Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Immigrants as scapegoats
So, there is a theory in sociology that is used to try to explain prejudice called the scapegoat theory. It isn't 100% correct for a number of reasons that I won't get into, but the gist is that people will blame another group for their woes and so that fosters this prejudice. Another theory is based on conflict, and that the elites promote this prejudice to benefit themselves.

This isn't to deny that immigration has been an issue for many years, but the interesting thing to think about is how in certain populist movements there have been efforts by populist leaders to focus attention of their followers onto a demographic group to blame for their ills. We've seen this all throughout history where a racial, ethnic, or national group or groups are used as scapegoats to create a foil. This is often used to distract from the growing socioeconomic differences between those in power and the rest of the population. The rich get richer on the backs of the poor while they convince the poor that another group of poor people are to blame. They are taking their jobs, their benefits, etc.

In actuality, poor people that are a part of the majority have more in common with the poor people in the minority group being used as a scapegoat than they do with those that they are being manipulated by.

Just some interesting thoughts.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'm going to share this link again.  It's a good (IMHO) overview of how we got where we are with the whole immigration/border thing.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/25-general-chapman's-last-stand

But Matt I made a similar point (can't remember if it was on this board or elsewhere) within the last month that at some point the majority looks to blame all its ills on a minority.  And who that minority is changes from time to time.  I agree.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-26-2018, 08:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, there is a theory in sociology that is used to try to explain prejudice called the scapegoat theory. It isn't 100% correct for a number of reasons that I won't get into, but the gist is that people will blame another group for their woes and so that fosters this prejudice. Another theory is based on conflict, and that the elites promote this prejudice to benefit themselves.

This isn't to deny that immigration has been an issue for many years, but the interesting thing to think about is how in certain populist movements there have been efforts by populist leaders to focus attention of their followers onto a demographic group to blame for their ills. We've seen this all throughout history where a racial, ethnic, or national group or groups are used as scapegoats to create a foil. This is often used to distract from the growing socioeconomic differences between those in power and the rest of the population. The rich get richer on the backs of the poor while they convince the poor that another group of poor people are to blame. They are taking their jobs, their benefits, etc.

In actuality, poor people that are a part of the majority have more in common with the poor people in the minority group being used as a scapegoat than they do with those that they are being manipulated by.

I've mentioned something similar before as to why suicides rates are much higher for white males.

They have no one to blame for their failures. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-26-2018, 09:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've mentioned something similar before as to why suicides rates are much higher for white males.

Right.  There were zero white males marching throught Charlottesvile blaming minorities for ruining this country.
(12-27-2018, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  There were zero white males marching throught Charlottesvile blaming minorities for ruining this country.

That is correct, Fred. They were too busy taking responsibility for themselves to attend a hate march.
(12-26-2018, 08:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, there is a theory in sociology that is used to try to explain prejudice called the scapegoat theory. It isn't 100% correct for a number of reasons that I won't get into, but the gist is that people will blame another group for their woes and so that fosters this prejudice. Another theory is based on conflict, and that the elites promote this prejudice to benefit themselves.

These are not mutually exclusive.  E.g. elites mobilize already existing populist prejudices and grievances to maintain power.
(12-27-2018, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  There were zero white males marching throught Charlottesvile blaming minorities for ruining this country.

Heck, there's one in the white house doing that right now. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-26-2018, 09:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've mentioned something similar before as to why suicides rates are much higher for white males.

Spend some time around some IIIers, alt righters, etc. There's plenty to blame. Women, transgenders,  blacks, Hispanics, etc. They rarely focus on the "economic" part of the socioeconomic differences.

(12-29-2018, 06:24 AM)Dill Wrote: That is correct, Fred. They were too busy taking responsibility for themselves to attend a hate march.

Just reporting on what I heard during an NPR interview as something germane to the subject at hand. No intention of making it a divisive issue.

(01-02-2019, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just reporting on what I heard during an NPR interview as something germane to the subject at hand. No intention of making it a divisive issue.

When you make a post disagreeing with the OPs assertion that minorities are used as scape goats then you should understand that people might disagree with you.

Maybe you just haven't been around here enough to understand how it works.  Rolleyes
(01-02-2019, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you make a post disagreeing with the OPs assertion that minorities are used as scape goats then you should understand that people might disagree with you.

Maybe you just haven't been around here enough to understand how it works.  Rolleyes

Didn't say it was unexpected

(12-29-2018, 06:32 AM)Dill Wrote: These are not mutually exclusive.  E.g. elites mobilize already existing populist prejudices and grievances to maintain power.

I'm aware. But I'm also aware that anything as nuanced as discussing the co-existence of these paradigms is beyond the comprehension of some people in this forum. So I try to keep it simple.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Call it what you want.
I believe that American's should put Americans first on their own soil, regardless of age/sex/race/social economic factors, unfortunately both sides will play it up for their benefit and keep us divided instead of addressing the issue and making life better for All Americans.
(01-02-2019, 08:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Call it what you want.
I believe that American's should put Americans first on their own soil, regardless of age/sex/race/social economic factors, unfortunately both sides will play it up for their benefit and keep us divided instead of addressing the issue and making life better for All Americans.

I don't think "both sides" keep us divided or benefit from division. 

What is your view on universal human rights? 

Should these be respected by US law or replaced by some version of "national" rights?
(01-02-2019, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just reporting on what I heard during an NPR interview as something germane to the subject at hand. No intention of making it a divisive issue.

White male suicide is germane to the discussion, but it needs to be more closely mapped onto the scapegoating phenomenon or the relevance is not clear. To state that white males have no one to blame implies other demographics do have someone to blame, hence lower suicide rates for them. One implication of which is that blaming others may be better for mental health.  Another is that white males have it tougher than anyone else, in part because they take responsibility for their own actions. Is that what you were reporting?
(01-03-2019, 12:36 AM)Dill Wrote: I don't think "both sides" keep us divided or benefit from division. 

What is your view on universal human rights? 

Should these be respected by US law or replaced by some version of "national" rights?

Ask the Native Americans

(01-03-2019, 12:44 AM)Dill Wrote: White male suicide is germane to the discussion, but it needs to be more closely mapped onto the scapegoating phenomenon or the relevance is not clear. To state that white males have no one to blame implies other demographics do have someone to blame, hence lower suicide rates for them. One implication of which is that blaming others may be better for mental health.  Another is that white males have it tougher than anyone else, in part because they take responsibility for their own actions. Is that what you were reporting?

I'm aware. But I'm also aware that anything as nuanced as discussing the co-existence of these paradigms is beyond the comprehension of some people in this forum. So I try to keep it simple.

(01-03-2019, 01:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ask the Native Americans

Native Americans know OtherMike's view of Human rights?
(01-03-2019, 01:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm aware. But I'm also aware that anything as nuanced as discussing the co-existence of these paradigms is beyond the comprehension of some people in this forum. So I try to keep it simple.

Er, which paradigms?
So when the majority blames the 1%ers for all their ills, is that the same thing? Ninja
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall