Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Imagine This Offseason
Note: Before I start, please know that I understand that any and all of this is incredibly unlikley to happen, to the point of being almost impossible.  It's just meant to be for fun.  If a thead like this isn't your idea of fun, no biggie.  I just don't need reminding it's a waste of time.  Also, know that everything I'm about to say isn't calling for the moon, or becoming the Dallas Cowboys, these are reasonable developments for an average spending franchise. This is how a normal franchise might approach this offseason, to counter the disgust by their fanbase.

--January 3rd (Shortly After Ravens Game):  Bengals put out a press release, essentially saying that they understand fans frustrations with the disappointment that was 2020, and that they will be having a press conference the following day, Monday, January 4th, to discuss it.

--January 4th (Press Conference):  Bengals announce the hiring of a new GM (this has been in the works for weeks).  They also announce that they're parting ways with Zac Taylor, and will let their new GM and new HC build out their staff.  Any existing coaches are free to explore other options if they choose to not to wait to see if they make the cut.

--Mid January to Early Feb:  New GM (insert your favorite name here) announces the hiring of Eric Bienemy (or your favorite) to be your next coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

--Throughout Jan to Mid Feb:  GM, and Bienemy (or Joe Brady, or whoever you like) build out their coaching staff.  Qualified and name coaches are hired, signifying that a.) Guys want to be here and b.) Spending didn't prohibit us from attracting talent

--Feb-March--Team slowly announces additions to the scouting department, and state they'll continue looking for for talent they believe can help their ball club in this department

--Feb-March--Press Release: The new slogan is: The Dey is Now.  They attatch a well put together release that backs this up and creates excitement.

--Feb-March--Press Release: Bengals Unveil new uniforms that they worked with Nike.  They're cool as shit, and show that a new era is upon us.

--Creating space: Bengals move a ton of money off the books by moving on from Geno, Bobby Hart, Uzomah and Erickson (Frees up roughly 22 million) Maybe rework Gio deals with an extension to bring the annual hit down.

--Free Agency -- Team signs two guards for a combined total of 15-20 mil per.  Sign a 10 mil LB or a 10 mil TE. Fills out depth with decent, cheaper vets eager to come up on board.  Most of all, they're creativem they're and active like last year.

--Draft: Take Sewell at #3.  Take a speedy WR in the 2nd or stud DL.  May make trade to target a player higher than their position.

--OL now looks like this: Sewell, Free Agent G, Hopkins, Free Agent G, Jonah Williams.

--Press Release: Team announces a team Hall of Fame that will be constructed on the PBS grounds.  Announce members, and invite names like Munoz, Boomer, Collinsworth, Dillon, Chad Johnson, Willie Anderson, etc. to ground breaking ceremony at a later date.

--July: Hold a Fan Fest to kick off the season at PBS that emcompsasses the stadium and/or lots.  Former players are on hand, and there's plenty of entertaiment for both the die-hards and for families. 

--August: Joe Burrow is cleared to play for the start of 2021 season.

--Sept: Profit????

There's obviously a lot of holes in this and it's lacking specifics (Which FA's do we sign, which coaches, who do we draft in rounds 3-7, etc.)  This is just an outline of an offseason that could energize this fanbase to the point of creaming their paints.

New GM, Bienemy (or your favotie), quality asst. coaches, more scouts, new uniforms, a hall of fame, a fun fan event, a healthy Joe Burrow.  None of this would really be that hard to do.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4533805]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I have a dream......and it would go like this.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
My 'never gonna happen' offseason dream scenario starts with firing Zac and Tobin, then raiding the Chiefs by bringing in Mike 'the secret weapon' Borgonzi as the GM and then he brings in Eric Bieniemy as the new head coach. 
Reply/Quote
This is a waste of time, never happen. Ninja

In all seriousness, this would be a GREAT off-season that would really fire up the fanbase.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd like Bienemy or Robert Saleh, but yes this would be awesome. New GM would be amazing honestly.
Reply/Quote
Hiring a GM alone would bring so much goodwill from the fan base.

Reply/Quote
Team will let out the standard tweet/Facebook post stating “thanks to the greatest fans in the nfl” after the final game. And then we won’t hear anything from them until the draft gets closer.

I like your offseason way better, though.
Reply/Quote
Imagine if this offseason the phrase "Mom and Pop organization" left the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
I listen to Pat Kirwin quite a bit and he talks about "team packages" as far as GM/HC. Says he's been told by a number of GM or HC prospects the person would only come in as a package.

Personally I'd like to see us bring in PK, much the way the Raiders brought in Mayock or I'd like to go with Rick Smith . Smith is the guy that built up the Texans before Quinn destroyed it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If you are going to dream big, dream big...

