Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crook
Spring Training brings out a host of players with unusual names. There is a guy named Crook. I was just imagining the announcer saying Crook stole a base or stole home. lol
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Has he ever played for the Astros?
Reply/Quote
Maybe, he would have stolen a sign.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Remember Brian Asslestien of the Braves? That one was funny.. Tongue He always sounded like Assholestien.. Even the Braves announcers questioned even mentioning his name..LOL How would you like to have grown up with a name like Asslestien? Correction...spelled Brian Asselstine.. Played OF 6 years for them..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: LOL How would you like to have grown up with a name like Asslestien? 

Pronunciation makes all the difference.

Back in the '80's there was a RB named George Shorthose who played for Missouri.  And it was pronounced "short-hose".

If I was a guy growing up with that name I would at least pronounce it "shor-those".
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pronunciation makes all the difference.

Back in the '80's there was a RB named George Shorthose who played for Missouri.  And it was pronounced "short-hose".

If I was a guy growing up with that name I would at least pronounce it "shor-those".

I'm not sure there was any nice way to repronounce Asslestine. It was almost like a mix between A-hole and Frankenstein.. I'm sure kids were more than cruel to him growing up. Heck, I was cruel to the poor guy when I first hear his name and I'm generally not the type to make fun of people's names, but his name is just too much to resist.. Nervous Then again I grew up with the name Marty-farty. Now it's my personal badge of courage. I'll forever embrace my inner farty-isms..
That aside, when was the last time anyone ever decided to be politically correct when poking fun of someone's name? It just doesn't happen in the real world. If you're born with a really crummy name you either sink or swim or just change your name when you can..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote