Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Im gonna get slammed..Id consider trading Geno.
(01-04-2019, 04:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  The highest paid players on defense are generally 3TDT(besides Mack).

No they aren't. 11 edge rushers make 14 Million or more and only 9 interior lineman make that.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:04 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't want to trade him I am just saying we could get good value for him. The OP point is pretty stupid if I am being honest.

Still, it seems you're considering Geno's talent, but not his age or contract. Those are huge factors in trades. 

I've seen some big talents get traded for 3rd/4th round picks, largely due to age/contract. 

How many trades can you list where a 31 year old defensive player netted a 1st rounder?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I knew Id get slammed. I understand. Hes a immensly talented DT.
but no one has told me why he underformed against big volume passing teams like the Saints Steelers and Cheifs.
Brees Rothlisberger Mahomes had clean jerseys.
no one has explained why his numbers looked very average after week 8.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I knew Id get slammed. I understand. Hes a immensly talented DT.
but no one has told me why he underformed against big volume passing teams like the Saints Steelers and Cheifs.

Injuries made an already thin pass rush even thinner. No one else is helping Geno collapse that pocket. 

When our pass rush was at it's best, we had multiple guys getting to the QB. Atkins, Dunlap, Frostee, Fanene, Gilberry, MJ, etc. Good depth and rotations. It was a feeding frenzy. At this point, it's Atkins and Dunlap by themselves. Not only are they not getting free sacks from pressure others produce, they're getting 100% of the attention from blockers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would try to trade Burfict for a 3rd day draft pick.
Funny how fans expect Geno to be destroying QB on every play when he is double team even triple team by defenses.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At some point, the Bengals are going to have to rebuild. If they cant get it done within the next couple of seasons by the time Dalton's contract is up, I would be all for a fire sale and starting the rebuild.

Trade Geno, AJ, Dunlap, etc.

People forget how quickly an NFL team can rebuild. Teams can turn it around within 1-2 years as long as they draft well and find impact guys. Look at the Eagles, Rams, Bears, etc.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still, it seems you're considering Geno's talent, but not his age or contract. Those are huge factors in trades. 

I've seen some big talents get traded for 3rd/4th round picks, largely due to age/contract. 

How many trades can you list where a 31 year old defensive player netted a 1st rounder?
It doesn't happen because teams don't want to trade great players not because they don't have value. Why would the Bengals trade Geno when they just locked him up on a huge contract?
Also how many DTs like Geno ever become available?  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: At some point, the Bengals are going to have to rebuild. If they cant get it done within the next couple of seasons by the time Dalton's contract is up, I would be all for a fire sale and starting the rebuild.

Trade Geno, AJ, Dunlap, etc.

People forget how quickly an NFL team can rebuild. Teams can turn it around within 1-2 years as long as they draft well and find impact guys. Look at the Eagles, Rams, Bears, etc.

Those three teams all made a coaching change that put them over the top. They signed or traded for a key player or two as well. It's tweaking more than rebuilding. The Browns have been rebuilding for decades, and it netted them a third place finish... Though their fans and some of ours act like they made the playoffs. The Bears, Eagles, and Rams tweaked, and brought in the right coaches, and took their divisions overnight.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:41 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It doesn't happen because teams don't want to trade great players not because they don't have value. Why would the Bengals trade Geno when they just locked him up on a huge contract?
Also how many DTs like Geno ever become available?  

So let's use that then and assume we get a 1st....how do you replace Geno then? You just said he's great so now we have a whole in the middle of our already horrible defense. Do we draft a player? Is that guy we are getting for let's say a mid to late 1st going to be Geno? Odds say probably not but it's possible. If so win? Stats say it'll take a couple years. What did we really gain in that even if I concede, which I'm not, that we could get a 1st for him?

Nothing in this thread makes any sense in terms of why you would trade him, and what kind of value you could get for him. Maybe we need a "trades we should make" sub forum?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: So let's use that then and assume we get a 1st....how do you replace Geno then? You just said he's great so now we have a whole in the middle of our already horrible defense. Do we draft a player? Is that guy we are getting for let's say a mid to late 1st going to be Geno? Odds say probably not but it's possible. If so win? Stats say it'll take a couple years. What did we really gain in that even if I concede, which I'm not, that we could get a 1st for him?

Nothing in this thread makes any sense in terms of why you would trade him, and what kind of value you could get for him. Maybe we need a "trades we should make" sub forum?
1.) I am against trading Geno; I think it's a stupid idea 
2.) All I am arguing is what his value would be to other teams; in know shape or form would I ever entetain trading him unless it was ungodly in our favor.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
no

Reply/Quote
Actually Geno is relatively cheap for the rest of his contract because his he already been paid all of the guaranteed money. If they trade him now they would have to pay 10 mil in dead cap money. You would have to be a complete homer to think he could bring a high first rounder.
Reply/Quote
The ONLY time you consider trading one of your best players is if you are strapped against the cap or someone offers you some really good picks for him (like Washington giving up a 1st and 3rd for Big Daddy back int he day)

Trading away guys like Green, Atkins, or anyone else that is a great player and respected leader on the team is down right foolish. You don't trade away a proven Pro-Bowl player for a lottery ticket first rounder. The draft is a crapshoot. You're not getting a top 5 or top 10 pick for Geno or Green. That makes the pick in the 15-30 range. Those guys are hit and miss at best.
Reply/Quote
Geno's game isn't power. He struggles against physical guards in the run game.

He tore up his knee against Incognito and Steelers OL overpowers him.

He needs a true NT to protect him and absorb the double Teams and allow him to penetrate and wreak havoc. Peko did that, but Billings hasn't.

He does have trade value, despite his age and salary.

But it's better to draft one of the big NTs this year and keep Geno. There are several true NTs this year.
Reply/Quote
I'd be open to a rebuild at this point especially if we are going to have a completely new coaching staff. If we are able to acquire a first round pick for a DT on the wrong side of 30, i'd be for it. He's due nearly 20 million per year.....that's a lot of money.

If we aren't in rebuild mode and we want to make another run then hell no you don't trade him.

If i was running the show, i'd see how we start next season. If we are off to a slow start, i'd consider trading everyone, including Atkins.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I knew Id get slammed. I understand. Hes a immensly talented DT.

Did you watch the games? Our linebackers got shredded with the quick passes. Hard to get to a QB when he can pass off the short routes consistently....
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Injuries made an already thin pass rush even thinner. No one else is helping Geno collapse that pocket. 

When our pass rush was at it's best, we had multiple guys getting to the QB. Atkins, Dunlap, Frostee, Fanene, Gilberry, MJ, etc. Good depth and rotations. It was a feeding frenzy. At this point, it's Atkins and Dunlap by themselves. Not only are they not getting free sacks from pressure others produce, they're getting 100% of the attention from blockers.

This. Right. Here.

Once Lawson and Glasgow went down.....what little of a party there was, was over.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote