Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iloka surprising PFF #S - Monster Safety
(06-15-2015, 11:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's kind of the quiet, unsung hero (not that he's played well enough to be the hero, even in those terms, but you get what I'm saying), and I always wanted a Troy P or Ronnie Lott-type guy that's in-the-box and laying the wood, but the NFL is evolving so much that a guy with the type of range that Iloka has and can lay the wood deeper in the secondary is completely fine.

Our backers, especially if Burfict is out even longer, along with our free safety position, look like our only weaknesses on the team, but, otherwise, I'm PUMPED about this D.

Reggie Nelson is a weakness on this team since when? Shocked
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Whatever happened to Taylor Mays? We took a bust, given up by his former team and made him a solid player, who'd he end up signing with?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 06:04 AM)Bryan Wrote: Whatever happened to Taylor Mays? We took a bust, given up by his former team and made him a solid player, who'd he end up signing with?

vikings
Reply/Quote
Iloka was one of the few that never lost heart and kept playing even in the blowout games last year. Let's hope they sign him and quick !
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:42 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: This is further proof that Vance Joseph and Mark Carrier are some of the best at what they do.  Hats off to them and Iloka for keeping the D respectable without a great pass rush last season.  Scary to think what that secondary would do with better play up front.

Great points. Pretty amazing, i really liked Coyle before Carrier and Joseph got here but these guys are doing a great
job with our Secondary. Iloka is like a mixture between Cam Chancellor and Ed Reed if he keeps it up. Dude can cover
and lay the wood in a rare way. Special player.

This Secondary could be the best in the league if Dre and Dennard also live up to their Draft status.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 01:12 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF  2h2 hours ago
Throwing at Bengals S George IIoka was a mistake last year.  Allowed 0 TDs, and a QB rating of just 18.4, NFL best.

Thats just awesome. I really hope they re-sign him.
He may not be a crazy safety like Polamalu but he's played brilliantly

What I like best is he does exactly what the team asks him to do.  A great example of coaching a player to fit the system.  I love his toughness and athleticism. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 05:48 AM)CincyProduct Wrote: Reggie Nelson is a weakness on this team since when? Shocked

I wouldn't necessarily say weakness in terms of poor play in the average sense, but I just think that he's a weakness in terms of the caliber safety that we want on our D.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 06:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: vikings

Well they cut him today.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily say weakness in terms of poor play in the average sense, but I just think that he's a weakness in terms of the caliber safety that we want on our D.

I disagree and think he is one of the better FS in the league and has been for a while. Name all the safeties better than him that play FS....even though Marvin doesnt like lables on his safties. Is he getting older yes!!! I have yet to see any drop off in his game though.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 01:23 PM)J24 Wrote: I hope he is one of those guys we sign in August to a long term deal. The guy is the perfect Safety for todays NFL he can cover a ton of ground and has the length to contest passes.

Yeah...  On top of being physically gifted, Iloka is a really sharp guy too.  He's one of the better interviews on Bengals Line.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 08:30 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: I disagree and think he is one of the better FS in the league and has been for a while. Name all the safeties better than him that play FS....even though Marvin doesnt like lables on his safties. Is he getting older yes!!! I have yet to see any drop off in his game though.

Nelson hasn't really been a FS for about 2-3 years. 
He's been the in the box safety. Iloka stays back and Nelson up. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 08:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Nelson hasn't really been a FS for about 2-3 years. 
He's been the in the box safety. Iloka stays back and Nelson up. 

Pretty much but he lines up in the traditional FS spot, and when probowl voting happens he goes up for the FS spot..No doubt he has played more box, but he has not been exclusive to the box. And it also depends on the team they play and what that offense likes to do. I actually like his roll especially against the Broncos. And it also exemplifies what marvin saids his safeties have no labels.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 06:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: My guess is that the Bengals have never been a team to spend a ton of money at the safety spot.

Except the contract for Nelson a couple years ago, 4yrs $18 mill.

I think they'd go high 20's, $7 mill a year for  Iloka. Somewhere in between Chancellor at $28 mil and Burnett at $24 mill.
Reply/Quote