Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Illinois NAACP leader says some very bad things
This article is pretty much self-explanatory

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/naacp-leader-slammed-for-racial-slurs-in-leaked-video/ar-AA1lJsXk?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9ebfda3d261e432480370d1f7f731331&ei=83

Quote:In a recent controversy, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in Illinois has been criticized. NAACP Illinois State Conference President Teresa Haley is under fire for her remarks against immigrants.

The top civil rights leader appeared in a video spewing discriminatory comments about immigrants during a leadership meeting on Zoom. According to the recorded clip from the virtual conference, Haley called migrants “savages.” Also, she claimed that migrants are raping people in the Chicago community.

In an interview, former NAACP DuPage County President Patrick Watson said top NAACP leaders throughout Illinois met on October 26. However, Haley presided over the meeting. He also revealed that Haley’s comments stemmed from the discussion about the migrant crisis in Chicago.
“The comments came up when some Chicago-based presidents started to talk about the migrant crisis,” Watson said. In addition, he revealed that they had “different opinions about some of the resources that were going to the community.”

Although Watson said, “It’s okay to have a different opinion,” he condemned Haley’s remarks. “But President Haley engaged in what I would call absolute hate speech,” he said.

According to the clip provided by Watson, Haley and meeting members discussed the influx of migrants in Chicago. “What’s happening in Chicago is a shame,” Haley says, “and it’s a crime.”

She and others explain how the Black community of Chicago lacks resources. Also, they claim migrants receive more attention and care from state and federal authorities. “The busloads are coming, and we’re seeing families on the street,” Haley says.

In addition, she pointed out that homeless Black people have not received the same help as migrants because of stereotypes. She said that many view Black people on the streets as “drug addicts” and people battling mental health issues.

Afterward, Haley ironically dishes her set of hostile generalizations about migrants. “But these immigrants we got coming over here, they have been raping people, they have been breaking into homes,” she said.

“They’re like savages as well.” Haley added that migrants “don’t speak the language, and they look at Black people like we’re crazy.” In an attempt to excuse her rant, the NAACP leader said, “I’m trying not to be a n—-.”

However, Haley’s remarks quickly incited widespread criticism. Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker was among those who decried Haley’s comments publicly. He called her comment “reprehensible” and said, “I would hope that she would apologize for the remarks.” Also, Pritzker emphasized the integral role of immigrants in the larger American society.

In his interview, Watson also called out Haley for her statement. “I was absolutely horrified,” Watson told The Daily Beast. “To think that this is someone who is a leader in the African American community here, within the civil rights movement, and she would be openly saying these things about another group of marginalized people, it was reprehensible.”

ALSO READ: Union Leader Under Fire for Late Opening of Schools Post-COVID

Also, Watson noted that Haley’s comments were similar to what former President Trump has said at his political rallies. In addition, Watson revealed that the meeting in October was not the only time Haley made questionable statements. “She made comments about the LGBTQ community,” Watson explained.

“She spoke about a conference call that she was on where there were individuals that had their pronouns. .. And she said something along the lines of, ‘The national organization is becoming more diverse. We’ve got people there that call themselves they, them, it. What the hell is that?”

However, he said the xenophobic statements were the “final, final straw.” Consequently, Watson resigned, saying he could no longer work under Haley or her “abhorrent” speech. On the other hand, despite the outrage and the video evidence, Haley denies making the statements.

She told ABC Chicago while on vacation in Dubai that she didn’t make the statements in the video. “With Al, anything is possible,” she told the local news outlet. However, Watson said, “She has a history of twisting the truth.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like stated, indeed stuff that Trump would say. Which means it's bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 11:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: Like stated, indeed stuff that Trump would say. Which means it's bad.

The difference is that this person was called out for her hate speech by her own peers and constituents.  Trump's crowd praises and excuses him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 11:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: Like stated, indeed stuff that Trump would say. Which means it's bad.

(12-19-2023, 11:50 AM)pally Wrote: The difference is that this person was called out for her hate speech by her own peers and constituents.  Trump's crowd praises and excuses him

Trump was nowhere mentioned in that article.  Is by invoking his name somehow supposed to lessen the severity of the true feelings expressed by a supposed leader of an association for the advancement of colored people?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 12:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trump was nowhere mentioned in that article.  Is by invoking his name somehow supposed to lessen the severity of the true feelings expressed by a supposed leader of an association for the advancement of colored people?

it is calling out the reaction to the hate speech.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Is what she said more hate speech or leans more towards facts. If it's the latter, then it's not hate speech but more about the reality of the situation that should not be happening to begin with.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 12:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trump was nowhere mentioned in that article.  Is by invoking his name somehow supposed to lessen the severity of the true feelings expressed by a supposed leader of an association for the advancement of colored people?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Also, Watson noted that Haley’s comments were similar to what former President Trump has said at his political rallies. In addition, Watson revealed that the meeting in October was not the only time Haley made questionable statements. “She made comments about the LGBTQ community,” Watson explained.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I'll be attacked for this by the usual suspects, but this doesn't surprise me at all. Speaking generally, which is very important to acknowledge in order to have an adult conversation on this issue, the Black community is, by quite a bit, the most racist if we're speaking of ethnicities. There are, of course, racists in every ethnicity, but it is very prevalent in the Black community. It's not just me saying this, it's many of the Black people I know and have worked with or been friends with for decades. I don't at all think that black people are more inclined to be racist than any other ethnicity. But I do think, and many I talk to agree, that racism in the Black community is rarely, if ever called out. White people won't dare do it. Not calling it out is seen as at least tacit acceptance, which allows it to thrive.

Reply/Quote

Yes, he was.

"Also, Watson noted that Haley’s comments were similar to what former President Trump has said at his political rallies. In addition, Watson revealed that the meeting in October was not the only time Haley made questionable statements. “She made comments about the LGBTQ community,” Watson explained."

Hadn't brought him up if that weren't so.

Also, I said it clearly that the comments were indeed bad. There's no question, I don't defend Ms. Haley in any way. I do think, however, that it's fair to wonder why Trump does not earn the same scrutiny for saying equally bad things.

Oh PS sorry, Dino was faster, oversight on my part.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 01:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Is what she said more hate speech or leans more towards facts. If it's the latter, then it's not hate speech but more about the reality of the situation that should not be happening to begin with.

Calling people savages based on their race, ethnicity, or nation of origin is hate speech. Anyone on this board that uses language like that will be banned. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 10:10 PM)treee Wrote: Calling people savages based on their race, ethnicity, or nation of origin is hate speech. Anyone on this board that uses language like that will be banned. 

I know the rules and fully agree with that. This is one of the reasons why I will never vote for Trump. I didn't read everything this person said tho. Just the part about the crimes she claims are being committed, which is why I asked if there was some truth to that. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 12:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I know the rules and fully agree with that. This is one of the reasons why I will never vote for Trump. I didn't read everything this person said tho. Just the part about the crimes she claims are being committed, which is why I asked if there was some truth to that. 

I figured that was what happened, I just didn't want to leave any ambiguity.
Reply/Quote
I’ll probably go to my grave believing everybody is racist. I myself try not to be racist. But can’t help but believe we are animals. And we have certain things ingrained in our DNA. And back in the day, when a tribe of people were out fighting for survival, I would bet everything if they came across a tribe that didn’t look like them, they didn’t offer them food and seat beside the fire.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 10:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’ll probably go to my grave believing everybody is racist.

(Always cracked me up that the same writer ended up later writing Let It Go for Frozen.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 10:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’ll probably go to my grave believing everybody is racist. I myself try not to be racist. But can’t help but believe we are animals. And we have certain things ingrained in our DNA. And back in the day, when a tribe of people were out fighting for survival, I would bet everything if they came across a tribe that didn’t look like them, they didn’t offer them food and seat beside the fire.

Well it’s definitely in our brains, but they don’t have to look different than you, that just makes it easier to identify people not of your clan.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote