Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immigration Compromise
If we don't want them coming here, we can just send the jobs there:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/watch-1-400-people-learn-030718813.html

Quote:A crowd of Carrier manufacturing workers erupted into anger Wednesday as they learned their plant was being relocated to Monterrey, Mexico.

Carrier, an Indianapolis-based heating, ventilation and air conditioning company owned by United Technologies, announced in a statement on Wednesday that the plant would undergo a three-year transition to Mexico starting in 2017.
BTW over or under is at 4
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
 Trump weighs in.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/trump-weighs-in-on-carrier-relocation-to-mexico

Trump for president.
I'd love to know how you do this and protect the competitiveness of your corporations without unleashing a new era of global trade wars.

Because I actually don't think the idea is wrong, and I say that as a big believer in free markets and global trade.  But the reality is when companies outsource - and often they have to in order to remain competitive in the long-run - while profits may tick up 5-10% for a few years the reality is you're losing 80% of the economic value created by those jobs.  THAT is the real transfer of wealth/redistribution.  Some of that money comes back to the US, but much of it goes to local economies and to other global producers.

Manufacturing is all going to low-wage countries, that's the global trend and even places like China are seeing those jobs go to even cheaper labor in other emerging markets.  But it's only temporary - eventually the vast majority of those jobs are all going to be done by robots...and probably only 10-20 years away.

I've really been toying with the idea, though.  One of the current struggles or economic malaise is the inability of central banks to jumpstart modest inflation.  A combination of tariffs and outsourcing restrictions would be inherently inflationary, and might be a more effective lever to use in longer-term inflation trends and the "right tool" in combination with central banks focusing on the short-end of the yield curve.
this isn't anything new. Goes back to the 80s-90s.
Why do people want us to be stuck as a manufacturing nation? We're more advanced than that. Learn a new school or go to school.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-13-2016, 09:23 PM)Benton Wrote: this isn't anything new. Goes back to the 80s-90s.

Aye!

I remember being told in high school (82-87) we'd never make anything if didn't go to college!  Very re for me.  I was no good at manual labor.  I still can't hammer a nail straight!   Smirk

But by the time I graduated college (1991) the new thing was you needed a masters to really move up!

I didn't do that.  Rather I went out and got a job in my field (radio), move to a completely different job (furniture moving / rentals / sales) and then moved again three years later to ANOTHER completely different industry where I have been for 17 years.

It just took me a while to figure out the only skill I have is talking.  I've made three careers out of it so far!  Tongue

But back on point:  We've taken those low skill jobs that were so necessary and paid well and companies now know there are so many workers flooding the market they don't have to treat anyone well unless it is a very specific job need.

Meanwhile corporate profits go through the roof, CEO pay keeps getting further and further away from employee pay and the cycle continues.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-14-2016, 10:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Why do people want us to be stuck as a manufacturing nation? We're more advanced than that. Learn a new school or go to school.

So are you going to force parents to be actually attentive parents? The reason we need manufacturing is to handle the glut of low education workers who grew up with school not as a priority. We need a balance.
It doesn't work like this.

If every single person went to medical school then every single person would not be making $110K plus as a doctor.

There are lower skill jobs that have to be done. If everyone gets a PhD than some PhDs are going to be waiting tables.
(02-14-2016, 10:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Why do people want us to be stuck as a manufacturing nation? We're more advanced than that. Learn a new school or go to school.

You're being sarcastic I hope. We are hardly "stuck" as a manufacturing nation. Like Benton said this has been going on since the 80's.
High tech has eliminated many manual labor and manufacturing jobs.
(02-14-2016, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It doesn't work like this.

If every single person went to medical school then every single person would not be making $110K plus as a doctor.

There are lower skill jobs that have to be done.  If everyone gets a PhD than some PhDs are going to be waiting tables.

Fred is absolutely correct on this one.
(02-14-2016, 12:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So are you going to force parents to be actually attentive parents?   The reason we need manufacturing is to handle the glut of low education workers who grew up with school not as a priority.     We need a balance.

We have service industry jobs for that.

So you apparently hate seeing Made in the USA? 

What a dumb thing to say. Lets totally elimnate a whole sector of jobs so everybody can go work at Burger King in the awesome service industry. 

Because screw middle class America. You been reading Mitt Romney propaganda?
(02-14-2016, 12:50 PM)Vlad Wrote: You're being sarcastic I hope. We are hardly "stuck" as a manufacturing nation. Like Benton said this has been going on since the 80's.
High tech has eliminated many manual labor and manufacturing jobs.

I wasn't being sarcastic nor do I believe we are stuck in manufacturing. I was asking a rhetorical question. This is all the natural progression of a post-industrial nation.

(02-14-2016, 02:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So you apparently hate seeing Made in the USA? 

What a dumb thing to say. Lets totally elimnate a whole sector of jobs so everybody can go work at Burger King in the awesome service industry. 

Because screw middle class America. You been reading Mitt Romney propaganda?

No, I just don't care. If our economy moves into a direction where we have less manufacturing jobs and we have more service jobs (not just serving burgers, mind you), then I don't see the problem. I have a service job. I'm a teacher. It's a public service. It's a broad word. It's like complaining in 1890 that there were less farmers. That's how we evolve.

(02-14-2016, 02:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, I just don't care. If our economy moves into a direction where we have less manufacturing jobs and we have more service jobs (not just serving burgers, mind you), then I don't see the problem.

Pretty sure he's alluding to an increase in the field of prostitution. 
Ninja
(02-14-2016, 12:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So are you going to force parents to be actually attentive parents?   The reason we need manufacturing is to handle the glut of low education workers who grew up with school not as a priority.     We need a balance.

or we could just leave education up to the individual, just a private pay....

Mellow

seriously though, there's always going to be someone at the bottom, whether its education, ability or other. We shouldn't set up the economy based around that and that's largely what were doing. States and the fed give huge breaks to manufacturers locating here. We don't do the same when someone wants to open up a 10 person medical research lab or some two guy in a garage operation trying to create new heat shielding.
(02-14-2016, 02:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I wasn't being sarcastic nor do I believe we are stuck in manufacturing. I was asking a rhetorical question. This is all the natural progression of a post-industrial nation.

No, I just don't care. If our economy moves into a direction where we have less manufacturing jobs and we have more service jobs (not just serving burgers, mind you), then I don't see the problem. I have a service job. I'm a teacher. It's a public service. It's a broad word. It's like complaining in 1890 that there were less farmers. That's how we evolve.

When the service industry gets taken over by technology and classes are taught online and classwork graded by a program , orders are taken by machines , meals are prepared by machines and delivered by drones , cars and buses drive themselves , i guess we can just move to an entertainment based economy and we will all go work in hollywood. 

But hey at least china and mexico will still make the things that the world needs.

We dont evolve by shipping our jobs off. We get better at them and need less manual labor , but that doesnt mean ship the remaining few to mexico and china. 
(02-14-2016, 04:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: When the service industry gets taken over by technology and classes are taught online and classwork graded by a program , orders are taken by machines , meals are prepared by machines and delivered by drones , cars and buses drive themselves , i guess we can just move to an entertainment based economy and we will all go work in hollywood. 

But hey at least china and mexico will still make the things that the world needs.

We dont evolve by shipping our jobs off. We get better at them and need less manual labor , but that doesnt mean ship the remaining few to mexico and china. 

Someone has to install and fix these machines. 

[Image: 0806-Took-Jerbs.jpg?quality=0.8]

At least we can still blame the Mexicans Ninja
(02-14-2016, 04:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Someone has to install and fix these machines. 

Hopefully we can find a way to give those jobs to china and mexico too. 
(02-14-2016, 06:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hopefully we can find a way to give those jobs to china and mexico too. 

That would be impressive