Nov/Dec - Mike Glennon catches fire and Doug Marrone knows he's going to get fired anyway, leading the Jags to improbably pull out two wins in their last five games. Meanwhile the NYG and WFT both go 5-11, with the Giants winning the NFC East. The Bengals lose out, "earning" the second pick.

The new Bengals front office loves Sewell, but sees the opportunity in front of it. They throw the bulk of their cap space at Joe Thuney and Taylor Moton. The offensive line going into the draft is Williams, Thuney, Hopkins, Spain, Moton.

The draft order is NYJ, CIN, JAX, DAL, LAC in the top 5. WFT, DET, DEN, and CHI are 8-11 and all are rumored to want to move up to take a QB.

JAX offers #3 and #35 for #2 to ensure nobody leaps ahead of them for the non-Lawrence QB of their choice. The Bengals happily accept.

WAS is now desperate to get the third remaining QB. They make an offer that the three teams behind them can't match - #8, #40, and a 2nd round pick in 2021. The Bengals are elated.

With the 8th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Bengals reunite Joe Burrow with his favorite college target - Ja'Marr Chase.

The team then uses picks #34, #35, #40, and #66 to begin rebuilding its defense and take an IOL to push/potentially replace Spain.

Like I said, if you are going to dream big...
Reply/Quote
-Ben R retires
-Lamar gets busted for PEDs
-Baker leaves the NFL to pursue a career at White Castle
Reply/Quote
Your step 1 for all of this needed to be someone bought the team. Then everything else would be very likely
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:45 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: If you are going to dream big, dream big...

Nov/Dec - Mike Glennon catches fire and Doug Marrone knows he's going to get fired anyway, leading the Jags to improbably pull out two wins in their last five games.  Meanwhile the NYG and WFT both go 5-11, with the Giants winning the NFC East.  The Bengals lose out, "earning" the second pick.

The new Bengals front office loves Sewell, but sees the opportunity in front of it.  They throw the bulk of their cap space at Joe Thuney and Taylor Moton.  The offensive line going into the draft is Williams, Thuney, Hopkins, Spain, Moton.

The draft order is NYJ, CIN, JAX, DAL, LAC in the top 5.  WFT, DET, DEN, and CHI are 8-11 and all are rumored to want to move up to take a QB.

JAX offers #3 and #35 for #2 to ensure nobody leaps ahead of them for the non-Lawrence QB of their choice.  The Bengals happily accept.  

WAS is now desperate to get the third remaining QB.  They make an offer that the three teams behind them can't match - #8, #40, and a 2nd round pick in 2021.  The Bengals are elated.

With the 8th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Bengals reunite Joe Burrow with his favorite college target - Ja'Marr Chase.

The team then uses picks #34, #35, #40, and #66 to begin rebuilding its defense and take an IOL to push/potentially replace Spain.

Like I said, if you are going to dream big...

Big time rep for this.  It's not often I see someone take the time to provide well-thought trade compensation.  You're draft pick values don't look to me to be unrealistic f somehow this were to ever happen. And really, they're just fun as shit.

PS I would 100% take your proposal over mine.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 04:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:

--January 4th (Press Conference):  Bengals announce the hiring of a new GM (this has been in the works for weeks).  They also announce that they're parting ways with Zac Taylor, and will let their new GM and new HC build out their staff.  Any existing coaches are free to explore other options if they choose to not to wait to see if they make the cut.

--Mid January to Early Feb:  New GM (insert your favorite name here) announces the hiring of Eric Bienemy (or your favorite) to be your next coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

--Throughout Jan to Mid Feb:  GM, and Bienemy (or Joe Brady, or whoever you like) build out their coaching staff.  Qualified and name coaches are hired, signifying that a.) Guys want to be here and b.) Spending didn't prohibit us from attracting talent

--Feb-March--Team slowly announces additions to the scouting department, and state they'll continue looking for for talent they believe can help their ball club in this department

This is the part where it falls apart, if for nothing else other than Covid would make it extremely difficult unless they hire coaches off a Zoom meeting.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is the part where it falls apart, if for nothing else other than Covid would make it extremely difficult unless they hire coaches off a Zoom meeting.

Covid?  In this thread?

Reply/Quote
We don't need new uniforms.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is the part where it falls apart, if for nothing else other than Covid would make it extremely difficult unless they hire coaches off a Zoom meeting.

Mike Brown uses a shell company to donate $500,000 to Mike DeWine's PAC in exchange for 500 doses of the vaccine in January, which he uses for immediate/extended family members and all potential interviewees for open positions.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Covid?  In this thread?

You have to get people into the building to interview and hire them. A new GM and new coaching staff is a lot of people. Just saying, it's not impossible, but it's not going to be as easy as it once was with quarantine times
Reply/Quote

What do you want the coaches to do where they would need to be in person, run routes or something?  Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote