warner and Jay Gruden were Arena League. You have to think out of the box as bad as Bengals are. ...The Draft still probably best option. ...Don't blame me for Kirkpatrick and Whitworth gone. Mike Brown let their contracts run out while over paying others. Blame Mike Brown, Not me. ....I take the 40 mil plus whatever under budget team may have been before and try to field a winner in 2017. I think we have defense, but the offense is awful starting with the blocking. Unlike Mike Brown, I do see the need for quality offensive linemen. I would sit down and talk with Whit. Kirkpatrick and their agents, but it seems a lost cause. If they are not signed by now. they are probably as good as gone. The younger Zeitler I franchise tag. I can't franchise tag Kirky because of this insane Pacman contract and all the first round CBs team just drafted. I'm painted into a corner my first year by awful Mike Brown moves.

So if Bengals would hire a GM, which they won't...That new GM would have some lousy Mike Brown contracts that the GM would be forced to live with a few years. ....Any GM hired by Bengals would be shackled to the already existing lousy contracts. ....which force other players contracts not to be resigned at a higher going rate.....This however does not mean a winning team in 2017 is not possible. The Defense is good. The goal is to get an offensive line that can block. That is top priority. Hopefully these O Line draft picks of late get with it. The O Line coach swears by them, so his job and butt are on the line if they don't. Coach Lewis has one last contract year so it is win in 2017 or all coaches could get fired.

Of course Mike Brown thinks he is doing great and everything will remain the same. I played the WHAT IF I WAS GM GAME....but in the end Mike Brown thinks he is doing just great, and not much will change after the 3 or 4 win season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 08:21 AM)kevin Wrote: Taking over as GM, Hand me the Payroll.....Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Iloka top paid, OK, I see that....Boling paid 26 mil into 2020, I can't say I like that. Is he THAT good in the NFL ?...What idiot signed Pacman Jones to 22 mil into 2019.  A team that let Joseph and Hall leave and pays this much money to this aging second rate player. With Kirkpatrick, Dennard and Jackson he is not the future. Can I unload this guy or do we just have to live with this awful contract......Williams, OK...MJ at 20 mil until, 2019. That seems too much, but OK.  Burfict at 19 mil...Gio Bernard at 15 mil until 2020, is he really that good. Send out trade offers to teams on Gio....Maualuga at 15 mil next 2 years...Starting to see some lousy moves by the Brown family....Huber at 14 mil. Seems a lot for a punter but 2 years left on a long contract. OK.....Vincent Rey at 10 mil. That seems high for a guy that often isn't first string...Jackson and Ogbuehi, next, which is right for top picks.....Peko and Whitworth and Kirkpatrick at 9 mil each and now free agents.  These lousy contracts to Pacman and such force me as new GM to cut somewhere. Peko and Whitworth gone and I Franchise Tag Kirkpatrick. ..OR...I say this team paying Pacman and drafting Dennard and Jackson lost us Kirkpatrick...I might then franchise tag Whitworth or let all 3 walk.  Some of these lousy top heavy contracts above have to force cuts in other areas.  Boling, Pacman, Bernard, Rey all over paid.  I can't keep Pacman and Kirkpatrick and Brown Family went nuts and signed Pacman into 2019.  They force me to let Kirkpatrick go also. I hope Dennard and Jackson pan out. .......Eifert and Dennard. OK.....Zeitler contract up. Him I want to keep. Too early to give him away. He gets the Franchise Tag and then I try to resign him longer...Good-bye Whit and Kirkpatrick due to some dumb Brown Family contracts.....Ryan Hewitt at 7.5 mil until 2020, You have to be kidding me. What were the Brown Family doing. Makes no sense. ....Clark Harris at 5 mil, another head scratcher. No wonder this team loses....Fisher, Boyd, Hill OK.....Hunt contract up. Look, they brought back MJ at 20 mil. Hunt has to go like Kirkpatrick due to Pacman. Brown Family caused this, not me......Nugent contract up at 3.5 mil.  Can't even make extra points now. He is out of here.....Oh, here is a CB named Russell at 3 mil until 2020. Another reason Kirkpatrick must go. Thanks Brown Family. ...Vigil and Kroft on 3 mil contracts....OK, who gets paid a mil a year at this point....LaFell is 2.5 mil so good bye LaFell...Pat Sims gets a mil, and I need him if I'm dumping Peko contract. Sims here until 2018 anyway. ....Dansby at 2 mil, he is gone. They tied up all this money in Burfict, Maualuga and Rey, Dansby out of here.  We need a good draft pick at LB anyway....Ced Peerman gets a mil a year, you have to be kidding me. His contract is up and one of the few bright sides to this mess. He is gone....Winston gets a mil and his contract up.  Boling insane contact and the draft picks force this guy gone.....

OK, What a mess.....What is the Bottom Line.....Getting rid of Kirkpatrick and Whitworth due to the Boling and Pacman contracts too high and getting rid of Peko, Hunt, Nugent, LaFell, Peerman, Dansby. Winston.....That right there is cutting 41 million but Zeitler gets franchise tag so lets say under 35 mil trimmed back. ...On these other free agents, I'm not paying them big money. If they want to walk, walk...Burkhead, Gilberry, Thompson, Brown, Johnson and Ott...They would trim 5.5 mil off the contracts and help to franchise tag Zeitler....So I'm back in the ball park of having 40 mil to rebuild this lousy team....I like the defense. Hated keeping Pacman over Kirkpatrick but that was Mike Brown, not me. ....The Offensive Line stinks. That needs addressed ASAP going into 2017. I refuse to have no blocking. ....I can do more than fill holes with 40 mil. I can get some real players in here via Free Agency and The Draft.  Probably more the draft. I'm not above looking to Canadian Football or Arena Leagues for talent, if talent is there. If somebody can really block in Canada, I would take a look at him in a try out. Our All Pro RT in 1988 Super Bowl Year we got from Canadian Football League.  Kurt Warner and Jay Gruden were Arena League. You have to think out of the box as bad as Bengals are. ...The Draft still probably best option. ...Don't blame me for Kirkpatrick and Whitworth gone.  Mike Brown let their contracts run out while over paying others. Blame Mike Brown, Not me. ....I take the 40 mil plus whatever under budget team may have been before and try to field a winner in 2017. I think we have defense, but the offense is awful starting with the blocking. Unlike Mike Brown, I do see the need for quality offensive linemen.  I would sit down and talk with Whit. Kirkpatrick and their agents, but it seems a lost cause. If they are not signed by now. they are probably as good as gone. The younger Zeitler I franchise tag. I can't franchise tag Kirky because of this insane Pacman contract and all the first round CBs team just drafted. I'm painted into a corner my first year by awful Mike Brown moves.

So if Bengals would hire a GM, which they won't...That new GM would have some lousy Mike Brown contracts that the GM would be forced to live with a few years. ....Any GM hired by Bengals would be shackled to the already existing lousy contracts. ....which force other players contracts not to be resigned at a higher going rate.....This however does not mean a winning team in 2017 is not possible.  The Defense is good.  The goal is to get an offensive line that can block. That is top priority.  Hopefully these O Line draft picks of late get with it.  The O Line coach swears by them, so his job and butt are on the line if they don't.  Coach Lewis has one last contract year so it is win in 2017 or all coaches could get fired.

Of course Mike Brown thinks he is doing great and everything will remain the same. I played the WHAT IF I WAS GM GAME....but in the end Mike Brown thinks he is doing just great, and not much will change after the 3 or 4 win season.

I think you are going to be disappointed if you think you can replace Boling for $5 million a year.  Or LaFell for $2.5 million.  Whitworth and Krirkpatrick make $15.5 million this year.  No way you can replace a top LT and CB for less than that. Peko is only making $3.5 million this year.  You are not going to be able to sign a veteran DT for much less than that.

Bernard and Ray may be a little overpaid, but not by a lot. Pacman look soverpaid, but the contract was noit that far out of line when he signed it this offseason after playing so well last year. 

Basically you are going to have to replace most of these guys with players still on their rookie contracts to save a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
I would:

1. Clean house of the coaching staff - Look for a younger hungrier HC with a good understanding of the game, I would immediately replace the position coaches at secondary, line backer, and offensive line, I might even look to replace Guenther. I'd spare Zampese for a year since he's no worse than any of our last offensive coordinators. I wouldn't mind keeping Lewis in some type of management role, but to be honest I wouldn't care if he was gone completely.

2. I'd clean house of our tired ass vets and other shitty players. Peko, Rey M., Vinnie R., Dansby, A. Jones, Bodine, Peerman, Gilberry, Sims, Thompson, Hunt.

3. I'd look to resign both Kirk and Zeitler to deals as well as guys like Lafell and Burkhead.

4. I'd approach the draft with an urgency to upgrade our pass rush at DE, our speed and athleticism at LB, and our C. I would then look to draft for depth along the offensive line and secondary.

5. I would add a few more scouts to the coaching staff.

6. I would not be afraid to bring in a solid free agent or 2.

7. I'd build an indoor practice facility and I'd upgrade the stadium to where it felt like the opposing team was in a closed off arena, I hate the design of Paul Brown Stadium.

8. I'd set a standard for my players and the way that they need to act and play. There would be none of this bush league bullshit going on.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 09:33 AM)Crowe Wrote: I would:

1. Clean house of the coaching staff - Look for a younger hungrier HC with a good understanding of the game, I would immediately replace the position coaches at secondary, line backer, and offensive line, I might even look to replace Guenther. I'd spare Zampese for a year since he's no worse than any of our last offensive coordinators. I wouldn't mind keeping Lewis in some type of management role, but to be honest I wouldn't care if he was gone completely.

Yes he is. 

Hue and Jay Gruden>>>Zampese 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 09:33 AM)Crowe Wrote: I would:

2. I'd clean house of our tired ass vets and other shitty players. Peko, Rey M., Vinnie R., Dansby, A. Jones, Bodine, Peerman, Gilberry, Sims, Thompson, Hunt.

3. I'd look to resign both Kirk and Zeitler to deals as well as guys like Lafell and Burkhead.

4. I'd approach the draft with an urgency to upgrade our pass rush at DE, our speed and athleticism at LB, and our C. I would then look to draft for depth along the offensive line and secondary.

5. I would add a few more scouts to the coaching staff.

6. I would not be afraid to bring in a solid free agent or 2.

7. I'd build an indoor practice facility and I'd upgrade the stadium to where it felt like the opposing team was in a closed off arena, I hate the design of Paul Brown Stadium.

8. I'd set a standard for my players and the way that they need to act and play. There would be none of this bush league bullshit going on.
I like number 7. Maybe we can get some of the tigers from the zoo to pace along the visitors sideline and tunnel. That would be unnerving.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 09:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are going to be disappointed if you think you can replace Boling for $5 million a year.  Or LaFell for $2.5 million.  Whitworth and Krirkpatrick make $15.5 million this year.  No way you can replace a top LT and CB for less than that. Peko is only making $3.5 million this year.  You are not going to be able to sign a veteran DT for much less than that.

Bernard and Ray may be a little overpaid, but not by a lot. Pacman look soverpaid, but the contract was noit that far out of line when he signed it this offseason after playing so well last year. 

Basically you are going to have to replace most of these guys with players still on their rookie contracts to save a lot of money.

Of course the problem with Kirkpatrick, Whitworth. Peko, Zeitler and others is they become free agents in January and If Mike Brown really wanted them they would be resigned by now....So lets blame Mikey on that......Mikey did pay Pacman huge and did draft Dennard and Jackson both in round one just lately.  I can only assume Mikey has planned on letting often injured and slow developing Kirkpatrick go. ...Whit and Peko probably get better offers from other teams.  I think Peko age is showing and Whit looks on the age decline also.  .....LaFell gets no separation and we can do better.  Wright may be better than LaFell right now...........My goal would not be to save money.....Because this will only be a 3 or 4 win season, my goal IS to replace most of these guys with other players. I would refuse to stand pat after a 4 win season. ..........but Mike Brown is in charge and may bring back the entire 4 win team. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I would hire "Stone Cold" Steve Austin to announce our first round pick, then when Goodell goes to shake his hand, Steve gives him the two finger salute, Stunner's his ass, stomps a mud hole in him, and walks it dry.
Reply/Quote
Appoint myself as king of earth then have Florida dug up and moved to Nebraska to build Mount Me and make it mandatory that all citizens of the nation and even non-citizens make at least one pilgrimage to Mount Me every year.
Even though that probably isn't within the scope of a football teams general manager abilities or powers it's my fantasy and I'm sticking to it and you'll all thank me for having lifetime employment moving Florida.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd start a family with a sibling so we can protect our money we don't ***** deserve.
Reply/Quote
Here's what I would do:

1) Extend Marvin's contract 1 year so that he is not a lame duck.
2) Not bring in any free agents, resign only our own guys and build through the draft only.
3) Keep all players/coaches who are currently on a contract. I am not going to pay dead money.
4) Promote coaches from within the organization.
5) Roll over money to next year (saving enough $$ for the injury pool and rookie contracts of course).
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 11:31 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Here's what I would do:

1) Extend Marvin's contract 1 year so that he is not a lame duck.
2) Not bring in any free agents, resign only our own guys and build through the draft only.
3) Keep all players/coaches who are currently on a contract. I am not going to pay dead money.
4) Promote coaches from within the organization.
5) Roll over money to next year (saving enough $$ for the injury pool and rookie contracts of course).
Thinking outside the box... I like it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 09:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes he is. 

Hue and Jay Gruden>>>Zampese 

Hue is extremely overrated and Gruden was worse than Hue. If the oline would play as well as they did the last few years no one would be talking about changing OC's. Dalton is 3rd in the AFC in yards and would have more TD"s if Eifert didn't miss the first 6 games and there weren't so many dropped TD's. Neither Gruden or Hue would be doing any better with this team offensively the years they were OC here if the oline play was the same as what Zampese is dealing with this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 10:01 AM)jason Wrote: I like number 7. Maybe we can get some of the tigers from the zoo to pace along the visitors sideline and tunnel. That would be unnerving.

I could dig that. Or maybe we could get some Harambes out there rofl.
Reply/Quote
Great thread idea.

1. Fire the entire coaching staff and hire an offensive mind (McCarthy or Todd Haley) and let him fill out his staff.

2. Convince Mikey to build a damn practice facility.

3. Reshape the roster. Allow aging vets like Gilberry to walk. Sign Zeit and DreKirk to fair contracts, but don't overpay if the market is over the top.

4. Trade McCarron to build up picks to reshape the roster.

5. Target a good RT, WR and K in FA. Draft the future LT with our top 10 pick. This should be enough (combined with a good new o-line coach) to improve this o-line pretty much overnight. Keep Ogabooboo as a developmental swing tackle, ala Anthony Collins.

I really don't think it'd be hard to turn this team back into a contender right away. The problem is, Mike Brown is a tool and won't do much if any of this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote