Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Impeachment?
(03-28-2019, 09:48 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: skipped a lot of things.  doesn't make up for the fact he was born in kenya!

Nor does it change the fact that if someone wants to make it about race they'll ignore all other data. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-28-2019, 12:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nor does it change the fact that if someone wants to make it about race they'll ignore all other data. 

right.  like the data which proves they now have better access to affordable healthcare.   
(03-28-2019, 11:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not taking the politics out of it by any means.  I'm saying that politics or not, "legitimate" reasons or not, the actual numbers for public support of the idea remains just about constant.

And we fall into the trap of "the other side is worse" arguments when our side is in office.  So there are posts and arguments (here and elsewhere on the interwebs) about how Party A is THE WORST and is NOTHING like Party B because "we" didn't do that.

Yes, yes they did.

And it's been going on for years.  

LOL I think we mostly say the other side is worse when THEY'RE in office.

My comment was intended as a general FYI. 

And yes, it is important to recognize that impeachment constant. That is a baseline from which we make our inferences.

My point is, partly, that this is a troubling constant when the performance of presidents varies so wildly.

Also, when people say "the other side is worse," they are generally right--by their standards. There is division because they are applying different criteria.  Democrats are clearly "worse" because they want to naturalize law-breaking Dreamers. Republicans are worse because they're ok with a p'grabbin' pres who separates children from asylum-seeking parents.   

So at the level of rhetoric, "both sides do it," as in call each other "the worst."
But at the level of substance, there is great difference.    
(03-28-2019, 03:10 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: right.  like the data which proves they now have better access to affordable healthcare.   

When you can't afford it in the first place, having access to "affordable" healthcare doesn't mean alot.
(03-28-2019, 03:10 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: right.  like the data which proves they now have better access to affordable healthcare.   

Zero idea what that has to do with the subject of this thread. Perhaps desperation

I wonder when exactly this poll was taken.

I know Obama was not popular with a certain portion of the population, but overall his Presidency was pretty scandal free. I can certainly understand a lot of Republicans wanting him voted out of office, but I don't remember a high number claiming there were any grounds to have him impeached.
(03-28-2019, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I wonder when exactly this poll was taken.

I know Obama was not popular with a certain portion of the population, but overall his Presidency was pretty scandal free.  I can certainly understand a lot of Republicans wanting him voted out of office, but I don't remember a high number claiming there were any grounds to have him impeached.

What started the search was an old meme that accused Paul Ryan of wanting to impeach Obama for trying to raise the minimum wage.  I didn't remember THAT ever happening so I did a search and found this story instead.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-28-2019, 03:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zero idea what that has to do with the subject of this thread. Perhaps desperation

More likely a direct response to you.  But you knew that.  Perhaps you're pretending.
(03-28-2019, 04:04 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: More likely a direct response to you.  But you knew that.  Perhaps you're pretending.

Nah, gotta admit I don't see "I knew that" the correlation of health care and this thread. I'm sure others do and perhaps they can help me see the light. 

(03-28-2019, 03:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: 2014

What started the search was an old meme that accused Paul Ryan of wanting to impeach Obama for trying to raise the minimum wage.  I didn't remember THAT ever happening so I did a search and found this story instead.

I often think I know what you are thinking, but I'm not that good.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-28-2019, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I wonder when exactly this poll was taken.

I know Obama was not popular with a certain portion of the population, but overall his Presidency was pretty scandal free.  I can certainly understand a lot of Republicans wanting him voted out of office, but I don't remember a high number claiming there were any grounds to have him impeached.

The usual suspects who think impeachment is for when you don't like the way a President governs.  I have to imagine you had people yelling impeachment over Obamacare.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-29-2019, 09:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I often think I know what you are thinking, but I'm not that good.  

So Facebook shows "memories", things posted over the last 10 years, I saw someone share in a political group a meme (from 2014 or 2013 I don't remember now) that said Paul Ryan makes $XXXXX a year and is trying to start impeachment against Obama for trying to raise the federal minimum wage.

I do NOT remember that happening at all.

So I do a google search to see if that is a real story or not.

In the search results I saw a story (from 2014) about a poll on who supported impeaching Obama and how that compared to other polls about the same subject for recent Presidents.

After reading the article about the polls I saw that, in general, the public has been at the same levels for wanting to impeach the sitting president no matter which party is for it.  That puts a kibosh on the trope thrown around that the Democrats are "screaming for impeachment" in levels never heard before.
(03-29-2019, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: So Facebook shows "memories", things posted over the last 10 years, I saw someone share in a political group a meme (from 2014 or 2013 I don't remember now) that said Paul Ryan makes $XXXXX a year and is trying to start impeachment against Obama for trying to raise the federal minimum wage.

In the search results I saw a story (from 2014) about a poll on who supported impeaching Obama and how that compared to other polls about the same subject for recent Presidents.

After reading the article about the polls I saw that, in general, the public has been at the same levels for wanting to impeach the sitting president no matter which party is for it.  That puts a kibosh on the trope thrown around that the Democrats are "screaming for impeachment" in levels never heard before.

Oh you were referring to the original story.  I thought you meant to leave a link to a new story.  

(03-29-2019, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh you were referring to the original story.  I thought you meant to leave a link to a new story.  

Sorry.  No problem.  I'd rather there be clarity I just wrote a shorter answer last time. Thanks.
(03-28-2019, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, gotta admit I don't see "I knew that" the correlation of health care and this thread. I'm sure others do and perhaps they can help me see the light. 

(03-29-2019, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The usual suspects who think impeachment is for when you don't like the way a President governs.  I have to imagine you had people yelling impeachment over Obamacare.  

thanks.
(03-29-2019, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: So Facebook shows "memories", things posted over the last 10 years, I saw someone share in a political group a meme (from 2014 or 2013 I don't remember now) that said Paul Ryan makes $XXXXX a year and is trying to start impeachment against Obama for trying to raise the federal minimum wage.

Sure it does--for people who do the search.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
(03-29-2019, 01:39 PM)Dill Wrote: Sure it does--for people who do the search.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

I'm trying to figure out what the picture has to do with the post you quoted.

(03-29-2019, 02:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm trying to figure out what the picture has to do with the post you quoted.

Implicature--people in the picture may fit the profile of "don't do the research." 
The media literacy of Trump followers is weak.
(03-29-2019, 10:00 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: thanks.

So it wasn't because of race and funny name. Thanks back to you.

(03-28-2019, 03:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: 2014

Depending on when in 2014, that was the year Obama released 5 Taliban terrorists (including senior leadership that were linked to the death of US troops) for Bergdahl.

I don't throw around the I-word, but I will admit that releasing 5 known American-killing terrorists for a deserter had me mentioning it.

So depending on the time of the year that poll was, it could have been tapping on that sentiment.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]