Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iglesias and Votto
The biggest key to winning this year may not be the new players. It could very well be players we already had returning to their usual level of production.

After three straight years with an ERA under 2.53 Raisel's ballooned to 4.16 last year. Right now the bullpen is the weakest part of this team. If Iglesias can regain his form it could transform our season.

Just 2 years ago Joey Votto finished 2nd in the MVP voting when hit .320 with 36 home runs and led the NL in OPS (1.032) and OB% (.454). I don't expect him to reach that level again, but if he is healthy he should improve dramatically from las seasons .261 avg, 15 HR and .768 OPS.

Due to his age Votto (36) may be finished, but Iglesias is still just 30. There is no reason he should not regain his form.
Reply/Quote
You are asking a lot for these guys to improve. I would like to see it, but I am skeptical. One thing about age for a professional player usually means on the down slide as you get older.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:38 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You are asking a lot for these guys to improve. I would like to see it, but I am skeptical. One thing about age for a professional player usually means on the down slide as you get older.

Iglesias is only 30.  He is in his prime.  And I am not asking him to improve.  I am just asking him to pitch like he has before.

Votto's problems could have something to do with age.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Iglesias is only 30.  He is in his prime.  And I am not asking him to improve.  I am just asking him to pitch like he has before.

Votto's problems could have something to do with age.

I expect Iglesias to bounce back and we need him to bad. Every time I watch Votto bat the more I think he's done and I believe most of his problem is above the neck. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Iglesias is Bell's square peg in a world of round holes and Bell always has his hammer in close reach. If he keeps dragging him out in middle innings I see nothing good coming from it. I realize yesterday's outing was just in ST, but dammit Bell! STOP IT before it becomes a habit.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Iglesias is Bell's square peg in a world of round holes and Bell always has his hammer in close reach. If he keeps dragging him out in middle innings I see nothing good coming from it. I realize yesterday's outing was just in ST, but dammit Bell! STOP IT before it becomes a habit.

I've thought a couple times during ST boy this is right up Bell's alley. He gets to play musical players basically the whole game long. I hope he settles down a bit with that from last season when this season starts.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've thought a couple times during ST boy this is right up Bell's alley. He gets to play musical players basically the whole game long. I hope he settles down a bit with that from last season when this season starts.

I get that nagging feeling Bell will always be the type who just thinks he can squeeze anyone into the wrong spot. Why not use Votto as a pinch runner when you desperately need a stolen base? Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote