Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important: NFL Rules for Interviewing Coaches
Bengaldom,

Marvin Lewis is correct when he says coaching the Bengals in 2018 is "complicated." The NFL sets rules for scheduling interviews with current head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches which are found here:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

For example, there are different rules for interviewing assistant coaches who are on playoff teams vice those who are not. Please read this because it matters. Knowing these rules will cut down on rumor, speculation, and consumption of Tums, Jack Daniels, and presumably crack. In fact -- and I can't believe I'm saying this - it might be best to wait until coaches whose teams are eliminated in the playoffs to interview them. Similarly, other teams can interview any Cincinnati coach right now as the Bengals are not in the playoffs. This makes things very complicated, just as Marvin said.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Bengaldom,

Marvin Lewis is correct when he says coaching the Bengals in 2018 is "complicated."  The NFL sets rules for scheduling interviews with current head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches which are found here:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

For example, there are different rules for interviewing assistant coaches who are on playoff teams vice those who are not.  Please read this because it matters.  Knowing these rules will cut down on rumor, speculation, and consumption of Tums, Jack Daniels, and presumably crack.  In fact -- and I can't believe I'm saying this - it might be best to wait until coaches whose teams are eliminated in the playoffs to interview them.  Similarly, other teams can interview any Cincinnati coach right now as the Bengals are not in the playoffs.  This makes things very complicated, just as Marvin said.

I get that fan

What I don't get is why is Marvin even being considered to be the HC again ? Why doesn't Mike have the balls to come out and say Marvin won't be returning ?

In fact IMHO it's 90% or better likely that Marvin is coming back as the HC.
Reply/Quote

Marvin Lewis is correct when he says coaching the Bengals in 2018 is "complicated."  The NFL sets rules for scheduling interviews with current head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches which are found here:

For example, there are different rules for interviewing assistant coaches who are on playoff teams vice those who are not.  Please read this because it matters.  Knowing these rules will cut down on rumor, speculation, and consumption of Tums, Jack Daniels, and presumably crack.  In fact -- and I can't believe I'm saying this - it might be best to wait until coaches whose teams are eliminated in the playoffs to interview them.  Similarly, other teams can interview any Cincinnati coach right now as the Bengals are not in the playoffs.  This makes things very complicated, just as Marvin said.
I might take comfort in this if the Bengals had a HC vacancy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get that fan

What I don't get is why is Marvin even being considered to be the HC again ? Why doesn't Mike have the balls to come out and say Marvin won't be returning ?

In fact IMHO it's 90% or better likely that Marvin is coming back as the HC.

Marvin isn’t coming back as head coach in Cincinnati. Here’s the conundrum: Mike Brown is loyal to his “peeps.” We know this. Mike wants Marvin to stay somehow but the debate is in what capacity. GM? Head of Scouting?

However, Mike doesn’t want to hold Marvin back personally. A bad team who needs rebuilding should consider hiring Marvin as head coach, defensive coordinator, or GM. Arizona, Oakland, Indianapolis, and the Giants should seriously consider interviewing him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:40 PM)McC Wrote: I might take comfort in this if the Bengals had a HC vacancy.

We do. The question is where Marvin will go (1) within the organization or (2) if another team wants him.
Reply/Quote

It's been that way for quite awhile, including the last time the Bengals hired a head coach. The Giants, for example, have already requested permission to interview McDaniels and Patricia. If the Bengals actually wanted to, they could do the same.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's been that way for quite awhile, including the last time the Bengals hired a head coach. The Giants, for example, have already requested permission to interview McDaniels and Patricia. If the Bengals actually wanted to, they could do the same.

There's also reports of the Bengals reaching out to outside candidates. As of right now I think it's all still up in the air.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:51 PM)Synric Wrote: There's also reports of the Bengals reaching out to outside candidates. As of right now I think it's all still up in the air.

Why are you yelling at me? LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:
We do
.  The question is where Marvin will go (1) within the organization or (2) if another team wants him.

No we don't.   We have a HC whose contract has not yet expired, who will sign his new deal before the old one ends.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:51 PM)Synric Wrote: There's also reports of the Bengals reaching out to outside candidates. As of right now I think it's all still up in the air.

Cruel mind games by a cruel owner who wouldn't piss on a fan if he/she was on fire.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:55 PM)McC Wrote: Cruel mind games by a cruel owner who wouldn't piss on a fan if he/she was on fire.

Mike would pee to put out a fire. It’s cheaper than buying a fire extinguisher.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin isn’t coming back as head coach in Cincinnati.  Here’s the conundrum:  Mike Brown is loyal to his “peeps.” We know this.  Mike wants Marvin to stay somehow but the debate is in what capacity.  GM?  Head of Scouting?  

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Let’s see. Reporters can be wrong. Personally I hope Marvin interviews elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 05:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s see.  Reporters can be wrong. Personally I hope Marvin interviews elsewhere.

Marvin said it during the press conference.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 05:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s see.  Reporters can be wrong. Personally I hope Marvin interviews elsewhere.

You're absolutely right.  Look how wrong they were about Giggles leaving.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:55 PM)McC Wrote: Cruel mind games by a cruel owner who wouldn't piss on a fan if he/she was on fire.

With Mike's 82 year old prostate he/she will burn up long before the stream even gets started.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Marvin isn’t going to be GM.

1) that position doesn’t exist here

2) he said it himself, he wants to coach

3) promoting him to GM would set this franchise back even more than keeping him on as HC, as the potential probability of strife between him and nearly anyone hired to coach here would loom.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 05:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin said it during the press conference.

Made up by the media the same as half time adjustments are made up by the media?
Reply/Quote
Jim Harbaugh might be available. Just lost another bowl game
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 05:15 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: With Mike's 82 year old prostate he/she will burn up long before the stream even gets started.

LOL.  Another thing he can't get right.

Reply/Quote