Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iglesias should get chance to be THE CLOSER
Just as Reds announcers were saying how Iglesias says he wants to be the closer, and how he has adjusted to the bullpen well,  BANG, he strikes out Cubs Bryant who has just been killing the Reds pitching. It ended the inning. .....I don't see what the Reds have to lose.   Hoover sure wasn't the answer.  I remember when we had Weathers and closer by committee and they were awful....Then Cordero and Chapman gave us a solid closer over the years....Why not try Iglesias at CLOSER......He wants the job, and the job should be wide open for him to have a shot at it.  Nobody else has been getting it done since Chapman gone from Reds. 

The road back from futility has to begin somewhere, and if Iglesias can become a good closer for the Reds, that's a huge step forward in trying to not be as lousy in 2017. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Starting pitching is much more important than closer.

But we need both.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Starting pitching is much more important than closer.

But we need both.

Yes, we need both.....Iglesias was always a relief pitcher before he became a Red.....Reds tried him last year as a starter, but now Reds have him in bullpen.......Add that all up and the fact he wants to be a closer and probably could be the best closer Reds could have, it's worth a try.......In modern day baseball, the bullpen may be more important than the starters, and the closer may be most important pitcher on the team......I say let him have his wish and use him as the closer......The starters, well, they need a huge upgrade before 2017 season, as does the rest of bullpen, but finding closer is a start. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I would be fine with naming Iglesias the premiere reliever for this bullpen. But I think he should be used very differently from Chapman. Chapman was a 9th inning reliever. He came in when the game was won and they wanted to keep the fans through the game.

That kind of shit doesn't matter in MLB baseball anymore. Closers have been statistically proven to not be a useful role for a great pitcher.

Iglesias should be the pitcher that we bring in when we NEED to get people out. Not exclusively when we have a lead and want to close the door.
Reply/Quote
The Reds aren't really even close enough to win most games right now. They need a closer right now almost as much as I need a offshore account to hide my social security check.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote